The New CAPM 39-1 Now Available

Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Good deal on the use of graphics. Gets right to the point.

Alaric

Looks like the big winner here is Vanguard, as they can now make more low quality, overpriced items to sell

Phil Hirons, Jr.

1.2.5.1. During Commercial Travel. When traveling in an official capacity on commercial air, in CONUS (to include Alaska and Hawaii)...

Last I checked, the Continental United States does not include Alaska & Hawaii

arajca

I see they wised up and dumped pictures, using clean graphics instead.

Storm Chaser

It looks like many of the issues I pointed out during the draft review period were corrected. I'm very satisfy with the way they included and listened to the membership during this process. It may not be perfect, but it's a huge improvement over the previous manual.

Alaric

From the manual

6.3.1.2.2. Faddish styles and mirrored lenses are prohibited. Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons, e.g., PRK/Lasik surgery.

So that means CAP expects me to buy a new pair of glasses just to wear in formations?  Way to not think it through.  If the formation is outside anyone wearing photosensitive lenses is going to have a problem.  I'm not spending another 400 dollars just for formations, looks like no RSC for me.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 06:46:03 PM
It looks like many of the issues I pointed out during the draft review period were corrected. I'm very satisfy with the way they included and listened to the membership during this process. It may not be perfect, but it's a huge improvement over the previous manual.
Like General Patton said, I prefer a good plan violently executed NOW over a perfect plan that's too late.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Alaric

Quote from: NIN on June 26, 2014, 06:53:32 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 06:46:03 PM
Like General Patton said, I prefer a good plan violently executed NOW over a perfect plan that's too late.

Presumes facts not in evidence (i.e. that this is a good plan).  The only good I see from it is for Vanguard as previously stated.  It will get me out of any event that requires an outdoor formation though since I won't be able to wear my glasses. (photosensitive)

Luis R. Ramos

Phil-

Do not forget Puerto Rico! Oh those poor members in PR...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
From the manual

6.3.1.2.2. Faddish styles and mirrored lenses are prohibited. Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons, e.g., PRK/Lasik surgery.

So that means CAP expects me to buy a new pair of glasses just to wear in formations?  Way to not think it through.  If the formation is outside anyone wearing photosensitive lenses is going to have a problem.  I'm not spending another 400 dollars just for formations, looks like no RSC for me.

No, it means you're not authorized to wear sunglasses in formation. If you want to wear sunglasses in uniform, not in formation, then they have to meet the requirement. They don't have to cost $400. And by the way, that requirement is in the previous CAPM 39-1 too; nothing changed here.

Tim Medeiros

From the manual

That's actually the rule, verbatim if I recall, from the AF.  Considering in the summary it mentions it used AFI 36-2903 as the template, this is why that exists.

Also, last RSC I was out, we didn't really have formations outside, only one inside each day to get inspected.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

inactive123

I guess HMRS will have everyone wear black undershirts next year for BDUs.
C/MSgt

Alaric

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 26, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
From the manual

That's actually the rule, verbatim if I recall, from the AF.  Considering in the summary it mentions it used AFI 36-2903 as the template, this is why that exists.

Also, last RSC I was out, we didn't really have formations outside, only one inside each day to get inspected.

I'm not in the Air Force and the US Government doesn't pay for my glasses.  At NER RSC, there is an outdoor formation every day. 

Alaric

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 07:10:36 PM
From the manual

No, it means you're not authorized to wear sunglasses in formation. If you want to wear sunglasses in uniform, not in formation, then they have to meet the requirement. They don't have to cost $400. And by the way, that requirement is in the previous CAPM 39-1 too; nothing changed here.

I don't have sunglasses, I have prescription photosensitive lenses, which of course will darken when I go outside, since that's their purpose.  My glasses (with frame allowance) cost 400 dollars as I am extremely myopic.

BHartman007

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
From the manual

I don't have sunglasses, I have prescription photosensitive lenses, which of course will darken when I go outside, since that's their purpose.  My glasses (with frame allowance) cost 400 dollars as I am extremely myopic.

How were you going to do it before, since this was the rule even in the old 39-1? You couldn't take them off long enough to stand in a formation?

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Alaric

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 26, 2014, 07:28:30 PM
From the manual

How were you going to do it before, since this was the rule even in the old 39-1? You couldn't take them off long enough to stand in a formation?

Nobody has ever made a comment about my glasses when I was in formation, and they've been darkening since I joined.  No, I literally can't see the E without my glasses, and have them on from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, I even swim with them on.

Storm Chaser

From the manual

If they're prescription, they're allowed.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:20:05 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 26, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
From the manual

I'm not in the Air Force and the US Government doesn't pay for my glasses.  At NER RSC, there is an outdoor formation every day.
The Air Force and US Gov doesn't pay for photosensitive lenses either, at least not the times I went to the med group for my eye appointment.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811