Main Menu

Old CAP NHQ site

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 01, 2008, 09:29:22 PM

♠SARKID♠

Shouldn't they have taken this down?
http://level2.cap.us/index.cfm

Theres actually a lot of links to corporate partners, most of which I didn't know we had.

pixelwonk

Yes. Yes they should have.

In the grand scope of things, all websites have old info on them.  CAP does a decent job of making sure folks know cap.gov is where the current info is at.

Nomex Maximus

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Pylon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2008, 09:29:22 PM

Theres actually a lot of links to corporate partners, most of which I didn't know we had.

The helpful thing to do would be to email the responsible person at NHQ to remind them that this is still public.  Happens to all of us sometimes, but it's nice if someone gives us a tip.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

baronet68

The "organization" of NHQ's web pages reminds me of the Winchester House in San Jose, CA.  It's no surprise that things get forgotten in the many hidden rooms... er, I mean pages, owned by NHQ.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: baronet68 on January 01, 2008, 11:24:02 PM

The "organization" of NHQ's web pages reminds me of the Winchester House in San Jose, CA.  It's no surprise that things get forgotten in the many hidden rooms... er, I mean pages, owned by NHQ.

What's the purpose of havng a "CAP.US" when you've already got a "CAP.GOV"?

♠SARKID♠

^CAP.US is an old site that isnt used anymore.  It shouldnt even exist anymore.

If anyone knows the email for the cap.gov webmaster i'd appreciate it in a PM.  I cant find it anywhere.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 02, 2008, 12:21:23 AM
^CAP.US is an old site that isnt used anymore.  It shouldnt even exist anymore.

I understand it's "old", but I'd still question it.  It can't be that old if he Who Shall Not Be Named is on there.  I've been in CAP since Gen Wheless (sp?) was the CAP/CC and we've always had the regular CAP.gov site.  They've obviously known it was there and didn't "forget" to delete it if they obviously had the time to update it with it's "current" information on our now former National Commander.

Pylon

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 02, 2008, 12:27:51 AM
I understand it's "old", but I'd still question it.  It can't be that old if he Who Shall Not Be Named is on there.  I've been in CAP since Gen Wheless (sp?) was the CAP/CC and we've always had the regular CAP.gov site.  They've obviously known it was there and didn't "forget" to delete it if they obviously had the time to update it with it's "current" information on our now former National Commander.

I'm sure at the squadron level the complexities of CAP's internet operations and the overall plan are not always apparent.  I'm not familiar with them either.  But I am familiar with what it's like to be overburdened at work, and sometimes people forget.  I am more than positive that it is not intentional that the site was left up.

In any case, I sent an email to webmaster - @ - cap.gov letting them know of the issue.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Awesome deal, thanks Pylon.  Let me know what they say back

RiverAux

Notice that the "old" site has a 2008 copyright date on it from NHQ BUT our good buddy Ray wrote about this on his blog a few weeks ago and claimed that it is not actually a CAP web site and is run by a pro-Pineda person. 

PhoenixRisen

I just noticed that if you go to "CAP.us" without the "level2" - it brings you to a Great Lakes Region website.

NIN

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 02, 2008, 12:07:35 AMWhat's the purpose of havng a "CAP.US" when you've already got a "CAP.GOV"?

Well, they wanted US.CAP but, you know, technical restrictions and all..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

Quote from: NIN on January 02, 2008, 01:40:52 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 02, 2008, 12:07:35 AMWhat's the purpose of havng a "CAP.US" when you've already got a "CAP.GOV"?

they could have "us.cap.us"  is that taken yet??
What's up monkeys?

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: NIN on January 02, 2008, 01:40:52 AM

:D

pixelwonk

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 02, 2008, 12:07:35 AM
What's the purpose of havng a "CAP.US" when you've already got a "CAP.GOV"?

cap.us was registered by Col William Webb, who was/is the cap.gov administrator, and former GLR CC.
If I had to venture a guess, it was to prevent other orgs/disgruntled_former_members/whathaveyou from registering an official-looking CAP top-level domain (TLD).  ie: cap.us, cap.org, cap.gov...

It should really be parked, or forwarded to cap.gov, rather than pointing to the GLR site, IMO.