Nevada Wing's NEW emblem

Started by alamrcn, August 22, 2008, 03:44:33 PM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2008, 10:09:31 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 29, 2008, 09:41:27 PM
Lordmonar:

My criticism isn't a matter of "creativity." The emblem has a clip-art feel. Surely there is some imagery that better reflects Nevada than the flag detail. After all, it's "the Silver State." No silver, no sense of the state's natural features, or how CAP's missions in Nevada work with them... 

I agree the emblem needs not be "busy." Heaven knows there's a bunch of CAP patches that don't reproduce well as patches. But while the Nevada patch may not be "busy," it doesn't reflect anything but someone else's logos and emblems, co-opted.

Does that help?

So it is about lack of creativity.  Nevada's patch represents our state and our organisation in a simple cut and paste operation. 

I don't say that to offend, by any means. Please don't take it that way. I'm sure the best of intentions went into it, and that makes it difficult for anyone to criticize, even in a constructive way.

If "creativity" is innovating within a set of constraints, then you could say "creativity" is the issue. If it's too late, this discussion is a moot point. But it's a good learning experience for wings like Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida, which adopted new wing emblems that don't display much original thinking, and instead either uses a state flag or tourism logo, or the CAP seal itself.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 30, 2008, 06:00:23 PM
If "creativity" is innovating within a set of constraints, then you could say "creativity" is the issue. If it's too late, this discussion is a moot point. But it's a good learning experience for wings like Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida, which adopted new wing emblems that don't display much original thinking, and instead either uses a state flag or tourism logo, or the CAP seal itself.

How about displaying some of your work?

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2008, 06:04:19 PM
How about displaying some of your work?
I'd love to, but the best I can do online is show you my portfolio of newspaper pages, graphics and illustrations, from my last five gigs (you'll have to get to at least page three to start seeing graphics and illos). From work at the weekly I edit now, major-metro papers in Detroit and Pittsburgh, a mid-market NYT paper in Sarasota, and from my hometown in Ohio....

http://www.newspagedesigner.com/portfolios/portfolio1.php?UserID=388

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Pylon

Quote from: alamrcn on August 28, 2008, 01:09:59 AM
I agree, very few USAF patches have the stylized wings or other identifiable AF icon. But if we're going to base our emblem designs off the AF - in particular, the shape - SOMETHING has to make it unique to CAP. Something has to set it apart from an AF emblem, or even an AFJROTC emblem. Literally stating "CAP" or "Civil Air Patrol" may not be as easy as the tri-prop, and at times it gets a little redundant all over the uniform.

The fact that any time it would be worn, it would be worn on a CAP uniform that has "Civil Air Patrol" on it somewhere should be pretty clear.   Any time it would appear on letterhead, it would be accompanied by text which includes "Civil Air Patrol". 

I really don't think a unit patch needs to have any direct reference to Civil Air Patrol on it.  People aren't going to confuse it with anything else because anytime it will be used, it will be in a Civil Air Patrol context (a CAP uniform, a CAP document, a CAP website, etc.).

How many times do we need to put "Civil Air Patrol" on our uniforms?  The first one or two times people will get it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alamrcn

On a Civil Air Patrol uniform, sure it's obvious that the patch is of Civil Air Patrol use. Well, not always, my wing wore a USAF patch as an encampment patch.

Anyway, say some guy 35 years from now finds an old "F.R. Sussey" patch at a flea market that was long ago ripped from one of those "BDUs" their dad told them about. Curious looking thing, well designed, looks to maybe be from one of those Air Force bases that closed after the end of the Russian-Georgian conflict and the second cold war.

Just razing you... ;)

Luckily, I've set up a history patch for that patch...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/NY/notmine/ny408.html

But I haven't been able to preserve one yet! Can you help a guy out? Don't want the one found at the flea market 35 years in the future to be the only one known to exsist! heh heh Yeah, I'm a little self serving, but I do care about preserving our uniform history... Especially at the lowest local levels where it is most likely to be lost and forgotten.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota