AHA CPR Anytime Personal Learning Program

Started by Eclipse, December 15, 2008, 06:12:58 PM

Eclipse

My sister got one of these as a prize for participating gin a heart walk, now its mine.

Any opinion?  Is it a viable stand-in for Annie where a unit might not have her?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3033740

The kit includes a DVD and only runs about $30.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Looks decent to me.

I've only been certified as an instructor through the ARC but am taking the AHA instructor course in a few weeks after the holidays.

I think it is best to be involved in an a hand-on class with a proctor to guide students through demonstrations and on the spot corrections.  As far as the mannequin, it seems a little smaller than we're all used to and I'm sure cost is a factor, but I don't see it making a big difference.
Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

cpr any time is a great general knowlege program,  however it is not a certificate program.  in short you don't get a card

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2008, 06:12:58 PM
My sister got one of these as a prize for participating gin a heart walk, now its mine.

Any opinion?  Is it a viable stand-in for Annie where a unit might not have her?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3033740

The kit includes a DVD and only runs about $30.

An AHA instructor used something similar to this when conducting a class for our squadron in the summer.  What we used wasn't as good as Annie but it was good enough for the instructor to see that we were using proper technique.

As an aside, it seems that they've simplified things from when I've been CPR certified in the past, with the instructor going so far as to say that compressions alone are better than nothing.  It seems like that is the attitude that AHA is taking with this "do-it-yourself" kit.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: isuhawkeye on December 15, 2008, 08:01:16 PM
cpr any time is a great general knowlege program,  however it is not a certificate program.  in short you don't get a card

In this case its just the dummy I'm interested in - kinda creepy all folded in the box.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I've instructed using those types of mannequins; they do work for basic CPR skills. You can't demonstrate airway management, but they've dumbed down CPR to the point that it doesn't really matter.

You can buy lots of these for the price of one "Annie" model. To answer the original question, if it's all you've got, go ahead and use it.

npfd505

The AHA released the "Friends and Family" program to educate the public about CPR.  The "CPR in a Box" is a simple method where the AHA can get the word out about CPR.  You do not receive a card, you do not become certified and instructors cannot use the box dummies for courses leading to certification (the only certification from the AHA is the "Health Care Provider-Basic Life Support").  There are 3 different levels of CPR training for the AHA.  Friends and Family, Heart Saver (Classroom with intructor, skills exam only-Certificate of completion/Card) and BLS-HCP (Classroom with instructor, skills and written exam, Certification/Card).
Paul Saba, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Inland Empire Group 3