Covid Waivers updated - Feb 2021

Started by Eclipse, February 03, 2021, 03:14:51 PM

Eclipse

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2001_Consolidated_CP_Waiver_65F4C58FD8848.pdf

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cadet-coronavirus

Extends Encampment (Mitchell & Earhart) and RCLS (Eaker) waivers until
Oct 2021.

Allows for former cadets up to 21 years-6 months to take the Spaatz (under
special circumstances).

Allows cadets "without web access" accelerated promotions at the JROTC rate
once unit meetings resume.

Provides for senior and master rating waivers for cancelled activities

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Still no addressing the encampment requirement for NCSAs, which I find problematic considering the application window opened month ago and it's not like anybody expected encampments to magically resume in time for cadets to attend before 15 January.

Super odd that we're waiving all sorts of things to keep cadets engaged but one of our biggest draws hasn't been addressed.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I assume it's coming but now I'm not sure.

Eclipse

I hadn't even considered that - unintended consequences all around, UGH.

With that said, there's a limit to how far you can push the waivers, and the
wave of improperly indoctrinated cadets is going to be a significant problem
for the next couple of years.  Having them in high(ish) stress environments
without having shown they can function independently would just make that worse.

Encampments have to deal with cadets with wet ID cards every year, and while some
succeed, there are often issues with acceptance and understanding of the core values
due to their having little to no local exposure.

Frankly I think some consideration should be given, especially in this instance,
that some baseline of normalcy and participation be established before a cadet can
attend anything outside the unit once anything near "normal" returns.

Only now it's going to be cadets with 3-4+ stripes, not just new guys, plus cadre
who will undoubtedly be in roles they are ill-prepared for.

Having a cadet who has never attended normal meetings regularly thrust into an encampment
environment, one which is likely to be chaotic in itself due to the lack of experience
and reps of the cadet cadre and adult staff, looks like a recipe for...challenges...outside
the norm of home sickness and comfort zones.

With that said, I think it's fair to posit that there aren't going to be any in-face
NCSAs this fiscal year anyway, so it's an FY22 issue at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

True but I think it's probably best to at least allow the activity director to make the call.  Your cyber/tech-oriented events have different environments than PJOC for example.  So E-Tech or whatever should be able to waive that requirement, while if anything keeping it in place isn't going to make PJOC slots any less competitive.

We're already going to be spending the next few years rebuilding institutional knowledge in the CP side anyway, including both cadets and seniors.  No need to make it any harder than it has to be. 

If we're hemorrhaging cadets like some have reported, it seems like keeping that requirement in place has to be having a downstream effect on the numbers of NCSA applications received.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on February 03, 2021, 06:35:31 PMIf we're hemorrhaging cadets like some have reported,

Sadly this is true.  As of today, and granting monthly "I forgot" normalization CAP is at its lowest numbers
as far back as eSevices will go (2000)

Quote from: Jester on February 03, 2021, 06:35:31 PMit seems like keeping that requirement in place has to be having a downstream effect on the numbers of NCSA applications received.

I dunno - it'll be interesting regardless.

My gut is that, at least for year "1" & possibly "2", encampments and NCSAs will be overwhelmed with
applications as those chomping to get back to normal, or who are watching a clock tick away their
cadet years scramble to get in.  Allowing less (traditionally) qualified cadets to participate
could be a burden on over taxed staff.

I know for us we had finally rebuilt to a level of some continuity, and we're maxed out consistently,
but having an experienced staff makes many things shorthand, that's largely gone on both the
cadet and senior side.

Time will tell.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2021, 07:32:03 PMSadly this is true.  As of today, and granting monthly "I forgot" normalization CAP is at its lowest numbers
as far back as eSevices will go (2000)

A year ago, we were looking at 2020 being the year we crested a 32 or 33-year membership high, too.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.