I would imagine in a few years this will be the largest Cadet Sqdn.

Started by davidsinn, July 21, 2008, 08:05:09 PM

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

kpetersen

QuoteIn schools across the United States that employ the cadet programs, students elect to participate.  The Anderson Preparatory Academy's CAP Cadet Program is different in that it requires participation of all students.

Not that its necessarily a bad idea, but to be frank, it scares me.  Here are the potential problems I see with the program:

1) Not only do we have parents forcing their kids to be in CAP, we have added the school onto that.  Now if cadets do not see the benefit of the program, I believe they would also have to transfer schools.
2) (question, not critique) Will the school host its own encampment, or will they mandate cadets attend encampment?
3) Mandatory promotion requirements? Or giving cadets grades for CAP?

I guess its moreso I'm curious as to how the program is expected to work.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

hmmm.......not too much mention of Aerospace Education.  I also don't like the references to introduction to the military and possible military careers after graduation.  I find there are many turned off from the CAP school programs the minute they hear "military".
What's up monkeys?

davidsinn

Quote from: kpetersen on July 21, 2008, 08:48:02 PM
QuoteIn schools across the United States that employ the cadet programs, students elect to participate.  The Anderson Preparatory Academy's CAP Cadet Program is different in that it requires participation of all students.

Not that its necessarily a bad idea, but to be frank, it scares me.  Here are the potential problems I see with the program:

1) Not only do we have parents forcing their kids to be in CAP, we have added the school onto that.  Now if cadets do not see the benefit of the program, I believe they would also have to transfer schools.
2) (question, not critique) Will the school host its own encampment, or will they mandate cadets attend encampment?

I guess its moreso I'm curious as to how the program is expected to work.

I know what you know. If ya'll want to compile some quality questions I can attempt to get them answered.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

The proposed Wisconsin Air Academy is also apparently going to require CAP membership (it is a private, for profit school).  They're still working on getting a building last I saw. 

By the way, I'm not sure this is all that terribly ground-breaking.  There have been military-style schools since before the Civil War.  Everyone in those schools didn't have a choice about it. 

KyCAP

Speaking of Civil War.  This one is in my back yard.  They just closed down.

http://www.mmicadet.com/RememberWhy.html

If you look at their home page it looks like the equivalent of CAP NHQ for Army Cadet program might be moving to my back yard.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Major Carrales

Public Schools versus Private Schools, a debate I have tackled many times.

Private Schools have several advantages that public schools do not.  A private school, in Texas anyway, can create its own curriculum and is exempt from State Standardized testing.  The students that attend these tend to be 1) more well off, 2) have parents that take an active roll in their child's education (heck, they are paying for it) and 3) do not have to accept "just any old person."  Compare that to a public school that is forced, by Federal Laws, to accept everyone.

CAP could work both environments.  We have operated CAP as an after school program in Kingsville, Texas for two years now.  No one is forced and it works quite well (aside from competition for cadets with Athletics and Band).

A Private School based on the CAP model and one that has CAP as a part of its curriculum are two different things.  One might assume that the first year in the prior would require completing steps to make a certain grade before advancing to the next academic grade.  Thus, the Airman would have to advance to an NCO, and and NCO would need to advance to an Officer to get out of the 7th Grade into 8th.  This might be the more traditional military school discussed as being in existance since before the War Between the States.

The other would be one where CAP would be a structure the paralleled academics.  General Groupings. 

I would be much obliged if people could tell me what type of programs these schools operated under.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

stratoflyer

In my area there are plans to open a CAP squadron at a high school with long term goals to make it into an official school club. And even more ahead in the future to create an aerospace curriculum that would count as high school elective credits.

There is also a JROTC unit there and there has been speculation as to competing with them, but instead of competition the CAP commander and JROTC commanders would like to establish a working relationship with each other.

So it is to say that at this school military studies is nothing strange and parents actually like the idea of such structured programs with high standards. This is a public school also.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

NIN

As I recall, the Miller School (in Charlottesville, VA) used to use CAP as part of its program, too.

