What is this ribbon? Is it a CAP ribbon?

Started by MacGruff, August 09, 2013, 03:59:39 PM

MacGruff

I was asked by my squadron commander to chase down a bag of ribbons that have been sitting around for a long time and tell her which ones are CAP and what are they. I've traced all but one of the 30 or so ribbons and am stumped by one. I still do not have the ability to post images on line here, so if you are curious and want to see a front and back pic of this ribbon, please PM me.

It is mostly orange with two vertical dark blue stripes. It is cloth.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Eclipse

Without an image there's no way to identify this ribbon.

Post the pic to Imageshack and link it back here with the [img] tags.

FYI - one post per topic is plenty.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

UH60guy

Quote from: MacGruff on August 09, 2013, 03:59:39 PM
It is mostly orange with two vertical dark blue stripes. It is cloth.

Until you post an image, here is what I could come up with that kinda meets your description, allowing for color/description variations:
CAP National Commander's Unit Award

Coast Guard Presidential Unit Citation

Air Force Commendation Medal

Air Medal

Multi National Forces Observer
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Patterson

It's a JROTC Ribbon.  I would post the picture, but my phone doesn't let me...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Patterson on August 09, 2013, 06:21:03 PM

Veterans of Foreign Wars Award

???

MacGruff

Thanks to the help given me by one of the members, I found out that it is a Kentucky National Guard Service Ribbon.

When I can put up pictures, I'll add it to this thread.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MacGruff on August 09, 2013, 08:18:03 PM
Thanks to the help given me by one of the members, I found out that it is a Kentucky National Guard Service Ribbon.

When I can put up pictures, I'll add it to this thread.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 09, 2013, 06:47:00 PM

???

Kentucky National Guard Faithful Service Ribbon

Those two look almost identical.

Jaison009

That is what I thought it might be.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 09, 2013, 06:47:00 PM

???

jeders

Interesting.

Wikipedia says that the Kentucky National Guard Faithful Service ribbon looks like this:

The Kentucky National Guard eHistory Museum Only has the Service ribbon, not the faithful service ribbon, which looks like this:

The KY NG Museum page says that, "Members formerly awarded the Thirty Year Ribbon are authorized to continue wearing the ribbon." So presumably what you have is a no longer authorized version of the ribbon. Nice find.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

It's not uncommon for a ribbon to be used by several organizations under different names.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Hawk200

MacGruff

Quote from: 4fhoward on August 10, 2013, 07:10:24 AM
It could also be the Colorado National Guard Emergecy Services Ribbon.
http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/colorado-national-guard-state-emergency-service-ribbon-p-5830.html
http://www.usamm.com/colorado-national-guard-state-emergency-service-ribbon.html

I looked at those two links that you provided - than you, by the way - but my impression was that those were yellow and not orange.

The one that I have is orange and blue and while it's not in pristine condition,  :P  it is not that dirty that a yellow would look orange.

MacGruff

I also have another challenge for those of you who are very knowledgeable about this. Another one of the ribbons I have is cloth, has three stripes, two narrower yellow stripes on the sides with a wider red stripe in the center. There is some discoloration in the very center of it, like there was some sort of device mounted there. The only ribbon I found that looks like it is the Hawaii National Guard Medal of Honor.

Could it possibly be? 

Eclipse

Between age, die lots, and poor manufacturing controls, orange can look gold, yellow, or anything in between.

Put them on a scanner or take a decent pic and show us what they look like.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2013, 03:17:34 PM
Between age, die lots, and poor manufacturing controls, orange can look gold, yellow, or anything in between.

Yep and couple that fact with the idea that a newer organization looking for ribbon designs might look at those of other organizations for inspiration.  Then there are only so many color & stripe combos that look decent.  So there are bound to be many very similar ribbons out there across the many organizations that use them.

So what you get is:

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 10, 2013, 12:59:59 PM
It's not uncommon for a ribbon to be used by several organizations under different names.

It is to be expected.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: MacGruff on August 10, 2013, 02:21:43 PM
I also have another challenge for those of you who are very knowledgeable about this. Another one of the ribbons I have is cloth, has three stripes, two narrower yellow stripes on the sides with a wider red stripe in the center. There is some discoloration in the very center of it, like there was some sort of device mounted there. The only ribbon I found that looks like it is the Hawaii National Guard Medal of Honor.

Could it possibly be?

The Hawaii Medal of Honor was created in 2005 and first awarded in 2006. It has been awarded 242 times since then.

Which leads me to ask; Can we wear National Guard ribbons? Some states had supplements to CAPM 39-1. 

MSG Mac

Only awards allowed to be worn on Active Duty Air Force uniforms are allowed. No State awards or organizational awards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MacGruff

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2013, 03:17:34 PM

Put them on a scanner or take a decent pic and show us what they look like.

I can take a decent pic, but I still am not allowed to upload them here...

Hopefully that will happen to me soon (maybe after I reach post #50?) and then I will be happy to post a pic.