No mo' Ground Team Alpha?

Started by Eclipse, September 19, 2018, 09:58:02 PM

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on September 20, 2018, 11:59:31 AM
I think combining them all is the best plan of action, that way no one gets left out, and we all know how important that is in our society today.

Red 1 Delta

Pink 7 X-ray

Tan 4 Tango

etc....

"Alpha Velveeta Knuckle Underwear, you are cleared for takeoff."

As a side note, our call out for finds has always been a musician or a band. I think last sarex it was Timberlake....

This is no longer allowed, either, despite common usage.
Since someone will ask, here's the cite:
Quote from: CAPR 100-3, Para 2.12.102.12.10. Use of locally created pro-words, or agency codes from other services such as law
enforcement 10-codes and "signal" codes, Q-Codes or other amateur radio terminology, and other
shorthand terminology not in this regulation.

TheSkyHornet

I just freaking lost it in the office

THRAWN

The first HOT SHOTS quote of the day! And probably the last.....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

audiododd

I think combining them all is the best plan of action, that way no one gets left out, and we all know how important that is in our society today.

Red 1 Delta

Pink 7 X-ray

Tan 4 Tango

etc....

Nice Hot Shots! reference  :D
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

lordmonar

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2018, 03:52:34 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2018, 03:44:30 AM
So GT25 becomes GT32 later in the day?

I guess that works.
Yeah. It makes it easier to track what their current tasking is, especially when you're running 7+ staging areas.
The only problem I can see with that, is that it does not follow the same rule as aircraft.   CP1234 is always CAPFLIGHT 34 no matter what the sortie number.   Now that may not be set in stone anywhere but that's they do it in NVWG.

Having said that....the way the air force does it...is by mission number.    REDRUM 11 is the first sortie of the day for the REDRUM squadron.   Tail 123 might fly 2-3 sorties in a day  and it would be REDRUM 11 on the first sortie and REDRUM 14 on the second (REDRUM 12 and 13 being flown by other sorties)....and if they are standard mission they would repeat the cycle again the next day.

It is a six of one half dozen of the other sort of thing.
It would be nice to be consistant and maybe do it the same way in every wing....but at the end of the day.....so long and mission base and the actual teams know who is who....it does not really matter that much.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on September 28, 2018, 06:59:37 PMCP1234 is always CAPFLIGHT 34 no matter what the sortie number.   Now that may not be set in stone anywhere but that's they do it in NVWG.

CAP aircraft callsigns haven't used "flight" for at least 4-5 years, probably longer.
CAPR 100-1, Page 29:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R100_001_162D77B8183A1.pdf
"7.13.3. Aircraft Call Signs. CAP corporate aircraft use the call sign "CAP" (pronounced
"kap") plus a three or four-digit number at all times, except as provided in para. 7.13.3.3. and 7.13.3.4. below."

As I recall the change occurred when the airline using it went out of business.

Edit: Actually 2009 http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9097.0

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: lordmonar on September 28, 2018, 06:59:37 PMThe only problem I can see with that, is that it does not follow the same rule as aircraft. ... Now that may not be set in stone anywhere but that's they do it in NVWG.
It is essentially set in stone, the only permitted use of a functional designator by CAP aircraft is "Highbird" - refer CAPR 100-1 para 7.13.3.4.

I can see why you wouldn't want the pilot/observer to have to keep switching between callsigns depending on whether they're talking to ATC on the air-band radio or a ground-team on the CAP frequencies.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on September 28, 2018, 06:59:37 PMThe only problem I can see with that, is that it does not follow the same rule as aircraft. ... Now that may not be set in stone anywhere but that's they do it in NVWG.

Maybe NVWG needs to check the reg to make sure they're doing it right.

Vegas1972

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2018, 11:21:00 PM

Maybe NVWG needs to check the reg to make sure they're doing it right.

I've been in NVWG for 3 years and have never heard capflight xx ...it's always been CAPxx since I've been here.   I think it was just a mistype molehill that's being turned into a mountain. 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

Luis R. Ramos

I have been in CAP for 24 years or so and initially I used CAPFlightXXXX (pronounced CAPFlitexxxx).

About 15 years ago or so it changed to CAPXXXX.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Vegas1972

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 29, 2018, 01:44:09 AM
I have been in CAP for 24 years or so and initially I used CAPFlightXXXX (pronounced CAPFlitexxxx).

About 15 years ago or so it changed to CAPXXXX.f

Yep.  That was established 3 or 4 posts ago. 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 29, 2018, 01:44:09 AM

About 15 years ago or so it changed to CAPXXXX.
To be specific - CAPR 100-3 (C1) 24 MARCH 2010
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Does >anyone< read anything but the last post in a thread anymore?

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Nope.

That WAS the reason for what I wrote. In the SAME tone that person wrote. Apparently HE or SHE missed the message of "three or four posts ago..."

I could swear that today's media makes more people reacting rather than thinking about what they just read...

Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

This happens in part I think because in a thread, you are not reading consecutively. You are reading it in interrupted periods.

You read several messages. Several days pass. You come back and read only the latest responses, and forget what was posted before.

In reality, what was "posted three or four messages ago" may have been posted "several days ago" as well so you loose the connection. Unless you start reading the thread from the beginning again you will not remember that what was answered or established "three or four posts ago."

Squadron Safety Officer

ol'fido

At our recent WLE, my group had two ground teams in the field. These teams were from two of the squadrons in the group. Because it was a wing level exercise and there might be several ground teams in the field from all over the state, we used unit charters as functional identifiers. One team was Ground Team  061 and one was Ground Team 286. We knew which team was which immediately and which area they were working in. It also prevented confusion with other teams from other groups in the wing. If there were more than one team from a unit, we could use a phonetic suffix such as Ground Team 061 Alpha.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006