Proposal: Require progression in professional development

Started by dwb, April 09, 2008, 03:27:28 PM

Short Field

Just went back and check the record of one of our CAP Lt Cols - a retired USAF O6.  He is still Level I despite having completed War College.  He is one heck of a leader and pilot and greatly contributes to our Wing mission.

He has credit for War College - but it was applied against RSC instead of ECI-13.  The rest of his military schools don't count because they are outside the 20 year window to be counted.  If he ever decides to complete ECI-13, he would bounce up to Level IV immediately.

ECI-13 works for the people it was targeted at - new non-military career types.  For a senior military NCO or Officer to take it is just mindless busy work.  Too much work for too little return for some people.   

I was lucky I had enough equivlant schools to fill the squares - as my commissioning program, the two time I completed SOS (correspondence & in-residence), and the first time I completed ACSC (correspondence) didn't count for anything. 

;)
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

Quote from: bosshawk on April 11, 2008, 12:17:30 AM
Folks add me to the list of those who have been in CAP for fifteen years and has not gotten Level Two.

That said, I have commanded a Sq, been the deputy twice, am currently on the Wing Staff as a Director of a major program, have done UCC, SLS, CLS, Level one, been to more Wing Conferences than I can count, have taught at several CLC and SLS and simply have never gotten the Certificate of Proficiency or whatever it is called for Level Two.  As I see it, I qualify for Level Three, maybe even level Four.

I am a graduate of Army ROTC, Commissioned in the Army for 30 years, retired as a Colonel, graduated from the Basic Officers Course, the Advance Course, Command and General Staff College, the War College and several MOS producing courses over the years.

I am a Mission Pilot, a Mission Scanner, a Mission Check Pilot, an instructor in the Mt Flying Course, an AOBD, a Planning Branch Director and I suspect some more things that I can't remember right now.

Now, because I haven't jumped through all the hoops that some of you propose, you will make me a Patron??????????   Huh?????????

Paul, actually if you sit down with a Personnel person who is on the ball, thay can do all that paperwork in a couple of hours (max) and get you up to date. From what I see, you should be good through Level IV. I'm not going to look it all up tonight, but I think that's where you stand/sit.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Quote from: lordmonar on April 11, 2008, 04:44:36 AM
O-Rex,

I agree with you 100% about what we "should" be doing as good leaders, officers and mentors.

But in this case we are talking about FORCING people to do these things or kicking them out...ops sorry changing them to patron status (i.e. taking their money but not letting them play). ;D

As for credentials...a 20+ year AD Lt Col already has more credentials then CAP could ever give them as far as PD is concerned.

Again I point the finger at the PD program itself.  The training needs to be timely and relevant.

On time and On target.

We need to offer it more often, we need to make it longer and more focused on leadership and less on "this is CAP" and it needs to be more focused on the needs of the squadron.

As I said before, you really can't expect to enforce a "up or out" policy to a membership that pays for the privilege of being members.

It's not like the military, where there are only so many Colonel slots as mandated by Congress, and far more applicants seeking them.   But funny thing: I remember someone in another thread actually dug into the stats, and found that the distribution of rank among CAP members wasn't that far off from that of USAF. 

If a member wants to keep their PD in second gear, that's up to them.

HOWEVER, my pet peeve is SMWOG's who become Sqdn CC's and are appointed to 1st Lt, then Capt after a year, don't pursue any PME program, and there they sit for years.

Also, I have known some gurus in Commo, ES, AE etc. who but PME on the back-burner,  take their respective functional areas to the next level, and THEN realize the need to progress in the program, because they begin to interface with other agencies or the public and find that there might be the appearance of a credibility gap as a 5-year Second Lieutenant who holds a wing-level position or higher.  Sure;  the CAP Major title and three bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but other agencies and/or Mil branches see it differently, and perception is important.