Mind you, this school in Indiana is a charter school.  I doubt anybody going to the school is going to be there against their will (well, ok, maybe if mom & dad strong-arm the kid).  Its not like "Oh, crud, my high school just turned into a compulsory military school.." or something. This is a school that people have to make a choice to go to.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CadetProgramGuy

Personally I would be cautious of this school program.  For instance who is the Squadron Commander?  Is this person a new CAP'er or have they been part of teh program for a while?

Do they use PT for punishment, like most military-esk schools do?

Is there wing oversight? 

What happens if the school and CAP disagree on somthing?

NIN

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 22, 2008, 01:51:24 PM
Personally I would be cautious of this school program.  For instance who is the Squadron Commander?  Is this person a new CAP'er or have they been part of teh program for a while?

Is there wing oversight? 

PT for punishment?  Are you nuts?

1) Its a new school.  Doesn't appear they have a track record yet;
2) If they're under the auspices of CAP, CPPT is in effect.  Can't say "We're running a CAP program. Kinda."   I would caution against assuming too much whilst lacking any evidence.  I would bet that, much like the cease & desist letters issued WRT patch & insignia sales, a school representing itself as a CAP unit that was not following the CAP program would have its CAP portion quickly excised by NHQ, probably by legal means;
3) Just like the Miller School, if they're a chartered CAP unit, they're still bound by the CAP regs as far as conduct of the program goes, otherwise, CAP can come down on them like a ton of bricks.

You can darn skippy bet there will be wing oversight if they're a chartered unit in that wing.  Were I the wing king in Indiana, if the unit has an IN-XXX charter, that's the way I'd demand it, otherwise it better be an NHQ-XXX charter and it can be their headache.  You'd be crazy to all it to be otherwise.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

davidsinn

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 22, 2008, 01:51:24 PM

Is there wing oversight? 

The charter is GLR-IN-803. They are in the INWG Schools Group which is commanded by the Wing CV. I do not know who the unit CC is.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pathfinder

Actually, school based programs have been around for years.  There used to be a residential military school that used the CAP program.  Nothing really new here.

kpetersen

Quote from: Pathfinder on July 31, 2008, 01:14:39 AM

Actually, school based programs have been around for years.  There used to be a residential military school that used the CAP program.  Nothing really new here.

If you could point me in the direction at least of the answers of those questions, that would be wonderful :)
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

John Bryan

FYI.... I know the Indiana Wing Schools Group (IN-800) staff were able to get CAP's materials approved by the Indiana State Dept of Education....so yes there will be grades for CAP.

Pathfinder is correct this is not a new program....

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/aerospace_education/school_enrichment_program/

Dad2-4

Check out TX 802, Sheldon Cadet Squadron in Sheldon I.S.D.'s C.E. King Middle School.. They have CAP as an elective class in grades 6-8. Squadron CC Lt. Col. Jerry Lavesque used to head up NHQ/DDR and helped get the MSI (now SEP) going.
http://www.tx802.com/

DNall

I think it's fine to be mandatory. With small schools such as this (I think they said limit 80 per grade level & 240 total), it's important to have a big enough program to support the resources needed to be successful. That's at least one full-time CAP officer heading that aspect of the program, and maybe a second or a couple part timers. That's real money. Depending on what all you do with such a program, you can be talking 100-300k/yr, at least 75k on the way cheap.

Of course I'm very familiar with Sheldon as well. That's kind of where I'm taking those numbers from. I've known those guys for almost 15 years. They're good people. I'm not always 100% on board with how they do things, but it's out of my lane & they pull it off just fine.

We've got a couple after school programs running under my Sq at area middle schools. Those will eventually break off when they reach critical mass, build the adult structure they need, and gain additional district support.

We've also talked for a while about opening up at a local private chistian school (K5-12). All of the public HSs around here are big 5A size & have fully funded JROTC programs. An mid-sized well funded private school in that environment that's already laying out for sports programs & such is a good target to give them an alternative to a JROTC program that can be open to their whole student body & is attainable in both price and actually getting the charter versus having to compete with other schools for the opportunity.

Ford73Diesel

I think it will work but i know not everyone i went to school with would have enjoyed being in cap.