What hath McPeak Wrought?

Started by Major Carrales, April 21, 2007, 04:58:39 AM

Major Carrales

Right from E-Bay...what McPeak probably Wore...

Curious?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

No can't be Tony's....he was a 4 star.

BTW....the fee for mentioning the former chief of staff's name will cost you an adult beverage! ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

baronet68

Quote from: lordmonar on April 21, 2007, 05:20:15 AM

BTW....the fee for mentioning the former chief of staff's name will cost you an adult beverage! ;D
But that is the braid of a 4-star.

???
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Major Carrales

Ooops...well then, here is to someday paying that fee!!!  ;)

I did not know that the large braid had..."clouds and darts" on it? 

Pity these uniforms are virtually non-existant on the web...while it is a precarious chapter in "USAF UNIFORM HISTORY," I find such quirks to be interesting.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

shorning

Quote from: baronet68 on April 21, 2007, 05:50:41 AM

Correct.  There are pictures out there of McTony and Fogelman sporting that braid.

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on April 21, 2007, 06:33:43 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on April 21, 2007, 05:50:41 AM

Correct.  There are pictures out there of McTony and Fogelman sporting that braid.

Did you know that McTony and Fogleman flew together in Viet Nam? They flew F-100Fs as Misty Fast-FACs (# 94 and #86 respectively). Dick Rutan (#40) was also in the same unit, but before Merrill and Ron.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 21, 2007, 06:02:03 AMI did not know that the large braid had..."clouds and darts" on it? 

No, no, no, Maj. C... they're 'farts and darts!'

CAPFLT001's TPU service dress jacket sleeve braid is plain silver, double the size of the standard silver braid. Probably the same style silver braid CG Auxies wear and commercially available from Vanguard.

And a female version of the TPU service dress jacket is now available, but not online.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

Well, I don't know what McPeak hath wrought, but I do know this:

I just bid on it.

It will make a swell uniform for my Admiral of the Great Navy of Nebraska commission!

(Now don't go outbid me, folks.  I mean it.   >:( )

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Monty

Brother, I'm surprised you'd make such a "whoopsie!"  Weren't we all traumatized enough by McPeak to have his image burned into our minds, "Navy rank" and all?

Let's "QAF" this one to death now...

;D :P :)

lordmonar

Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 21, 2007, 02:00:42 PM

Brother, I'm surprised you'd make such a "whoopsie!"  Weren't we all traumatized enough by McPeak to have his image burned into our minds, "Navy rank" and all?

Let's "QAF" this one to death now...

;D :P :)

Well it's been a long time....and I was/am a maintainer.  It's not like we wore the service dress all that much.

As for QAFing.....lets get the Process Action Team together, we'll go over the metrics and then see if there are any Quality Process Improvements we can make.  Remember....it's all about customer requirments and empowering the process owners.

;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 21, 2007, 01:52:19 PM
Well, I don't know what McPeak hath wrought, but I do know this:

I just bid on it.

It will make a swell uniform for my Admiral of the Great Navy of Nebraska commission!

(Now don't go outbid me, folks.  I mean it.   >:( )

Jack

That would be (as my students say) sweet!!!  I hope you get it!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

To top it off, you need one of those cool hats like Admiral Horatio Nelson, RN, wore!

NEBoom

Quote from: lordmonar on April 21, 2007, 03:06:01 PM

As for QAFing.....lets get the Process Action Team together, we'll go over the metrics and then see if there are any Quality Process Improvements we can make.  Remember....it's all about customer requirments and empowering the process owners.

;D

Whatever you do, don't forget to hold the hot wash when it's all over.... :)
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

LtCol White

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 21, 2007, 04:39:28 PM

To top it off, you need one of those cool hats like Admiral Horatio Nelson, RN, wore!

Or a blue propeller beanie with farts and darts  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

Well, it looks as if I'll have to come up with another idea for the Admiral's uniform.

Someone decided to bid more than I can afford on the jacket.

Poop.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

flyerthom

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 21, 2007, 04:39:28 PM

Nelson was a nurse?

DOH!

Royal Navy,  darn bifocals.
TC

JarakMaldon

Where is (or was) this listing on eBay?
J.M.S. - 2d Lt, USAF / Capt, CAP / 2LT, AG, USACC
Penn State '06 - I are intelligent.

alexalvarez

What happened to the big red floppy shoes that goes with this uniform?
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

NAYBOR

I personally think we could've gone with this design for a "corporate" service coat.  You can't deny McPeak's design looks like a corporate pilot's coat!  With having single-breasted buttons, and maybe putting a 4th one on to differentiate it from the AF service jacket of 3 it would've been clearly distinct as a CAP coat than an AF officer's.  Rank would be on the sleeves, etc. etc.

But we have the TPU.  The TPU coat is basically an AF-blue (1625) Navy officer's coat.  The Navy officer's coat is the EXACT SAME CUT, save the epaulettes flaps on the shoulders and the color.  They could've put silver rank stripes on the sleeves of the TPU coat the same as the McPeak coat, and it would've been undoubtedly distinguishable from an AF officer coat (obviously), and the also USCG Aux coat because there would've been no sleeve device above the rank stripes like the CG Aux has.  The USCG service coat is an entirely different cut than the TPU, too.  I'd personally remove the epaulettes from the TPU; use silver rank stripes on the sleeves; take the CAP cutouts off of the lapels (I liked when it had US cutouts for a short time, but lost interest in getting the coat when that was changed); either change the nametag back to a single line (last name) silver nametag, or have a 2-line silver name tag with last name on the first line, then "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on the second line; keep the service cap as is; change the TPU rank epaulettes to an AF blue color with silver stripes (like AFROTC has, but AFROTC's are black epaulettes, not blue); wear the devices and ribbons as is presently customary on the TPU coat, and then call it good.  The CAP DOES have an "naval aviation" history--we sunk submarines in WWII, remember?  It could be considered OUR "heritage coat".

OK, I'll come back to reaility now.  But, honestly, that's what I'd do with the TPU monstrocity to "fix" it.  Some may flame the hell outta me for saying all this, but, hey, it'd be distinctive, it'd be our own--it would embody a service coat, that, in my mind, represents being both an auxilliary of the AF while also being a civilian corporate entity.  It would honor the CAP fliers from back in the day who, without argument, flew naval aviation missions causing at least 2 subs to be sunk AT OUR OWN HANDS (and possibly more) and sending the German subs fleeing from our waters.  It wasn't the Navy who did that--it was the CAP!

Besides, if the above changes were made, and we WERE mistaken for a "real" military (albeit civilian) auxilliary (USCG Aux), would that be so bad?  At least this nation's uniformed auxilliary forces would look similar.

OK, go ahead and call me crazy now...  Either way, discuss.

flapsUP

Forget all this USAF and TPU uniform nonsense.  Let's return to our heritage and go to the "Pink and Greens" of the old army air corps.  This was the sharpest uniform ever.