Main Menu

PJOC Advise

Started by Ethan Larsen, March 08, 2019, 06:04:24 PM

Ethan Larsen

So I just got slotted as a primary for PJOC Kirtland NM ::)

I'm looking for some general advice from those who have attended. For one, is there anything I should add to the packing list? Also, I'm currently at 60 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, and 12 pull ups. My last mile was 6:20, but I have not run recently: the ground here in Waterville WA is solid ice and snow.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

lordmonar

I have not been to PJOC.....but as for adding to packing list......the answer is NO.

Take everything on the packing list and nothing else.....that is why they have packing lists.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

raivo

Quote from: Ethan Larsen on March 08, 2019, 06:04:24 PM
So I just got slotted as a primary for PJOC Kirtland NM ::)

I'm looking for some general advice from those who have attended. For one, is there anything I should add to the packing list? Also, I'm currently at 60 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, and 12 pull ups. My last mile was 6:20, but I have not run recently: the ground here in Waterville WA is solid ice and snow.

I haven't attended PJOC, but I've been TDY to Kirtland a few times:

- Albuquerque is about a mile high, same as Denver. Work on your aerobic fitness prior to getting there.
- New Mexico in the summer... 'nuff said. Drink lots of water. (It'll also help with the altitude.)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

GroundHawg

I went to PJOC many moons ago at Ft. Knox.

As has been stated, pack based on the list, that's what its for.

When you run in cold weather, your heart rate and the body's dehydration levels are lower than in warmer conditions. The body needs less water on a cold day than in warm weather. So, when you do get to AZ, be sure you are hydrating as much as possible. And in WA, your body does not have to work as hard to pump blood to the skin's surface because running in cooler temperatures requires less energy. Your numbers are respectable, but when you get to AZ with the elevation change, humidity change, and temperature, you will have to hit it hard.

Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open and you will be good to go.

raivo

Quote from: GroundHawg on March 11, 2019, 12:40:43 PM
I went to PJOC many moons ago at Ft. Knox.

As has been stated, pack based on the list, that's what its for.

When you run in cold weather, your heart rate and the body's dehydration levels are lower than in warmer conditions. The body needs less water on a cold day than in warm weather. So, when you do get to AZ, be sure you are hydrating as much as possible. And in WA, your body does not have to work as hard to pump blood to the skin's surface because running in cooler temperatures requires less energy. Your numbers are respectable, but when you get to AZ with the elevation change, humidity change, and temperature, you will have to hit it hard.

Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open and you will be good to go.

(Kirtland is in NM, not AZ, but same principle. 8))

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

LATORRECA

Work on your pull ups to be arms fully extended no bends on your elbows.  Pull us won't count if you don't go all the way down or your chin pass the bar. Practice wide grip and keep running more about 3 miles. Massage your muscles after every PT session with a roller while you at home (don't take the roller with you). As everyone are saying hydrate a lot, 4 litters to 5 should be your goal.

Don't pack the unnecessary you will never use it or possibly will loose it. Just the packing list. Have great attitude towards things and remember ask questions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk