Main Menu

Career Advice

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 22, 2007, 01:47:50 AM

♠SARKID♠

I need some help in deciding a career path.

As of now, I'm a music education major, but am finding that its not what I want to do.  I like to play in ensembles and such, but I dont think I want to make it my career anymore.

What I'm looking at is a career in SAR.  I love what I do in CAP, and want to be able to do it all the time.  I thought about the Air Force/Coast Guard, but then I wont be able to do CAP anymore.  Is there an organization that I can professionally do SAR in?

Another idea I had was something to do with radios.  I have fun working with them, and thought maybe I could get into repairs or something similar.

flyguy06

Why would you not be able to do CAP if you joined the Air Force?

John Bryan

Air Force and Coast Guard (and all other uniformed services) allow their members to have a life outside of work. So you could still belong to CAP and be in the USAF or USCG.

We have a member who is in the USCG....he enjoys it most days. One recent 48 hr shift his crew saved 14 liveds.....3 different SAR cases and made a 3 drug arrests. Other days he cleans , cleans, cleans :)

I know there are other federal agencies that you could work SAR in.....for example I believe National Park Service, Park Ranger do SAR. US Park Police does some too I think.

Of course you could do ES for a local government.....Many Fire Depts also run SAR and EMS operations.

Good luck

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 22, 2007, 01:51:08 AM

Kind of hard if I'm in a war.

As for non-wartime, I dont know how it works with living on base and leaving to go to CAP.

star1151

Why can't you still do CAP if you're in the military?  If you deploy, sure, you'd have to put CAP on hold, but when you're in the US, I don't seen an issue.  My brother knows a couple active duty Marines who are in CAP.  I don't see why living on base is a barrier to participating.  First, you don't HAVE to live on base, and second, if you do, it's not a prison.  You're allowed to leave.

If you like radios, I don't know, you could get your A&P and focus on avionics.

John Bryan

The nice thing about the USCG is there maintenance people also are aircrew and get to fly.....so it is a win , win.....were as other services aircrew flys and ground crew does not.  So you could do A&P or avionics work and still fly SAR and save lives

Slim

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 01:47:50 AM
I need some help in deciding a career path.

As of now, I'm a music education major, but am finding that its not what I want to do.  I like to play in ensembles and such, but I dont think I want to make it my career anymore.

What I'm looking at is a career in SAR.  I love what I do in CAP, and want to be able to do it all the time.  I thought about the Air Force/Coast Guard, but then I wont be able to do CAP anymore.  Is there an organization that I can professionally do SAR in?

Another idea I had was something to do with radios.  I have fun working with them, and thought maybe I could get into repairs or something similar.

Of course you can stay active in CAP while on active duty in any branch of the service.  Granted, it would be a challenge to juggle your duty schedule with CAP, especially right out of intial entry training.  Then, particularly in the Coast Guard, depending on what type of unit you get stationed at, it would be especially tough.  Small boat stations typically work 48 hours on duty/48 hours off, with rotating weekends.  If you got a cutter, it would depend on the type; big white ones usually mean long cruises/patrols, while black hulls (tenders-bouy, construction, etc) tend to be shorter deployments, but very intense.  Air stations are somewhat varied in the duty sections that they work, but would be the easiest to balance a somewhat normal life outside of duty.

Other than the western states where SAR is much more common, there really aren't a lot of opportunities to do it as a career (defined for this purpose as a job where you get paid).  Look into emergency management/disaster preparedness/homeland security.  Most counties (at least in my state) and states have an Emergency Management Division or Office of Emergency Management.  EMD/OEM/HLS is the current hot button topic, and could be an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something.

Best career advice I can give is to find something you enjoy doing, and do it well.

Slim

SarDragon

I was on AD and still participated in CAP at three different locations, including an O/S unit in Japan. I had no problems at all, including being a Navy PO, and wearing an AF officer looking uniform. When asked, i explained, and all was kool.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

isuhawkeye

An excellent little known SAR entity is run by the US border patrol.  The specially trained STAR members spend much of their time rescuing people attempting to cross the border

♠SARKID♠

Okay, I didnt think that it would be that lenient in the military. Thanks

Anybody have any more info on the radio side of things?

SarDragon

Avionics. Ground Electronics.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

star1151

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 02:16:14 AM
When you say radios, what exactly do you mean?  I have a quasi-minor in avionics, but I haven't touched the things since then.

flyerthom

We have several Nellis guys/gals in our squadron. That being said is you may end up in a plane with me  ;D

EMS and fire agencys also do SAR. The NPS also has SAR teams but a science BS or History BA are the degrees they want.
TC

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: star1151 on October 22, 2007, 02:24:26 AM
When you say radios, what exactly do you mean?  I have a quasi-minor in avionics, but I haven't touched the things since then.

HAM, land-mobile, that kind of thing.  Never worked with avionics before.  Maybe do radio repair.

star1151

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 02:37:11 AM
HAM, land-mobile, that kind of thing.  Never worked with avionics before.  Maybe do radio repair.

