Red Bull Stratos Near Space Jump

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 09, 2012, 04:20:59 PM

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

That by far is the most baddest ass thing I've ever seen someone do!

lordmonar

Quote from: AngelWings on October 14, 2012, 06:25:14 PM
That by far is the most baddest ass thing I've ever seen someone do!
I loved it!  Stand in the door, disconnect your O2, salute (flip off) the world and take a little step forward!

NIN

The aerospace discussions around this one would be ENDLESS.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Silent Panther

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2012, 06:43:01 PM

And all of a sudden, my squadron is doing AE this week. That was truly an amazing feat! To know that he did it three hours from me made it even cooler.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

lordmonar

I'm gonna drag my rig out of the garage and take it to the meeting for a little free fall AE discussion. 

Critical AOA

Well, I for one am not too happy about all of this.  Now when I tell the ladies that I used to skydive and once jumped from a height of 14,500', they will just laugh at me and throw out Baumgartner's altitude.  [darn] you Felix!  [darn] you!

On a serious note, I am glad he succeeded overall and set some new records.  I am also glad that he pulled a bit high and as a result Joe Kittinger still owns one record.

And speaking of Kittinger, I read that at the post jump press conference that he offered a one fingered salute to all of the naysayers who had predicted Felix would fly to pieces if he went that fast.  That old guy rocks!

Congrats to both of these extraordinary gentlemen. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM
I'm gonna drag my rig out of the garage and take it to the meeting for a little free fall AE discussion.

Let me know if you want my PPT on the subject.  Having done "The Aerodynamics of Sport Parachuting" a number of times for CAP, its a barn burner :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2012, 11:31:12 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

Let me know if you want my PPT on the subject.  Having done "The Aerodynamics of Sport Parachuting" a number of times for CAP, its a barn burner :)
Send it!

lordmonar@yahoo.com

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

starshippe

thats a "long time to hang in the sky" as john denver would put it...
   i found this u tube link   Red Bull Stratos - Felix Baumgartner (freefall from the edge of space) [Full jump HD]
   but did not see any video from the jumper. are there other links with his video? mighta been a bit cool for a video cam on the way down.

bill

♠SARKID♠

Freaking. Awesome.
Didn't get to see it live, working today, but found this copy of the raw footage.

Felix Baumgartner Record Jump-Egress and Fall

♠SARKID♠

Майор Хаткевич

Then is WAY more impressive. Their technology is so archaic by our standards now...I don't think ANYONE today would jump the same way as they did.

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

From the surface of it .. you have to laugh.
From the reality of it, that's not quite true.

Rauburg

Kittinger still holds the record for the longest free fall time and I am really glad that he still has a place in the record books.

NIN

Quote from: Rauburg on October 15, 2012, 10:05:58 PM
Kittinger still holds the record for the longest free fall time and I am really glad that he still has a place in the record books.

Mostly due to the difference between drogue-fall and freefall.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP