Any Lassiez-Faire Squadrons Looking For More?

Started by aestu, April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM

aestu

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a serious individual who is nonetheless more often than not committed on weekends. I am interested in joining a squadron that does not necessarily require participation of every member every weekend, but is interested in having the dues and person of another member. Are any squadrons looking for just one more?

PM me if interested.

Eclipse

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM...a squadron that does not necessarily require participation of every member every weekend...

This would be any and all of them.  This is not a requirement of CAP members, nor are their any units that active.
Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM.
but is interested in having the dues and person of another member. Are any squadrons looking for just one more?
Unless specifically set up as an additional fee, units do not receive any funding or percentage of a member's dues.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Telling us where you are in the country might help.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

aestu

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2016, 12:28:49 AM
Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM...a squadron that does not necessarily require participation of every member every weekend...

This would be any and all of them.  This is not a requirement of CAP members, nor are their any units that active.
Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM.
but is interested in having the dues and person of another member. Are any squadrons looking for just one more?
Unless specifically set up as an additional fee, units do not receive any funding or percentage of a member's dues.

I understand both points. I don't mind an additional fee, while I am looking to minimize required inputs of time. So I am looking for a squadron that can facilitate those goals. It need not be near me geographically (Ohio)

RogueLeader

If you are not looking for an active role, might I suggest a Patron membership?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:44:33 AMIt need not be near me geographically (Ohio)

To join as an active member you need to present yourself in person, with identity documents, along with a fingerprint card
and be approved via a background check.  Before that is accepted, you need to be approved by the unit's membership committee, and these days
most Unit CCs require 1-3 meetings before considering a new applicant, not to mention the Unit CC has to attest that
you have been appointed a mentor to assist with your orientation and training, plus have an understanding of the Core Values, Ethics and safety policies.

That's a fair effort in exchange for your commitment to be a resource for the unit.

Otherwise, as mentioned Patron Membership requires none of this, nor any contact with a CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a serious individual who is nonetheless more often than not committed on weekends. I am interested in joining a squadron that does not necessarily require participation of every member every weekend, but is interested in having the dues and person of another member. Are any squadrons looking for just one more?

PM me if interested.

It might be worth mentioning what you can bring to the table and what you specifically want to do. It is also worth interviewing any local squadrons to you first to find out what staffing holes they have in their orgs that you might be able to fill.

RogueLeader

I would dare say that we, as an organization as a whole, has too many empty shirts as it is.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

Before replying, give us a hint. Where are you located??
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 16, 2016, 04:32:17 AM
Before replying, give us a hint. Where are you located??

He already said he's in Ohio.

aestu

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2016, 01:05:13 AM
Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 12:44:33 AMIt need not be near me geographically (Ohio)

To join as an active member you need to present yourself in person, with identity documents, along with a fingerprint card
and be approved via a background check.  Before that is accepted, you need to be approved by the unit's membership committee, and these days
most Unit CCs require 1-3 meetings before considering a new applicant, not to mention the Unit CC has to attest that
you have been appointed a mentor to assist with your orientation and training, plus have an understanding of the Core Values, Ethics and safety policies.

That's a fair effort in exchange for your commitment to be a resource for the unit.

Otherwise, as mentioned Patron Membership requires none of this, nor any contact with a CC.

I don't mind making any contributions remotely, nor travelling for the initial intake. Like I said, if it works for anyone, send me a PM.

Flying Pig

Based on reading your posts, I don't think you have a very solid understanding about how CAP works.   You give the impression that if you don't commit to weekends you are willing to pay more to be less active? That's not even anything CAP entertains.  There is no "initial intake".  You aren't going to MEPS and enlisting.

Find a local unit, talk to the commander and tell them what your interests and availability are, and join.  What I used to tell my people was pretty simple,  "Just do what you say you'll do and don't leave me hanging when you said you would show up. "

aestu

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 16, 2016, 05:36:56 PM
Based on reading your posts, I don't think you have a very solid understanding about how CAP works.   You give the impression that if you don't commit to weekends you are willing to pay more to be less active? That's not even anything CAP entertains.  There is no "initial intake".  You aren't going to MEPS and enlisting.

Find a local unit, talk to the commander and tell them what your interests and availability are, and join.  What I used to tell my people was pretty simple,  "Just do what you say you'll do and don't leave me hanging when you said you would show up. "

I was of the understanding that one has to show up to mandatory activities. Is it like CGAux where everything is optional?

PHall

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 05:41:24 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 16, 2016, 05:36:56 PM

I was of the understanding that one has to show up to mandatory activities. Is it like CGAux where everything is optional?

No, you really need to talk to your local unit because your understanding of CAP is faulty.

Based on what you've posted here, CAP will probably not be a good fit for you. But that's just my opinion.

aestu

Considering how apt CAP squadrons are to "steal" each others' members, I would think one would be interested in just one more, with limited ability to commit on weekends.

If I don't commit to doing anything in particular, then, will that be fine, or are there mandatory activities?

Flying Pig

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 06:41:22 PM
Considering how apt CAP squadrons are to "steal" each others' members, I would think one would be interested in just one more, with limited ability to commit on weekends.

If I don't commit to doing anything in particular, then, will that be fine, or are there mandatory activities?

CAP squadrons don't really steak each others members.  In my 20yrs as a member, it was never an issue.  You join CAP as an organization.  You really don't "join" a squadron.  Most people join a particular Sq based on convenience and geographic area..  Nor is a Sq just about numbers.  Again, join and do what you can.  Just do what you say. 

aestu

Flying Pig

Nothing is really mandatory.   When I was a Sq Commander, the Seniors only had a meeting 1 Thursday night a month.  Of course they could come every week if they wanted to, and most did.  During those meetings we would do our safety briefs, etc    Most anything in CAP in regards to meetings or anything "required" can always be planned around or made up later if you cant make it.

Flying Pig

But you also have to keep in mind human nature.  if nobody every gets to know you because you cant ever show up.... don't feel weird when people don't take the time to "get to know you."   I had a guy in my unit who couldn't be counted on for anything.  Not that he was really part of anything.. .he just NEVER showed up.  But whenever there was funded flying or funded SAR training, the guy was always the first person in line.  Hmmmmmmm so you can make CAP a priority when its all fun and games, but you cant be bothered to show up on a Saturday morning 1x every 6 months to wash the plane and clean the Sq building?   That was pretty simple... I just retricted his flying.  And shortly after that, he let his membership lapse.  This guy didn't have any issues showing up with his hand out while letting everyone else work to make CAP happen.  Those aren't people CAP needs.  But again, if you are just a busy person, but be upfront.  let people know.    Take on responsibilities that can be done at home or done outside of regular meetings.    Don't show up thinking the Sq just needs numbers. 

aestu

I just want to rack up tenure until my life changes again.