Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

BHartman007

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:30:48 PM
Quote from: BHartman007 on June 26, 2014, 07:28:30 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
From the manual

6.3.1.2.2. Faddish styles and mirrored lenses are prohibited. Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons, e.g., PRK/Lasik surgery.

So that means CAP expects me to buy a new pair of glasses just to wear in formations?  Way to not think it through.  If the formation is outside anyone wearing photosensitive lenses is going to have a problem.  I'm not spending another 400 dollars just for formations, looks like no RSC for me.

No, it means you're not authorized to wear sunglasses in formation. If you want to wear sunglasses in uniform, not in formation, then they have to meet the requirement. They don't have to cost $400. And by the way, that requirement is in the previous CAPM 39-1 too; nothing changed here.

I don't have sunglasses, I have prescription photosensitive lenses, which of course will darken when I go outside, since that's their purpose.  My glasses (with frame allowance) cost 400 dollars as I am extremely myopic.

How were you going to do it before, since this was the rule even in the old 39-1? You couldn't take them off long enough to stand in a formation?

Nobody has ever made a comment about my glasses when I was in formation, and they've been darkening since I joined.  No, I literally can't see the E without my glasses, and have them on from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, I even swim with them on.

Well, just wear a corporate style uniform. That requirement is only listed under USAF style standards.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Garp

it was in the old manual, so if you were in a Air Force uniform you weren't compliant before.  New manual also has it under the Air Force uniform side, so as long as you are wearing corporates you can wear sunglasses in formation.

vento

So far the only contradicting info (text vs graph) that I can find is concerning the name tape and rank insignia for the BBDU and the Blue Field Jacket. The text says "Ultramarine blue" while the graphs show, well a combination of ultramarine and dark blue.  >:D

NIN

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:20:05 PM
I'm not in the Air Force and the US Government doesn't pay for my glasses.  At NER RSC, there is an outdoor formation every day.

Oh well.  Request an exception to policy. Otherwise....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Alaric

Quote from: Garp on June 26, 2014, 07:41:43 PM
it was in the old manual, so if you were in a Air Force uniform you weren't compliant before.  New manual also has it under the Air Force uniform side, so as long as you are wearing corporates you can wear sunglasses in formation.

No I was wearing corporates then, I just made weight this month.  Guess I'll keep the aviator whites.

CAPAPRN

Congrats on making weight Rob- sorry the sunglasses won't go with it. I know my glasses that cost $700 at lens crafter type store cost only 120 or so at a big box optometry place. I actually get cheapos at the VA ("these would look good on a women" as they show me yet another set of men's frames) but my husband gets cheapos at Targ.. -
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Eclipse

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
From the manual

6.3.1.2.2. Faddish styles and mirrored lenses are prohibited. Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons, e.g., PRK/Lasik surgery.

So that means CAP expects me to buy a new pair of glasses just to wear in formations?  Way to not think it through.  If the formation is outside anyone wearing photosensitive lenses is going to have a problem.  I'm not spending another 400 dollars just for formations, looks like no RSC for me.

Take off your glasses for the formation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:56:11 PM

No I was wearing corporates then, I just made weight this month.  Guess I'll keep the aviator whites.

No need. You can wear your prescription photosensitive glasses in formation.

Quote from: New CAPM 39-1, para. 6.3.1.2.2
Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons... (emphasis mine)

Not being able to see without prescription glasses IS a "medical reason".

LSThiker

A quick read of it and my impression is good.  The graphics look nice over any photos.  It seems as they corrected a few things.  I like the National Staff Badge.  Unfortunately, I did not see a phase out date for the dark navy nametapes for the BBDUs.  Will need to read in more depth later.

Eclipse

∆ There is no phase out.  Blue field uniform tapes stay ultramarine.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 08:28:49 PM

I find that strange. Why have grade insignias with dark blue background and keep the tapes and badges ultramarine?

Eclipse

∆ The diagram is incorrect. The text indicates ultramarine for grade as well.

Wow, a lot of the diagrams are wrong in that regard.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Go to Zennioptical.com.  Chinese eyeglasses for $30.00.  Order a clear pair for military work.

BHartman007

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 26, 2014, 08:18:41 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:56:11 PM

No need. You can wear your prescription photosensitive glasses in formation.

Quote from: New CAPM 39-1, para. 6.3.1.2.2
Sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) are not authorized in formation. Exception: Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, unless for medical reasons... (emphasis mine)

Not being able to see without prescription glasses IS a "medical reason".

He doesn't have a medical need for sunglasses, just glasses.  The part you didn't copy says "IE: Lasik surgery". The exception is for a medical need to reduce light to the eyes, not a way to wear dark glasses all the time.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

NIN

Quote from: AirAux on June 26, 2014, 08:51:17 PM
Go to Zennioptical.com.  Chinese eyeglasses for $30.00.  Order a clear pair for military work.

Coastal.com "First Pair Free"   

I blew $400 on a pair of really sweet Oakleys (progressive lenses, etc) as my first pair of glasses. I wore them for 2 weeks until my glasses from Coastal showed up (expecting they'd fit under my full-face skydiving helmet. They did not).

The pair from Coastal have been on my face for 18 months+.  They cost me $14 (shipping & insurance).

I also ordered a 2nd pair from EyeBuyDirect (that also did not fit under my skydiving helmet) and they were $27.

You have options.  I'm still looking for a nice pair of aviator frames so I can get lenses ground.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on June 26, 2014, 06:40:19 PM
1.2.5.1. During Commercial Travel. When traveling in an official capacity on commercial air, in CONUS (to include Alaska and Hawaii)...

Last I checked, the Continental United States does not include Alaska & Hawaii
I guesss that is why the add "to include Alaska and Hawaii".  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 08:46:24 PM
∆ The diagram is incorrect. The text indicates ultramarine for grade as well.

Wow, a lot of the diagrams are wrong in that regard.

Possibly. Or maybe the text is wrong. Figure A5-2 on page 125 has both side by side.

I also noticed that there are discrepancies between the text on the placement of patches on the BDU and those in the Attachment 4 table.

AlphaSigOU

Now it can be told...

Lt Col Preston Perrenot and myself worked on the uniform illustrations that grace the new 39-1. That and fifty cents won't even get me a cup of coffee! :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 08:28:49 PM

Well I guess that explains why I did not see a phase out date.  I really was not looking for that change apparently.  Unfortunate as dark navy would look better, but nevertheless saves some money I guess.  Eh oh well. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Alaric on June 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
I don't have sunglasses, I have prescription photosensitive lenses, which of course will darken when I go outside, since that's their purpose.  My glasses (with frame allowance) cost 400 dollars as I am extremely myopic.

Seconded.  I have quite pronounced astigmatism and have to wear bifocals.  I am restricted to driving with glasses or contact lenses.  My glasses darken outside and it is a great help to me.

They're in a low key, almost Radar O'Reilly/John Lennon type of frame.  They are not gaudy or faddish.

I am not taking them off.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011