"The CAP Polo shirt is NOT authorized for this activity."

Started by Swampfox, October 01, 2010, 04:16:20 PM

Swampfox

I got an e-mail about the upcoming Squadron Leadership School and Corporate Learning Course and am told I cannot attend (I have a beard and require the CAP polo shirt). 

Is this a normal restriction?  Is this restriction allowed by CAP policy or did someone just make up this restriction without regard to CAP policy?

Thanks,

S. Morgan

rjfoxx

You can wear the white aviator shirt / grey slacks combo.  Just because you have a beard does not restrict you from wearing this uniform.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Eclipse

Yes, this is a normal UOD for a professional development activity.

No you do not "require" the golf shirt, there are at least two other corporate options - the white/gray pants or the white/blue pants combos.
You would normally have the option of civilian business attire for these types of activities as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Swampfox

Quote from: rjfoxx on October 01, 2010, 04:19:26 PM
You can wear the white aviator shirt / grey slacks combo.  Just because you have a beard does not restrict you from wearing this uniform.

Thanks but not only do I have a beard but my weight is above the limit.  Any other uniforms allowed?  Thanks!

S. Morgan

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Swampfox on October 01, 2010, 04:37:06 PM

Thanks but not only do I have a beard but my weight is above the limit.  Any other uniforms allowed?  Thanks!

S. Morgan

The grey slacks / white aviator shirt, is for those of us who do not meet the weight requirments for wear of the air force uniforms.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Swampfox on October 01, 2010, 04:37:06 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2010, 04:25:39 PM
...the white/gray pants...

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I'm sure the blazer combination would also be acceptable.

lordmonar

Quote from: dwb on October 01, 2010, 05:38:27 PM
I'm sure the blazer combination would also be acceptable.

That is assuming they have not specified a UOD (other than no polos).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CommGeek

EMT-83

Save your pennies and buy the proper shirt.

I hear this complaint from my members from time to time. Sorry, but there are certain expenses to be incurred as a member. No one says that you need to spend hundreds of dollars on uniform items. A pair of gray slacks, which can be worn outside of CAP, and an aviator shirt which can be bought on-line for about 25 bucks, will do nicely.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 01, 2010, 07:16:34 PM
Save your pennies and buy the proper shirt.

I hear this complaint from my members from time to time. Sorry, but there are certain expenses to be incurred as a member. No one says that you need to spend hundreds of dollars on uniform items. A pair of gray slacks, which can be worn outside of CAP, and an aviator shirt which can be bought on-line for about 25 bucks, will do nicely.

Or wear civilian business attire.

As a matter of regulation, all Senior members who do not wear the USAF blues are required to have the corporate whites.  The golf shirt is not the minimum basic uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Contrary to some popular belief, the polo shirt is not the basic uniform. 

The basic uniform CAP members must maintain is either:
short sleeve light blue shirt / blue pants or short sleeve white aviator shirt, grey pants combinations.  The White aviator shirt/grey pants combo is for anyone who chooses not to wear the AF uniform,  or does not meet AF uniform regs (weight/grooming etc).

39-1 page 8:
Quotea. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.
b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia: CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

CommGeek

I hear it all the time....  I tell them not to go out to dinner with the guys after the meeting and use that cash for a shirt! 

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2010, 04:25:39 PM
Yes, this is a normal UOD for a professional development activity.

No you do not "require" the golf shirt, there are at least two other corporate options - the white/gray pants or the white/blue pants combos.
You would normally have the option of civilian business attire for these types of activities as well.

He sez he's a fuzzie, like me. That means the white/blue pants combo is a no-go.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

misread, ignore this.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CommGeek

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on October 01, 2010, 09:04:05 PM
Quote from: CommGeek on October 01, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
What if I'm a poor CAP member and only have a polo?
Then you are in violation of 39-1. :)

"Only" is the key word here. As noted above, the aviator shirt combo is the minimum required uniform for fatties/fuzzies. If you don't have that combo available, you are technically in violation.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CommGeek

spacecommand

They didn't, however it (the Polo) is not the CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform.  39-1 Page 8 as referenced above.