Boy Scouts report on recruiting

Started by RiverAux, October 19, 2008, 02:38:57 AM

RiverAux

This is an interesting report the Boy Scouts did on recruiting-related issues that has relevance to our cadet program that some may find worthwhile:
http://www.scouting.org/Media/%7E/media/legacy/assets/media/research/02%201058.ashx

There are actually two reports -- one more focused on minority issues and another that focuses on reaching parents of todays Boy Scout-age kids.  Seems like there may be some untapped resources out there in terms of parents who may be willing to get more involved in CAP.  Almost half the parents surveyed with sons in BSA or likely to join BSA said they planned on volunteering with them. 

MIKE

I don't think I'd want to target the 'rents specifically like the BSA might.  I wouldn't want to sell the CP as something you do together with your son/daughter.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Quote from: MIKE on October 19, 2008, 04:18:17 AM
I wouldn't want to sell the CP as something you do together with your son/daughter.
Why not?  Every cadet program I'm aware of is chronically short of senior members willing to assist.  Sure, you're probably not going to keep those parents after their kid is gone, but its not like we're investing a whole lot of money in their training either.  I think that moms in particular can be of great help from a cadet protection point of view. 

Sure, not all parents are going to be gung-ho about themselves having to do the military customs, etc. as some of us woud like, but we don't need every parent to be involved in CAP -- heck most squadrons would be happy if 10-20% of their cadets had a parent involved in some fashion.  So, you can screen out the "non-military" ones. 

Keep in mind that the Boy Scouts is orders of magnitude larger than us and we can probably learn a few things from them. 

DC

Parents are indespensible to my squadron's CP. Most of them have no desire to become full SMs, wear uniforms or any of that, but they are still a great asset in the form of Cadet Sponsor Members. We have several parents that help out at bivouacs and other activities, it allows them to share some of their cadet's experience, and makes it a lot easier for us to plan activities, most of them are perfectly happy to donate a weekend to make an activity happen.

Rangercap

Quote from: RiverAux on October 20, 2008, 01:10:38 AM
Sure, not all parents are going to be gung-ho about themselves having to do the military customs, etc. as some of us woud like, but we don't need every parent to be involved in CAP -- heck most squadrons would be happy if 10-20% of their cadets had a parent involved in some fashion.  So, you can screen out the "non-military" ones. 

EVERY parent should be involved one way or another. Helping drive cadets to functions, going to encampment graduations, hosting a fun night, etc... - seeing what the cadet actaully does. As for the 'non-military' ones, I have seen parents join, or even just help out, because for some reason they didn't serve in the military prior to what their kids being involved within CAP. Some of them, who join because of their kids, were their uniform with pride, and correctly I might add.

I think that in the unit I an involved with now, nearly 100% or the parents are involved with CAP on way or another, memberhsip or not (It would probably help to get them to be paying members, too).

Brian
PAWG

notaNCO forever

As long as the parents don't interfere with their kids CAP career I do bot see any problem. Unfortunately parents tend to baby their kids if they both join.

LtCol Hooligan

I think it is very important for parents to be involved with the Cadet Program.  I have run multiple TLCs and even encampments and I always find it interesting to see the diversity of people who volunteer to help out with our cadet program.  I see people from the soccer moms to the military dads (sorry- not trying to be sexist).  I think we have to find ways for all of them to work together and I think it is important to make sure no one side out weighs the other side.  I believe the two polar sides keep CAP grounded and make it an even better program.  You get the support from the parents and the leadership from the military types who enjoy giving back to our young people.  I believe in order to run a successful unit, you need both types.  I do admit, it can be tough from a command point to juggle the two sides, but if you can get them to work together, you will go far.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

MIKE

Quote from: NCO forever on October 20, 2008, 01:18:56 PM
As long as the parents don't interfere with their kids CAP career I do bot see any problem. Unfortunately parents tend to baby their kids if they both join.

That was my point.  What do you think people will think about you and your program when your mom or dad is the Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets?  It's a little different when they are the MLO or the CSM who's the snack'o, provided they don't have any influence over the ones who sign the 52-X, grade the tests or select staff.

"Sure he's the C/CC, his mom's the CC."