You're out of my area of expertise, then. :-)  Good luck.

mikeylikey

hmmm.......it could be.  Sounds like you have your mind made up.  I suggest you talk to a career counselor or ADVISOR at your College/University. 

I was going to suggest searching the federal job database, but I don't know if I will now.
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 22, 2007, 02:45:37 AM

hmmm.......it could be.  Sounds like you have your mind made up.  I suggest you talk to a career counselor or ADVISOR at your College/University. 

I was going to suggest searching the federal job database, but I don't know if I will now.

not really, I havent made any kind of decision. 

Pylon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 02:37:11 AM

Well, first off - you should always pursue a career path that you personally will find rewarding and worthwhile to have spent your life on. 

As for radio repair... you may want to look into the broader spectrum of electrical engineering.  Think of the career field, not the job.  You'll eventually want to advance up the career ladder.  If you focus on repairing radios, do you really want to still be making the technicians wages repairing equipment after 20+ years?   If tinkering with electronics and radio technology both interest you, however, look into electrical engineering.  You might start out repairing or working on equipment, but the career field will offer advancement opportunities including manufacturing and designing equipment. 

But a career field in EE will require solid math and science knowledge.  Make sure that you match up your intended career paths with your skills.   For example, I'm terrible at math and hate it, so I would never pursue an advanced degree in, for example, statistics even if I liked making pie charts.

To throw one more piece of advice into this pile:  What you get your bachelor's degree in doesn't always matter a lot, if you're not trying to get into certain specialized fields (medicine, law, education and many natural sciences for example).  For example, I got my B.A. in history and French, but I now work in communications, marketing, fundraising, & PR.  Though Master's degrees generally don't follow this rule as they tend to be much more specific, your bachelors (and associates) degrees are often simply a mark of accomplishment demonstrating to employers a certain set of core competencies and abilities (critical thinking, problem solving, writing, etc.) are a level commensurate with a college grad.  In other words, if I were hiring - generally speaking I'd know that, for example, a college grad's writing levels will be higher than the high school grad's writing levels.  It's better to have a degree, any degree, than to not have one at all.

Career counselors and particularly the career advisers at your college/university will be able to give you better and reliable advice.  They deal with this all the time.  Your college/uni. should certainly have a career center or something similar offered, so check into it!  I found them to be a great help while I was in college.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 01:55:55 AM

As for non-wartime, I don't know how it works with living on base and leaving to go to CAP.

The military actually wants you to do volunteer stuff on your off time and will even grant you administrative leave to participate in encampments and training. They even have the Military Outstanding Volunteer Medal to award you if you make a difference. As far as how much time you can get to do CAP, as much as doesn't interfere with your training or duties. Good example is Brigadier General Rich Anderson, His entire career as a Senior was while he was an AF officer. including time to serve as Wing, Region, and National Commander. He still made it to Colonel in the Air Force.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

sardak

Looking for a paying job in SAR?  I use paying job because we should all consider ourselves professional, being a volunteer doesn't preclude this.  Volunteer just means we're not paid.  There are paid and unpaid SAR professionals.  Unfortunately, the paid SAR professionals are rare.  Here are the the first lines from FAQs on paid SAR positions from several SAR organizations.

Ah, livin' the life, huh? The vast majority of SAR is performed in the U.S. by volunteers. Paid positions in SAR are most unusual and are almost always within a government agency.  Colorado SAR Board

Sadly, while we are frequently asked this question, we have not yet learned a way to quit our day jobs. There is exactly one full-time, paid Search and Rescue position in New Mexico...  Cibola SAR

It has been estimated that in excess of 50,000 SAR missions are conducted each year in the United States. Remarkably, over 90% of these missions are executed by volunteers.  NASAR

In Canada, there are not many paid careers exclusively in search and rescue (SAR), nor many that permit direct entry into front-line SAR duty.  National SAR Secretariat

These sites continue with explanations that most paid SAR jobs are military, park rangers, law enforcement, fire, EMS, etc.  Of these jobs, only a few of them perform SAR as their primary function.  From 28 years of experience in SAR and emergency management, I can say that these statements are true.

Mike

Psicorp

WIWAC as a member of the Tyndall AFB Cadet Squadron (08435) nearly all our SMs were Active Duty AF, including no less than 3 Squadron Commanders.  There was also an AD AF Officer who was the official base AF / CAP liaison officer (never did find out who that was though). That person's job was supposed to be to coordinate activities between CAP and the base staff (something I ended up doing on my own). 

Not only is it possible, it's actually encouraged to volunteer outside of your normal duty hours. 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Flying Pig

Live the dream....be a Deputy!

In Ca. the Sheriff of each county is responsible for SAR.  We have a 30 man team that are sworn Deputies.

As far as doing it for a living outside of the military your probably going to need to look into getting into law enforcement or EMS.

