Main Menu

DC Wing Pilot RIP

Started by Stonewall, May 29, 2012, 10:46:52 PM

Stonewall

Sorry, on my blackberry, but heard tragic news that a Senior Member from DCWG was killed in a mid-air over Warrenton, VA.  Not in a CAP A/C.

Can anyone confirm this?

I know the name but not sure if its been made public. It happened yesterday from what I understand.
Serving since 1987.

CAPSGT

They've only identified the survivor so far
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Huey Driver

The survivor is a Lt. Col. from VAWG. One of the two deceased was also an NTSB investigator, if that helps.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Woodsy

anyone have a news link?  Can't find anything on google. 

CAPSGT

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Small-Planes-in-Fauquier-County-Crash-Registered-to-FAA-NTSB-Employees-155443805.html

From the look & sound of it...the pilot of the PA-28 did an amazing job getting his plane down fairly safely.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Stonewall

Story here.

Quote from: DCWG FacebookI am saddened to report the loss of LtCol Paul R. Gardella on Memorial Day as a result of a tragic aviation accident.  Paul was a former member and Commander of our Squadron.  He loved and strongly supported aviation as much as he did the Civil Air Patrol.  Please join me in extending our heartfelt thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.  -  Capt John Held

He is a member of National Capital Wing and a former member of my old squadron, Mount Vernon Composite Squadron.

God speed!
Serving since 1987.

BrannG

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

spacecommand

The cause of the crash is currently under investigation, the PA28 pilot survived (rare for midair collisions).  Because the accident involved NTSB and FAA employees, the NTSB has asked the Transportation Safety Board of Canada to take the lead in the investigation.