Main Menu

Cheyenne Mountain

Started by Nikos, April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM

Nikos

I heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed? 

Holding Pattern

The Stargate program, probably.

Fubar

Came here for the StargateTM reference.

Was not disappointed.

almostspaatz

C/Maj Steve Garrett

PHall

Quote from: Nikos on April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM
I heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed?

Place is a bit expensive to run.

Salty

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 08, 2015, 11:13:57 PM

Good to know the BRAC changed it's mind so the program can continue.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

PHall

Quote from: Salty on April 09, 2015, 02:10:31 AM

BRAC had nothing to do with the Mountain's mothballing. NORAD trying to save a buck/loony or two was the reason.
The reasoning was that with the reduced threat level they could operate out of Peterson Field at a greatly reduced cost.

a2capt

LSThiker

Quote from: Salty on April 09, 2015, 02:10:31 AM

If true, you can thank Russia for threatening nuclear action against us. The decision was hardly a BRAC decision but rather financial decision that has probably just seen a budget increase.

Nikos

I was wondering if someone in high places might be thinking that there is a chance, the "spaghetti might hit the fan"! 

sardak

QuoteI heard today that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is going to reopen.  Anyone know why it was closed?
It never closed nor was it mothballed. In the last third of the video posted above, and on the NORAD website, http://www.norad.mil/AboutNORAD/CheyenneMountainAirForceStation.aspx they explain that the complex is owned, operated and used by USAF Space Command, and in 2008 was designated the NORTHCOM/NORAD Alternate Command Center. Both sources explain why the primary command center was moved to Peterson AFB in 2006.

Two weeks ago Raytheon Technical Services was awarded a contract to "provide sustainment services and products supporting the Integrated Tactical Warning/Attack Assessment (ITW/AA) and Space Support Contract covered systems. Work will be performed at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado; Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colorado; Vandenberg Air Force Base, California; and Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska." They're not "reopening" Cheyenne Mountain.

Mike

corrected link

Mela_007

Oddly enough, Stargate SG-1 is why I'm in CAP.  ::)
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

almostspaatz

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 01:18:30 AM

I'm curious how you drew the connection....i don't think Richard Dean Anderson was in CAP...

Does the Space Command Familiarization Course NCSA include inter-galactic travel? The one in CO includes a visit to Cheyenne mountain...  ;D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Holding Pattern

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 10, 2015, 01:32:45 AM
Quote from: Mela_007 on April 10, 2015, 01:18:30 AM

I'm curious how you drew the connection....i don't think Richard Dean Anderson was in CAP...

Does the Space Command Familiarization Course NCSA include inter-galactic travel? The one in CO includes a visit to Cheyenne mountain...  ;D

SG-1 brought a lot of good press to the AF, and by extension CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

As others..came to see if a reference would be dropped. Wasn't disappointed, but now I'm sad.

Mela_007

I figured someone would wonder how I had the connection.   ;) 

I had been watching a lot of Stargate SG-1 in 2013 and reading the books.  One of the books or fan fiction referred to Service dress uniform once and dress uniform another time.  I was curious what the difference was (not knowing much about USAF uniforms), so I Google'd the difference.  Civil Air Patrol uniform stuff came up as many of the results, so I got to looking closer at what the Civil Air Patrol was.  At one time in my youth, I wanted to be a medi-flight pilot so that I could help people.  I decided that emotionally I probably couldn't handle that day in and day out, so I went a different direction with my career.  However, the bug for flying and the wish to help people (particularly in a first responder type of way) never left me.  I saw the potential in CAP to not only get in the air, but also to help people (ES).  So, here I am!

I agree that SG-1 brought a lot of good press for the AF!  I think it was really well done and I got a kick out of how even a couple of the USAF Joint Chiefs had small roles in a couple of episodes.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Holding Pattern

I kinda wish we could steal the stargate program for some fun cadet programs.

Luis R. Ramos

Although I did watch SG-1 regularly and know it was supposed to be taking place in there, whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 11, 2015, 01:28:39 PM
Although I did watch SG-1 regularly and know it was supposed to be taking place in there, whenever someone mentions Cheyenne Mountain or NORAD, my first thought is of the movie War Games. Since no one has mentioned that movie yet, it apparently means I am the oldest person here! It hurts...

Sorry.  I loved the movie War Games. When I hear Cheyenne Mountain, I think War Games. When I hear NORAD, I think the military.

Nikos

I always liked the movie "War Games" as well.  The set of the communications room was outstanding!  Only to be rivaled by the "war room " set in Dr. Strangelove.  I am sure in the real world things are much different.