I'll admit that the current CAP PME program needs to kick it up a notch (some in my circle refer to CLC and SLS as "show up, maintain a pulse and get a certificate..)  and I understand that there is an effort underway to revamp it. 

As for current/former military: IMHO, I kind of have a problem with the 20 year limit for PME credit for mil schools: I guess folks feel that you'll brain-drain what you learned in OTS/OCS after 20 years. . . .  As for the Mil Officer with the schooling and command time, if they have the experience and werewhitall from their 'past-life,' then they will soon realize that CAP is it's own breed of animal, and appreciate the need to learn it's nuances (I came to CAP with a former mil's perspective, and had to make some adjustments.)

To all who balk at CAP PME, I'd admit that in it's current state, it's far from ideal, but like many other things in CAP (and life in-general) you get out what you put into it.  If you make the committment and extra effort (particularly with respect to SOS, ACSC and AWC) you might find the experience rewarding, and gain alot of credibility, both personally and for the organization.  You don't need to clutter your ribbon rack or your 'love me wall' with PME doo-dads: just understanding the different areas of CAP, and being able to effectively articulate who we are and what we do will have an impact on others, in CAP and out.     

bosshawk

Pat: thanks for clarifying BTDT.  I certainly qualify for that card, having had two years in Germany, a year in Korea and a year in VN and several tours in the Pentagon.

Dave Bowles: I have tried that route, including the Wing CoS, and can't seem to get anyone off the dime.  Therefore, I just move on and get my job done.

Getting a certificate or a decoration or a ribbon or achieving some level of PD simply doesn't rank very high in my hierachy.  As Pat said, Been There/Done That excuses some things.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Fifinella

Here's my bottom line:  I work with cadets.  My cadets, being children, ask very blunt questions, such as "why is that old pilot still a 1LT?"  Hmmm, how do I answer that?

Rationally, I can understand the reasons people have for not doing PD.  But I see *everyone* in CAP as a role model for the cadets.

I don't want to offend anyone.  I know the paperwork can be a hassle.  But please consider the example you're setting for the cadets. 
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RiverAux

While there are quite a few former military members in CAP, I see no reason to warp our training system to try to accomodate their past training activities.  They're in CAP now.  While I don't agree with this particular proposal, there is no reason that were it to be adopted that we exempt military members. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Fifinella on April 11, 2008, 05:10:44 PM
Here's my bottom line:  I work with cadets.  My cadets, being children, ask very blunt questions, such as "why is that old pilot still a 1LT?"  Hmmm, how do I answer that?

Rationally, I can understand the reasons people have for not doing PD.  But I see *everyone* in CAP as a role model for the cadets.

I don't want to offend anyone.  I know the paperwork can be a hassle.  But please consider the example you're setting for the cadets. 

You explain that Seniors have different priorities and offer different things to the program.  You explain that that person is an adult with a family, responsibilities and a job and is in CAP for a different reason than a 16 year old cadet who is still living at home with mom and dad.  You explain to them that promotion in CAP has a different meaning than a promotion to a cadet and that Senior promotion is not a requirement in the program, and that the "old pilot" performs an important role in the unit regardless of their rank.   And then you tell them, "That old pilot doesn't answer to you cadet, and I better never hear you speak about a Senior Member in a disrespectful manner again."

I am not opposed to PD, but quite honestly, most PD is designed for people with no military background. I can guarantee the NCO school I attended in the Marines along with my professional background has far exceeded any weekend course in public speaking and military tradition CAP can teach.  Will I do PD?  Sure, I would like to move up in the program, but there is no need to require it.  I find it funny that the members who were never in the military are the ones who always seem to want military training exempted from promotion requirements and that someone believes attending the Air War College as military officer has no place in the promotion process.
Again, I have no issue with going to SLS or CLC, and frankly would love to go, and I am sure I would bring something away from it..  The fact is, its offered once or twice per year.  I have a career where my schedule changes quite often, and over the last couple of years getting the time off to go has been impossible. Not to mention, the last two times I have been signed up for SLS, I was called into work on the very weekend of the course.  But I still find it disturbing that people would suggest that members like myself, and Bosshawk and others should at this point be dropped to Patron Status or would consider us poor role models based on whether or not we attended a weekend course and finished ECI-13.

RiverAux

I think you've really misinterpreted our professional development program if you think its primary purpose is to provide a substitute education in military leadership to CAP members. 

Flying Pig

No, I know exactly what it is.  And Im not opposed to taking the courses.  However I don't agree that it should be required with penalties attached if they are not completed.  I am perfectly happy, and effective, and active,  being a CAP Mission Pilot, CD Pilot and Sq. Commander and I am doing the jobs well. SLS, CLC, etc would be great to attend,  but not attending is not a sign of my lack of interest or dedication to the program.

wuzafuzz

I'm all for Professional Development.  It should be required to become a leader above squadron level or to qualify for ICS leadership roles. 

I don't see much need to attach a PD requirement to a career CAP 1st Lt who is perfectly happy in their niche.  We should thank them for their contribution instead of suggesting they ought to leave.  Life happens and we should be grateful for the time and effort all our members devote to CAP.

ES training is another story.  That same career 1st Lt should be on top of their game when they do their thing.  Our job skills should be a match for other ES organizations with similar jobs.  I'll paraphrase someone's comment: We shouldn't show up to a major league game with little league skills.

Back to PD:

What should we do with members of a cadet squadron when we force out the few parents who were willing to run the program?  "Sorry, we have to shutdown because Mr and Mrs Smith spent all their spare time running the squadron instead of taking classes."  What about those remote flights with a few members, none of whom participate in PD but who do participate in SAREX's and missions?  Shut them down too? 

Professional Development is a good thing and I strongly believe in setting a good example whenever possible.  However, requiring PD of ALL senior members could have unexpected negative consequences.  Full disclosure: I am progressing through my PD steps, even though the courses have yet to teach me anything I didn't already know.  Hopefully that will change.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ZigZag911

Wing CCs should have Level 4 prior to appointment; Group CCs should have Level 3; Squadron CCs should have Level 2.

In those rare instances where necessity demands appointing someone lacking the training, it should be an "Acting" appointment, with 12 months allowed to get the training done -- and any accompanying promotion (including wing CC to colonel) is delayed until the officer is fully qualified.

If members don't want to do PD beyond Level 1, that's fine....but they should be FO or warrant officers of some sort, with limitations on staff jobs (e.g., can't be deputy, can't serve at wing or higher, etc)

davidsinn

So what happens where you stand up a new squadron and everyone is a new member? How do you work that? Because my unit was that way 21 months ago.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 13, 2008, 11:35:38 PM
Wing CCs should have Level 4 prior to appointment; Group CCs should have Level 3; Squadron CCs should have Level 2.

In those rare instances where necessity demands appointing someone lacking the training, it should be an "Acting" appointment, with 12 months allowed to get the training done -- and any accompanying promotion (including wing CC to colonel) is delayed until the officer is fully qualified.

If members don't want to do PD beyond Level 1, that's fine....but they should be FO or warrant officers of some sort, with limitations on staff jobs (e.g., can't be deputy, can't serve at wing or higher, etc)
[/b]

Sure, make me a Warrant Officer.  Something tells me I would still end up being the Sq. Commander! ;D

ZigZag911

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 14, 2008, 03:00:25 AM
Sure, make me a Warrant Officer.  Something tells me I would still end up being the Sq. Commander! ;D

For one year, for one time only.....there would need to be a requirement that the Acting jobs only last up to 12 months....failure to complete requires giving up the post.

What's the big deal about completing Level 2? I would think a squadron commander would want to have at least that much formal training in the program -- to lead by example.

lordmonar

I got no problem of requiring people who hold certain level jobs of completing a certain level of PD to continue holding the job....but for the standard ranks and file...I don't think so.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP