The New CAPM 39-1 Now Available

Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

TexasCadet

Is it just me, or does the shield device on cadet enlisted insignia look a little different?

lordmonar

So the big question for us NCOs.....when will Vanguard have the new stripes?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2014, 09:40:44 PM
So the big question for us NCOs.....when will Vanguard have the new stripes?

I'm putting my money on 6 months after the next revision to 39-1.

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 26, 2014, 09:26:24 PM
Now it can be told...

Lt Col Preston Perrenot and myself worked on the uniform illustrations that grace the new 39-1. That and fifty cents won't even get me a cup of coffee! :D

Well that explains why they look so familiar and high quality.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Mela_007

Personally, I am glad they stuck with the ultramarine blue tape for the BBDUs.  I was not looking forward to changing the tapes either!!  :o  I believe one comment that I did submit was that if we went with the navy blue background tape on the BBDUs we would essentially look exactly like the current uniforms worn by both the US Coast Guard and the NOAA Corp.  I know they are not our parent services, but I feel as a civilian entity we should not have an exact copy of any of the uniformed service uniforms...JMHO. 
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

RiverAux

Still can't believe that we decided to downplay the importance of uniforms by no longer requiring them to be worn during normal CAP duties. 

Mela_007

Quote from: RiverAux on June 26, 2014, 09:50:38 PM
Still can't believe that we decided to downplay the importance of uniforms by no longer requiring them to be worn during normal CAP duties. 
I didn't see that, but then I have not had a chance to read through it much yet.  That stinks!!   :-\
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Storm Chaser

The miniature Incident Commander badges are supposed to be 1 1/8" wide according to the new CAPM 39-1, but the one I bought three months ago is significantly smaller than that.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: TexasCadet on June 26, 2014, 09:38:18 PM
Is it just me, or does the shield device on cadet enlisted insignia look a little different?

I think it was simplified for illustrative purposes. Some of the fine detail such as the stars, stripes and propeller in the cadet shield would have been difficult to discern when printed. Not to worry, the insignia still specs out properly.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Slim

Quote from: Mela_007 on June 26, 2014, 09:48:25 PM
Personally, I am glad they stuck with the ultramarine blue tape for the BBDUs.  I was not looking forward to changing the tapes either!!  :o  I believe one comment that I did submit was that if we went with the navy blue background tape on the BBDUs we would essentially look exactly like the current uniforms worn by both the US Coast Guard and the NOAA Corp.  I know they are not our parent services, but I feel as a civilian entity we should not have an exact copy of any of the uniformed service uniforms...JMHO.

Honestly, on my BBDUs (which are navy blue as specified, not dark navy), the ultramarine tapes look better than the dark navy would.

Slim

gshayd

I am reading the new 39-1

Figure 4.6 Male Service Dress Uniforms (Officer, NCO, Cadet Officers [Old Style], and Cadet
NCOs and Airmen [New Style])

4.1.5.4.1.1. Officers and NCOs. The US lapel insignia will be placed
halfway up the seam, resting on but not over it. The "US" letters in the insignia are parallel with the
ground. Circles are worn around the US insignias for NCOs only. NCOs wearing old USAF-style
chevrons until the new chevrons are available will wear CAP cutouts on the collar.

4.1.5.5. Long-Sleeve/Short-Sleeve Blue Shirt

I would assume that the cutouts would still be worn on the collar of the BDU until you put the new CAP chevrons on?

4.1.5.5.2.2. NCOs, adult individuals without grade and Cadet airmen basic
do not wear "CAP" insignia on the shirt collar when the service coat is worn

I assume that they left this out of 4.1.5.5.2.2

NCOs wearing old USAF-style
chevrons until the new chevrons are available will wear CAP cutouts on the collar.

confused.........

Okay went to the Attachment with the NCO rank and it makes sense now.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:30:48 PM
Quote from: BHartman007 on June 26, 2014, 07:28:30 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
From the manual

6.3.1.2.2. Faddish styles and mirrored lenses are prohibited. Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons, e.g., PRK/Lasik surgery.

So that means CAP expects me to buy a new pair of glasses just to wear in formations?  Way to not think it through.  If the formation is outside anyone wearing photosensitive lenses is going to have a problem.  I'm not spending another 400 dollars just for formations, looks like no RSC for me.

No, it means you're not authorized to wear sunglasses in formation. If you want to wear sunglasses in uniform, not in formation, then they have to meet the requirement. They don't have to cost $400. And by the way, that requirement is in the previous CAPM 39-1 too; nothing changed here.

I don't have sunglasses, I have prescription photosensitive lenses, which of course will darken when I go outside, since that's their purpose.  My glasses (with frame allowance) cost 400 dollars as I am extremely myopic.

How were you going to do it before, since this was the rule even in the old 39-1? You couldn't take them off long enough to stand in a formation?

Nobody has ever made a comment about my glasses when I was in formation, and they've been darkening since I joined.  No, I literally can't see the E without my glasses, and have them on from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, I even swim with them on.

Option 1: take the glasses off in formation and put them in your pocket.

Option 2: ignore any dirty looks or comments you may encounter when you wear them.  What are they going to do, 2B you for wearing necessary prescription glasses?

I think you can  stop losing sleep over this one.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on June 26, 2014, 09:50:38 PM

The uniforms have been gradually downplayed for years.  This just codifies it.  Whoever came up with this WD of an idea... >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

Quote from: a2capt on June 26, 2014, 05:30:53 PM
Good deal on the use of graphics. Gets right to the point.

I concur, much clearer.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 26, 2014, 09:26:24 PM
Now it can be told...

Lt Col Preston Perrenot and myself worked on the uniform illustrations that grace the new 39-1. That and fifty cents won't even get me a cup of coffee! :D

:clap:

Outstanding.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

The CyBorg is destroyed

And, of course, they still say the "CAP Baseball cap" is authorised headgear for the G/W kit, but they don't say what constitutes a CAP baseball cap.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: CyBorg on June 26, 2014, 11:16:41 PM
And, of course, they still say the "CAP Baseball cap" is authorised headgear for the G/W kit, but they don't say what constitutes a CAP baseball cap.
They leave that to wing/region commanders, with some guidance of what cannot be on there.

Also, the only change to this is that before it was unit commanders that could make the approval.....
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

I agree, but like all things CAP, they are "good enough" instead of "great".

A mixture of photo and graphic elements, some fairly glaring errors, and what's with the black and white photo of
the Goretex jacket when there's a color diagram of one in the same document.

This is what happens when something is hidden from public comment in the last round, and then rushed out the
door in the 11th hour.

Totally unnecessary, when you consider this has been cooking for several years in the revised format.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

I noticed the new "aircrew" wings (with three levels) made it into this from the draft. Anyone know when 35-6 is on track to be updated to include them?

ColonelJack

Maybe I missed it, but ...

In the section on when the uniform should and (specifically) should not be worn, one big thing seems to have been left out:

"When engaged in private employment."

Or did I miss it?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 12:10:46 AM

I agree, but like all things CAP, they are "good enough" instead of "great".

A mixture of photo and graphic elements, some fairly glaring errors, and what's with the black and white photo of
the Goretex jacket when there's a color diagram of one in the same document.

This is what happens when something is hidden from public comment in the last round, and then rushed out the
door in the 11th hour.

Totally unnecessary, when you consider this has been cooking for several years in the revised format.
Yea....if all the unpaid volunteers would just get off their butts and do their jobs right.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP