Main Menu

Vanguard and shipping

Started by Gung Ho, September 03, 2010, 02:40:38 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 11, 2010, 06:21:18 PM
I just placed an order, 5 seconds ago.  We'll conduct a test.

The order contained 15 separate line items of multiple quantities. It contains awards, ribbon racks, clothing items and novelty items (a bit from every section). The order was enough to qualify for the free shipping, with a special request to ship UPS or USPS, because FedEX can't find my house (new subdivision, I don't have a valid address).

So, it is 11SEP10 at 1:20 CST, a Saturday.  I'll chime back in when my order arrives.

I just received my shipping notice.  Shipped UPS, expected delivery of Wednesday.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spaceman3750

I ordered about $100 in uniform items including a nameplate requiring engraving and it shipped today. Not bad.

Майор Хаткевич

They must be reading this. Google Alerts rock. :)

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Ned on September 12, 2010, 05:23:57 AM
QuoteI'd sure like to see just how much money Vanguard's kicked back to CAP and where it went, especially if any of it was supposed to roll down to the Wings or NCSA's.
Fair question.  Have you bothered to ask your wing commander? 

Ned Lee

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 12, 2010, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: BillB on September 12, 2010, 04:04:35 PM
Dis I read somewhere the majority of the funds from Vanguard went to Hawk Mountain?
It was some letter sent out by NHQ, said funds were installing hot showers at Hawk and funding NBB.

My Wing Commander just happened to be the NBB director the last 2 years. I'll have to ask her exactly how much of this Vanguard money she saw.

I do know she wasn't happy being stuck paying far and away more for berets, T-shirts and challenge coins from Vanguard over already established vendors they had in years past who provided better products and services at lower prices. I also know she wasn't the only activity director who felt this way, either.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 13, 2010, 06:28:17 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 11, 2010, 06:21:18 PM
I just placed an order, 5 seconds ago.  We'll conduct a test.

The order contained 15 separate line items of multiple quantities. It contains awards, ribbon racks, clothing items and novelty items (a bit from every section). The order was enough to qualify for the free shipping, with a special request to ship UPS or USPS, because FedEX can't find my house (new subdivision, I don't have a valid address).

So, it is 11SEP10 at 1:20 CST, a Saturday.  I'll chime back in when my order arrives.

I just received my shipping notice.  Shipped UPS, expected delivery of Wednesday.

Ding Dong, goes the door bell.  Hello, Mr. UPSman.

Order recieved Tuesday 14SEP10, at 0835 CST.

Order is complete.

So, if the order isn't processed on the weekend, when I placed it, that means that it was in Vanguard's hands for a whopping two hours before they shipped it. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 14, 2010, 01:44:29 PM
So, if the order isn't processed on the weekend, when I placed it, that means that it was in Vanguard's hands for a whopping two hours before they shipped it.

Don't you hate it when facts interfere with perception?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2010, 02:51:08 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 14, 2010, 01:44:29 PM

Don't you hate it when facts interfere with perception?

That WAS nice service!

Which makes me think again - google alerts.

I've honestly not received anything in less than 1 week's time, at worst 2-3 weeks with UPS Next Day upgrade.

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2010, 02:51:08 PMDon't you hate it when facts interfere with perception?
...unless they caught wind of this thread ;-)

Ned

And you don't think perception is shaped by this thread?

"Sauce for the goose . . ."

Thunder

I got this kind of service long before this thread. You have to consider that people hardly post on the internet for "performing at expectations" levels. Its either extremely good and you want to recommend it, or extremely bad and you want to warn people of it. The top and bottom 10% of each.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Ned on September 14, 2010, 06:45:49 PM
And you don't think perception is shaped by this thread?

"Sauce for the goose . . ."
I've got a coin, lets flip it in the air, heads good service, tails bad service.   When you deal with Vanguard, that's what we are talking about, flipping a coin, maybe service will be good maybe bad.  I know with the Hawk Shop service was always consistently great!!! :clap:

When you talk about the vendor giving CAP royalties from the sales of items, they've built in that percentage into the sale price, so it really is the membership purchasing that is funding this, it isn't Vanguard or the vast capabilities of those that negotiated the contract >:(

The membership will never win this arguement because the decision has already been made, but frankly they will circumvent the "system" when possible to get the service they expect :angel:
RM 

Майор Хаткевич

My two experiences with Hock were horrible...

Ned

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 14, 2010, 08:59:56 PM
I've got a coin, lets flip it in the air, heads good service, tails bad service.   When you deal with Vanguard, that's what we are talking about, flipping a coin, maybe service will be good maybe bad.

If you have any data to support that 50% of CAP VG customers get bad service, I'd love to see it.

You do have that, right?  You're not just making that up, are you?  While puffing up a competitor that had to be sued by CAP to stop pirating our intellectual property?

QuoteWhen you talk about the vendor giving CAP royalties from the sales of items, they've built in that percentage into the sale price, so it really is the membership purchasing that is funding this, it isn't Vanguard or the vast capabilities of those that negotiated the contract >:(

I'm sorry, what was your point here?

QuoteThe membership will never win this arguement because the decision has already been made. . .

You're certainly correct that our volunteer leaders have entered into a competatively-bid contract with VG.  One that will be renewed only if both parties believe it is in their best interest to do so.

By all means keep sharing your perceptions of the value (or lack thereof) with your wing commander, so that she/he can be better informed the next time the contract comes up for renewal.

Gung Ho

Well after a pushy email from me my order was shipped with NO letter or answer as why it took so long to ship. I had tried to send a message with the online chat thing they have on the website only to have it say nobody was available to chat but they would send this in a message that somebody would answer, no answer to that. Vanguard has done nothing to make me want to ever order from them again. Maybe they have read this forum and are trying to do better but they didn't show that to me.
Those on here that are standing up saying they are the best place must be the few that benefit from the overage the rest are paying. This just goes to show what happens when you have the government involved with an exclusive contact for goods, many people pay for the good of a limited few.

Ned

Quote from: Gung Ho on September 15, 2010, 03:19:26 PM
Those on here that are standing up saying they are the best place must be the few that benefit from the overage the rest are paying. This just goes to show what happens when you have the government involved with an exclusive contact for goods, many people pay for the good of a limited few.

Speak plainly, sir.

Did you just accuse me of pocketing members' money?

How exactly am I benefiting from the VG contract to the detriment of the membership?

Serious words, my friend.

Would you care to explain?

Or will you just continue to sharpshoot anonymously?

Ned Lee

Major Rob

I placed an order on 8 Sept for various items (wing patches, ribbon devices) and it's still listed as "processing." I hope they get to it soon -- I want to get my new uniforms all put together!

GTCommando

Quote from: Captain Rob on September 15, 2010, 03:58:40 PM
I placed an order on 8 Sept for various items (wing patches, ribbon devices) and it's still listed as "processing." I hope they get to it soon -- I want to get my new uniforms all put together!

What wing? maybe I'm not the only one on here from GLR-OH.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

GTCommando

Quote from: Gung Ho on September 08, 2010, 02:27:44 PM
Since I think if I want new uniforms like the dress stuff I would have to order it from vanguard I'm think you will never see me in that dress.

Two words-Thrift Store. I'm trying to (re)start a unit supply, and that's where I find most of my stuff, at very reasonable prices, I might add. Just Google local thrift stores and shop around. You'll be amazed at what you find. 
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Short Field

Quote from: Gung Ho on September 15, 2010, 03:19:26 PM
That is just plain insulting and shows a very negative and personal bias toward CAP, the people in CAP, and Vanguard. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

GTCommando

Edit to my last post: you can find plenty of clothing items at thrift stores, but for things such as gear, ribbon holders, etc. better go to the surplus store. Just wanted to make that clear.  :D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889