Looking for the silver lining.

Started by Juice, May 01, 2016, 03:46:13 PM

rmutchler

I've been around for about 6 years now.  Sometimes in my current role, I wonder what the future of the Wing will hold, but I think back to a motivational picture that was on my desk for many years - Innovation:  The best way to predict the future is to create it.  Sometimes you just need to embrace that in what you are doing.

Cliff_Chambliss

When I heard the comment that once you put on the uniform you are no longer a volunteer I knew my days in CAP were numbered.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 09, 2016, 01:46:05 PM
When I heard the comment that once you put on the uniform you are no longer a volunteer I knew my days in CAP were numbered.

The answer to that sort of silliness is rather simple:

"You got a regulation to back up that theory?"

FW

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 09, 2016, 03:38:00 PM

The answer to that sort of silliness is rather simple:

"You got a regulation to back up that theory?"

I've heard that comment as well. When I hear it, I smile; and that smile is more of a grimace...  It is a totally unproductive statement to make, has no basis in reality, and is one reason membership is declining. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Some of us had the silver lining ripped away...I know that is not a popular view on CT, where most criticism of CAP is "frowned upon," nor is this poster, who has been told he should just "forget CAP and move on," but that is not easy to do when one has given multiple years (decades) to an organisation that he can no longer be a part of and hurts over it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorg, dessen Name nicht in CAP gesprochen wird on May 09, 2016, 05:07:14 PM
Some of us had the silver lining ripped away...I know that is not a popular view on CT, where most criticism of CAP is "frowned upon," nor is this poster, who has been told he should just "forget CAP and move on," but that is not easy to do when one has given multiple years (decades) to an organisation that he can no longer be a part of and hurts over it.

C'mon now. Half the posts from Eclipse are critical of CAP. No one frowns upon that.

Also, welcome back?!? Again? Eh? Maybe?

Chappie

That comment is full of....bird feathers.   While venting my spleen with a dear friend who had been my commander about why -- at that time -- I was looking to bail, that was one of the reasons.  I felt like I was being forced into a couple of situations that I could not support nor something I was not interested in doing (these were not command related to him...but peer pressure).  He told me -- Col wings and all...backed with all the years of experience in CAP -- "CAP is a VOLUNTEER organization.   You can volunteer to do something or you can volunteer not to do something....it's your choice."  That was so liberating.  Since then, I have said "no" to a few things and never felt a twinge of guilt or regret.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Panache

I haven't been to my squadron's meetings in nine months, and I've discovered that I really have no desire to go back.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 03, 2016, 11:49:15 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on May 03, 2016, 10:34:24 PM
For being a new guy, this is a great post to read!!! When I was first thinking of joining, I visited a squadron, and was absolutely turned off by this squadron and was not going to volunteer at all. Kind of hard to be prior service and walk in seeing SM in complete disarray and cadets walking around without guidance. Then a friend suggested I visit a couple of other squadrons and re-evaluate CAP. I followed this advise and am happy I did so, because I believe I have found one to best suit my personality and will allow me to work in a capacity where I am needed without the good ole boy type of drama. Sad that not every unit believes in the program or following CAP regulations, and is being used for everything else besides what the program is meant for. Hope you can find a change that will encourage you to stick with the program!!! Hopefully I won't hit the same ceiling in two years. :-\

061....where is that? Waukesha? I can't remember even my old unit number in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee Squadron 5
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Chappie on May 09, 2016, 07:34:27 PM

That comment is full of....bird feathers.   While venting my spleen with a dear friend who had been my commander about why -- at that time -- I was looking to bail, that was one of the reasons.  I felt like I was being forced into a couple of situations that I could not support nor something I was not interested in doing (these were not command related to him...but peer pressure).  He told me -- Col wings and all...backed with all the years of experience in CAP -- "CAP is a VOLUNTEER organization.   You can volunteer to do something or you can volunteer not to do something....it's your choice."  That was so liberating.  Since then, I have said "no" to a few things and never felt a twinge of guilt or regret.
I had the same conversation with the Wing Chaplain, now retired.  Like you say...very liberating and quite proper!

Chica

Definition of Silver Lining:

A hopeful or comforting prospect in the midst of difficulty.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Panache on May 10, 2016, 06:43:56 AM
I haven't been to my squadron's meetings in nine months, and I've discovered that I really have no desire to go back.

From my own 3 month hiatus, I found that it's a lot easier to stay away once you do it for a few meetings. After week 3-4, it's no big deal to keep on skipping.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 10, 2016, 02:20:41 PM
From my own 3 month hiatus, I found that it's a lot easier to stay away once you do it for a few meetings. After week 3-4, it's no big deal to keep on skipping.

And that's the risk for units that take long periods of time off, either in the summer, or at the end of the year.  This is especially a problem for cadets,
but members in general need the continuity of activity to stay involved and invested.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chica

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2016, 02:22:20 PM

And that's the risk for units that take long periods of time off, either in the summer, or at the end of the year.  This is especially a problem for cadets,
but members in general need the continuity of activity to stay involved and invested.

What does "...I will attend meetings regularly and participate actively in unit activities..."  mean? You might think about that before skipping a lot.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Chica on May 10, 2016, 07:36:31 PM

What does "...I will attend meetings regularly and participate actively in unit activities..."  mean? You might think about that before skipping a lot.

You seriously need to slow your roll.

The senior member oath is not the same as the cadet oath. I strongly suggest you start reading more and posting less.

Майор Хаткевич

Don't forget "obey my officers".

Chica

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 10, 2016, 07:50:47 PM

The senior member oath is not the same as the cadet oath. I strongly suggest you start reading more and posting less.

Sorry, I forgot most you are senior members. Didn't they change it from senior member to adult member?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chica on May 10, 2016, 07:57:19 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 10, 2016, 07:50:47 PM

Sorry, I forgot most you are senior members. Didn't they change it from senior member to adult member?

Does that change the OP, or anything here?

Chica

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chica on May 10, 2016, 08:04:18 PM
Just curious.....

Then do a search for other posts about it, and if you don't find anything, ask a question in the appropriate subforum, in its own thread.