Main Menu

Squadron Leadership School

Started by abysmal, March 24, 2005, 10:28:27 PM

abysmal

Should I go?

Is the qulaity of the course worth the time?
I see that there is an SLS coming up in the next month, but it falls on the date of a wedding of a good friend.

Question is, given they only have it once a year here in Arizona, is it worth going to??

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

I'm told that SLS is something you should go to early on as a senior... I've been a senior for three years now and I have yet to go.  SLS and AFIADL 13 is what is holding up my promotion to Capt... For me it is finding one near enough to where I live since it is two full days of classes with no billeting and I need a ride, but you can go to one in another wing if that is more convenient.

I'd go to the next one offered that is most convenient for you. JMHO.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2005, 11:28:14 PM
I'm told that SLS is something you should go to early on as a senior... I've been a senior for three years now and I have yet to go.  SLS and AFIADL 13 is what is holding up my promotion to Capt... For me it is finding one near enough to where I live since it is two full days of classes with no billeting and I need a ride, but you can go to one in another wing if that is more convenient.

I'd go to the next one offered that is most convenient for you. JMHO.

So there is NO compelling reason to attend the SLS from "MY" wing???

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 24, 2005, 11:31:15 PM
So there is NO compelling reason to attend the SLS from "MY" wing???

There should not be... Unless attending an SLS outside of AZWG is not convent for you personally.  Course content for all PD courses is supposed to be relatively standardized throughout, as I understand it.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

So the question becomes just how valuable is this course?

arajca

If you want to progress past 1st Lt, it is crucial.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 25, 2005, 12:53:26 AM
If you want to progress past 1st Lt, it is crucial.

"Crucial" is a strong word.
Lets see.
If I get a current flight physical I can get promoted to 2nd Lt right away, if not I wait another 30 days and I am promoted anyway.

Then its what, another 18 months or so till 1st Lt ?

So Making O-3 isn't real high on my priority list, and to be honest is not a motivating factor for taking the course. What I really need is KNOWLEDGE of how things are SUPPOSED to work, as compared to how they are actually working right now..

Capt SSnyder

A well run SLS is a valuable tool to running a squadron. Is the wing SLS well run? You may want to take a poll of others in your wing that have attended to answer that question. I would try to attend if you find you are being asked to fill many roles in your squadron.
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

arajca

SLS is good orientation to how things should work in CAP. IMHO, it should replace the Orientation Class currently given to seniors. I encourage seniors to take it as soon as they can.

The only complaint I had with my SLS was with the Cadet Programs session. Only 30 min. and concentrated on saluting. That's all it went over. Cadet programs should have at least an hour and should provide an overview of the Cadet Program. Customs and Courtesies can be taught later.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 25, 2005, 04:10:57 AM
SLS is good orientation to how things should work in CAP. IMHO, it should replace the Orientation Class currently given to seniors.

ORIENTATION CLASS!

What Orientation Class???

abysmal

Quote from: Capt SSnyder on March 25, 2005, 02:33:22 AM
I would try to attend if you find you are being asked to fill many roles in your squadron.

That would fit my description.

arajca

Quote from: abysmal on March 25, 2005, 04:30:49 AM
SLS is good orientation to how things should work in CAP. IMHO, it should replace the Orientation Class currently given to seniors.

ORIENTATION CLASS!

The class that makes up half of Level I. CPPT and Orientation. Usually they are taught together and can take anywhere from 2 hrs to 8 hrs depending on who many people are in the class and how well they get the material. Many squadrons have new SM's watch the video and call it good - which it ain't.

SarDragon

Quote from: abysmal on March 25, 2005, 04:30:49 AM

ORIENTATION CLASS!

That would be the first part of the Level I class you have hopefully taken. The second part is CPPT, which is required to work with cadets. See CAPR 50-17 for all the details.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 25, 2005, 06:29:40 AM
The class that makes up half of Level I. CPPT and Orientation. Usually they are taught together and can take anywhere from 2 hrs to 8 hrs depending on who many people are in the class and how well they get the material. Many squadrons have new SM's watch the video and call it good - which it ain't.

Ahhh, the VIDEO.
yes, I recall that was given to me at the very first meeting.
I was told to watch it, which I did, and that was the end of my "Formal" training.
Everything else since then has been on my own.

pixelwonk

Quote from: abysmal

If I get a current flight physical I can get promoted to 2nd Lt right away, if not I wait another 30 days and I am promoted anyway.

So Making O-3 isn't real high on my priority list, and to be honest is not a motivating factor for taking the course. What I really need is KNOWLEDGE of how things are SUPPOSED to work, as compared to how they are actually working right now..

OK,

Not knowing if either the SLS or the wedding are close to you, I'll just throw this out and you can determine the suitability for yourself.

The quality of the SLS course may vary greatly depending upon the instructors.  In fact, asking us here on the boards will probably not be as effective as asking those in your unit whether it would be worth it or not to go to the AZ one.  If not, see if there's one in a nearby wing coming up before the next AZ SLS rolls around.

If you feel that this one should not be passed up, go to the SLS in the daytime and go to the wedding reception in the evening.  Your friend isn't going to be focused on where you are as he's standing up there sweating bullets. Now I'm not implying you "fake" being there, just simply attend the reception.  Now if you're a groomsman, there might be a problem.  :D

abysmal

What is it about CAP, nothing is every easy.

SarDragon

Quote from: abysmal on March 25, 2005, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: arajca on March 25, 2005, 06:29:40 AM

Ahhh, the VIDEO.
yes, I recall that was given to me at the very first meeting.
I was told to watch it, which I did, and that was the end of my "Formal" training.
Everything else since then has been on my own.

In a word, you got screwed. I teach Level I, and my classes take all day. There are TWO videos, and lecture material material to go along with them. The five segments of the Orientation Course are :History of CAP, Missions and Organization, Uniforms, Customs and Courtesies, and Senior Member Program.

We show different uniform combinations, worn properly, and demonstrate proper saluting technique for those lacking prior experience. There is also a binder with handouts and supplementary information.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

For me, it was 24 months, since the CC had the paperwork in his Chevy S10 office for a year.

Actual time-in-grade (TIG) for 2nd Lt should be 1 year. 
1st Lt= 18mo
Capt= 3yr
Maj=4yr

abysmal

Quote from: SarDragon on March 25, 2005, 07:26:38 PM

In a word, you got screwed. I teach Level I, and my classes take all day. There are TWO videos, and lecture material material to go along with them. The five segments of the Orientation Course are :History of CAP, Missions and Organization, Uniforms, Customs and Courtesies, and Senior Member Program.

We show different uniform combinations, worn properly, and demonstrate proper saluting technique for those lacking prior experience. There is also a binder with handouts and supplementary information.

Well, I have to be honest here.
I was a cadet for a couple years and a senior member for 6 more after that.
Given, this was all back in the late 70's and early 80's.
So I did NOT push hard for a class, as I "assumed" that most of it should/would still be familiar to me.
There HAVE been some major changes in things since 87 when I was last active.
But more is the same than different.
I was told to watch both videos, which I did, and then get started with all of the online testing, which I did.
From there I have been on my own.

abysmal

Quote from: tedda on March 25, 2005, 08:47:47 PM

For me, it was 24 months, since the CC had the paperwork in his Chevy S10 office for a year.

Actual time-in-grade (TIG) for 2nd Lt should be 1 year. 
1st Lt= 18mo
Capt= 3yr
Maj=4yr

Aren't you the lucky one!