New TV Show - "Homeland Security U.S.A"

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 01, 2009, 03:04:33 AM

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Stonewall on January 07, 2009, 05:04:33 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 07, 2009, 04:59:36 PMMy grandmother does the same thing... Are you making fun of our accent?  :o   Can't even spell Massachusetts.

[darn], I did spell it wrong.  I've always just put "MA".  You know, I was born in Lynn (Essex County).

Your spell check didn't catch my smelling error...  :P
"smelling" is an intended joke

hmm, when I lived there I remember hearing a chant that went something,like "Lynn, Lynn, City of Sin"
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Yeah, so I think future episodes will be more interesting when they bring in the Coast Guard with their high speed boats and designated marksmen taking out boat engines with a single shot while in a hover.  No, not a scene out of BHD, they had a special on a local TV station about this a year or so ago.  Cool stuff.

As good of a job as those CBP cops do on the borders, I would hate to have that job.  I hate dealing with dirtbags day in and day out.  As a cop, I came across so many nasty people I started to find myself not trusting most people.  I imagine those folks on the border are suspicious of everyone as it is their job, but the job can carry over to your personal life and make you an uncool person to be around.  Some peole can separate it, some can't.  That's why a lot of times the only friends cops have are other cops.

BTW, I like what someone said about this show being a Federal version of COPS.
Serving since 1987.

citizensoldier

Quote from: Auxpilot on January 07, 2009, 01:26:48 PM
Quote from: Timbo on January 01, 2009, 05:38:27 AM
I HATE (HATE, HATE, HATE) reality shows!!!!!

However, if CAP can get in on this that would be cool.  Unfortunately, that would never happen. 

CAP will be on it but they will get the name wrong and say that we fly helicopters. They will call us the Civilian Air Patrol or something like that.  >:D

We can only hope to be treated that well.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

Stonewall

Just a reminder; new episode tonight in 23 minutes.
Serving since 1987.

cap235629

I am watching this right now courtesy of the DVR and have a question about the New York drug smuggler, doesn't CBP have access to a PDR?  I had one in my car when I was a cop.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

I guess i jumped the gun, they did have it on computer
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Stonewall

I was busy tearing up as I watched Biggest Loser for two hours, so I'll have to watch it later since I DVR'd it.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

I wish this show would go away.  Right along with every other law enforcement reality show.

From being on the inside looking out, I cant believe the tactics that are revealed in these shows.  That stupid Dallas SWAT show was unbelieveable.  It showed their intelligence gathering phase, planning, countermeasures, assault and debrief.  My jaw dropped when I saw the detail that was explained to the public. 
These shows dont deter criminals or terrorists.  It just makes them plan better.

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 14, 2009, 04:15:01 PM
I wish this show would go away.  Right along with every other law enforcement reality show.

I agree 100%.  I say this every time one comes on and it really ticks me off.  That said, I will watch them (or record them) when shown because I am genuinely interested.

From the embedded news crews with SF teams in combat to following CBP, all these shows should go away, regardless if I enjoy watching them or not.
Serving since 1987.

Timbo

Quote from: Stonewall on January 14, 2009, 06:17:12 PM
From the embedded news crews with SF teams in combat to following CBP, all these shows should go away, regardless if I enjoy watching them or not.

No......I agree with special operations that should remain secret, but if we did not have reporters embedded, what kind of reaction do you think there would be??  Those are not "reality shows", those are reports on wartime operations.  Just the same as what was produced during World War Two, just "real time", and not full of propaganda.

We need that sense of openness from the military in our society today.  We need to report on what is happening in the ongoing wars.  Look at Israel, they will not allow reporters into Gaza, and the world is trashing them. 

Honestly, I like to see Soldiers and Sailors, and Marines and Airman showcased on the nightly news, doing a job that most people have no idea about.  It is real easy for Americans to know that Soldiers go to war, but to actually see them and show their hardship makes it harder for Americans to "forget about them" and their sacrifices. 

Comparing embedded reporters to the [farg]ing crap that is shown in reality TV land is sickening.  There is no comparison.  Showcasing Paris Hilton eating an egg salad sandwich or a COP giving out tickets in no way comes close to showcasing Soldiers overseas in a nightly news broadcast.

If we did not have embedded reporters, can you imagine what would happen??  Can you?  The wars would be going far worse than they already are.  I would not have gotten my upgraded armor, Congressman would not be questioning the DoD on situations they would not have known about had it not been shown on the nightly news.  It is far better to be open in our society than it is closed.

Why do you not agree with having reporters with the troops??  Or do you just hate reporters altogether?       

Flying Pig

Me personally..I hate reporters with agendas.  I have yet to meet one that can get even the simplest of stories correct.

wuzafuzz

Out of hundreds of public safety "stories" I've been involved with that made it on TV or in print, not a single one was reported accurately.  Not even the time the reporter wrote a story about my special assignment and he called me repeatedly for clarification.  My experience with stories on CAP has been the similar.

Having said that, if cops/military/etc don't work with the media and try to correct and shape the story, what does make it on TV or in print will be much worse.

I'm OK with the cop shows, but shame on those who participate and reveal things they shouldn't.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Stonewall

Quote from: Timbo on January 14, 2009, 07:33:14 PM
Why do you not agree with having reporters with the troops??  Or do you just hate reporters altogether?    

Chill out.  You take something so small that someone says here without inflection or facial expressions and make it into something bigger than it is.

In reference to the embedded reporters, I was thinking about OPSEC and some of the information about locations, operations and tactics used by US forces that are openly discussed on TV shows.  I personally think the reporting on combat operations is a good thing too, but when lives of US servicemen is at stake, the operation is more important than getting a story out.

From a CNN report in 2003:

What sparked the controversy was a Monday report by Rivera that U.S. military officials said violated an important Pentagon rule imposed on its so-called embedded correspondents working inside fighting U.S. military units. Rivera had provided crucial details of a future military operation, officials said.

In a live broadcast from the Iraqi desert, Rivera instructed his photographer to tilt the camera down to the sand in front of his feet so that he could draw a map. Rivera then outlined a map of Iraq, and showed the relative location of Baghdad and his location with the Army's 101st Airborne unit. The reporter then continued with his diagram to illustrate where the 101st would be going next.

"He gave away the big picture stuff," one stunned senior military official told CNN. "He went down in the sand and drew where the forces are going."

Serving since 1987.

Hookedonlemons

I usually catch the last 5-10 mins of this every tuesday before Scrubs
I have to say it's pretty insightful.
I like the southern border patrol part of it, smuggling people in places I never thought possible!

Timbo

Stonewall......If I took your opinion out of context, I apologize.

As far as the Rivera incident goes, that was the only major incident in the last 7 years.  He along with his news channel were punished.  He is no longer allowed access to military installations nor allowed within any area of operation. 

As far as this Homeland Reality USA show goes......it makes good TV for those that like that kind of thing.  It only adds to the downfall of Television, in my opinion.  Not that it will take much to totally crap out the TV medium!