Air Force to launch unmanned space plane

Started by spacecommand, April 05, 2010, 05:55:21 PM

spacecommand

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/air-force-space-plane-test-sfn-100403.html
Liftoff should occur the evening of April 19 in a launch window opening at 6:49 p.m. EDT and closing at 9:12 p.m. EDT, according to an Air Force spokesperson.

Several weeks or months later, the spacecraft will drop into the atmosphere and glide to an automated landing at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

The 11,000-pound spaceplane is more popularly known as the X-37B, but its cost and ultimate objectives are top secret.

X-37 Information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-37

Spike

And when it smoothly glides into a landing on an elementary school.............

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spike on April 06, 2010, 04:30:19 PM

Aren't we always the optimist?

It's a fantastic concept and significant step in the unmanned aircraft arena.

Manned spacecraft have had a lot more incidents than these have so far...  ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Spike on April 06, 2010, 04:30:19 PM

...The second graders will think it's [darn] cool 8).

Smithsonia

So is this thing the "Wham in a Can" weapon that the Air Force wanted to be anywhere in the world in 90 minutes from the go signal? Supposedly the item I am describing is to be set on solid boosters and shot into space then deliver an unmanned vehicle within 3 orbits to anywhere in the world. However, that project went black a few years back and I am wondering if this is it, resurfaced?

If so I'll bet you that North Korea and Iran are reading lots of aerospace news this week and rejiggering their liquid missile program to hastening the fueling stage to less than 90 minutes. That said, our boomers can already hit anything with in a few hours, so what does this thing buy us?
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Pumbaa

Strick

Where is the cockpit window...............

:'(
[darn]atio memoriae