* Disclaimer:  Dad did Tiger Cubs with me and mom was a Den Mother for Cub Scouts.  Neither have joined CAP however, though mom did briefly consider it once I was already a senior... She was turned off by the fact she would have to salute me and call me Sir, and she hates being called Ma'am.
Mike Johnston

NC Hokie

Quote from: MIKE on October 20, 2008, 02:08:14 PM
That was my point.  What do you think people will think about you and your program when your mom or dad is the Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets?  It's a little different when they are the MLO or the CSM who's the snack'o, provided they don't have any influence over the ones who sign the 52-X, grade the tests or select staff.

This is exactly why I will never administer any of my children's tests (once they're in CAP to take them) and will recuse myself from any promotion boards, etc. that concern them.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

It does get tricky when the parent is placed in a position with some authority. There are some parents out there that will go out of their way to not affect their child's career, have someone else sign paperwork, approve and decide things, etc. There are also the parents that abuse their position to try to get their kid every promotion and award possible.

I don't see a problem with a parent becoming a SM, and even going so far as to be the DCC or something, but they should willingly institute some sort of checks and balances to make sure they cannot show favoratism, but at the same time, not make it more difficult on their cadet.

This is another excellent reason to have as much of the decision making power as possible with the cadet staff. Obviously there are some things they cannot do, but there is a lot that can. I would make it clear that my kid was just another cadet, and they should treat them as such, no better, no worse.

There will always be those that think they are entitled to everything for nothing, and will spread dissent. They find something 'unfair' in every decision, you have to deal with them when they appear, and not run your unit out of fear that someone might play the favoritism card.

If you are that worried about it, see if someone you trust to give you an honest answer will take a look at your procedures and tell you if you are missing something...

MIKE

Quote from: DC on October 20, 2008, 06:07:32 PM
I don't see a problem with a parent becoming a SM, and even going so far as to be the DCC or something, but they should willingly institute some sort of checks and balances to make sure they cannot show favoratism, but at the same time, not make it more difficult on their cadet.

Hard and fast rules are better, already exists in the finance regs IIRC.  I consider it fraternization, and would like to see it included in CAPs definition.  It kinda is already, but needs more emphasis.

This is another excellent reason to have as much of the decision making power as possible with the cadet staff.

Or it could be ten times worse.
Mike Johnston

DC

Quote from: MIKE on October 20, 2008, 06:25:26 PM

Hard and fast rules are better, already exists in the finance regs IIRC.  I consider it fraternization, and would like to see it included in CAPs definition.  It kinda is already, but needs more emphasis.
So, lets say you have a vacant DCC slot and a highly qualified officer, you would deny your cadet program their leadership if they had a child in the program? Would you ask the cadet to quit, or willingly deny your unit what could be an excellent leader, affecting all the cadets?

Quote from: MIKE on October 20, 2008, 06:25:26 PM
This is another excellent reason to have as much of the decision making power as possible with the cadet staff.

Or it could be ten times worse.
How so?

Maybe I should elaborate: this is assuming your cadet staff is fair, mature, and knows what they are doing. Some squadrons have this, some don't, you would have to play it on a case by case basis.  Tags - MIKE

NC Hokie

Quote from: DC on October 20, 2008, 07:13:00 PM
So, lets say you have a vacant DCC slot and a highly qualified officer, you would deny your cadet program their leadership if they had a child in the program? Would you ask the cadet to quit, or willingly deny your unit what could be an excellent leader, affecting all the cadets?

Just make it a hard and fast rule that family members cannot be involved in any process that may benefit their cadet's career.  This means:

- no involvement with their cadet's tests
- no involvement with their promotion boards
- no involvement with any potential staff appointments

The potential for this situation is so obvious that I'm frankly shocked that there are no formal regulations in place to address it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Sleepwalker

I have seen five instances when a Father was Squad Comm and his child was the Cadet Comm or some other important command staff position.  In three instances I have seen that the Cadet had to work much harder than normal (this was true in my case, and also once where the Commander's daughter was in charge) and in two cases I have seen the Cadet acting like a 'dictator' because his father let him.  In the two latter cases, the effects to the Squadron were devastating.  What is the answer?  I have no idea, but in the three (good) cases I saw the Commander and his child went out of their way to dispell any impression of favoritism, and that should be the goal of anyone in that situation.

This is just my opinion based upon my observations from having been there.  You may disagree (and that is fine), but I think it would be wrong to have punished my Cadet just because I was in command (he was a full Colonel, and had busted his butt for the Squadron for years before I took charge).  It would not have been practical to transfer command to another Senior Member, as we only have a few and they make it clear that they are there to support the Squadron but do not want to take on any more responsibility.           
A Thiarna, déan trócaire