Maybe look into the Air Guard in your area.

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on October 22, 2007, 04:06:58 AM
...do you really want to still be making the technicians wages repairing equipment after 20+ years?

Along those lines, no matter what specific degree you study I'd advise a class on entrepreneurship. Jumping off the corporate ship and going out on my own a few years back has made huge difference (for the better) in my life. You can never be too young, either. Even discounting the 20-ish web wizards that started things like Google & Facebook, my brother-in-law started his own electrical contracting company at the old age of 28.

♠SARKID♠

Well, I think I have it.  Since there isn't really and SAR jobs, and I still want to help/save people, I think I'm gonna follow dad and be a firefighter.  It was about 3rd on my career list anyways.

flyguy06

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 22, 2007, 01:55:55 AM

Kind of hard if I'm in a war.

As for non-wartime, I dont know how it works with living on base and leaving to go to CAP.

I have been in CAP for over 2o straight years. i ws deployed to Iraq in 2005. did my thing and came back home and back to CAP. Been there done that.

When I was enlisted I was at Schofield Barracks, HI. I was a grunt E4. I lived in thre barracks. I was also a Senior member in the Honolulu Composite Squadron. Yeah I got ragged on by my buddies for wearing a Air Force looking uniform and having bars didnt help much either. We met on Saturday Mornings. My Post CG had a rule about no training on weekends. That was family time, So I spent my weekends at CAP and taking flying lessons at the local airport. .Again, nothing new here. its done all the time.

Flying Pig

Quote from: ?SARKID? on October 27, 2007, 12:27:29 AM
Well, I think I have it.  Since there isn't really and SAR jobs, and I still want to help/save people, I think I'm gonna follow dad and be a firefighter.  It was about 3rd on my career list anyways.

I think you missed it......

There are a lot of SAR jobs.  I mean A LOT but most are in addition to your regular duties.  The military has it and you dont have to be a Pararescueman either.  Look into being  a helicopter crew chief or flight engineer with a National Guard unit. The Navy, Coast Guard as a SAR swimmer or the AF as or a medic type?  In Ca we have the Air Guard 129th Rescue Wing.  It may require you joining a unit in another State.  To follow your goal you may have to put CAP on the back burner for a couple years.  Keep paying your dues and stay on the list, but dont let the fact that you may have to miss some meetings control the direction of your life. 

As far as SAR, I dont know how Wisconsin woks, but out here firefighters dont really do SAR.   If your dream is to be in a professional SAR organization then go for it. Or at least try.   But realize nobody in the civilian world is hiring entry level SAR techs.  It will have to be a long term goal.

If being a firefighter was #3, what was #1 and 2?

Walkman

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 27, 2007, 06:25:28 PM
[Coast Guard as a SAR swimmer or the AF as or a medic type?

You just reminded me about a friend from years pat. he was air crew on SAR helo in the CG. He also flew some drug interdiction missions in South America. Coast Guard does a lot of SAR, now that I think of it.

♠SARKID♠

QuoteI think you missed it......

No, I was looking for full time, nothing but SAR.  My dream job isnt necessarily SAR, but helping/saving people.  Firefighting can give me that opportunity too.

QuoteIf being a firefighter was #3, what was #1 and 2?
1) Music Teacher
2) C-130 Pilot
3) Firefighter

Flying Pig

Well, thats a broad list.  There are fulltime SAR jobs, but there is a long list of pre-req's and experience to get there.  Good luck.

Pylon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 27, 2007, 06:41:28 PM
QuoteI think you missed it......

No, I was looking for full time, nothing but SAR.  My dream job isnt necessarily SAR, but helping/saving people.  Firefighting can give me that opportunity too.

QuoteIf being a firefighter was #3, what was #1 and 2?
1) Music Teacher
2) C-130 Pilot
3) Firefighter

Why don't you combine #2 and your love of SAR and get a job with the 109th Airlift Wing (New York Air National Guard).  These are the guys who fly the polar missions with the special LC-130's, do aeromedical evacuations and all sorts of other fun stuff.    My squadron got to ride on a 4-hour medical evac training flight with them last year... great stuff.  Their base also hosts the NYWG Encampment (and has for the last 4 or 5 years), and they are extremely wonderful hosts and fully support CAP.

Check it out:
Stratton ANGB
and
Jobs and Careers with the 109th

It'd be at least worth giving them a ring or an email to talk about the different opportunities.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

QuoteWhy don't you combine #2 and your love of SAR and get a job with the 109th Airlift Wing (New York Air National Guard).

Nah, I think I've strayed from the military path.  I used to be really siked up about it, but thats kind of left me nowadays, probably from too much time in the band room. :P

I'll see where it goes.  I'm looking at joining one of my local volunteer fire departments, so I'll see what happens with that.

As long were on the subject, my other dream jobs include...
Storm Chaser
FCC Officer (DF illegal transmissions)
Concert stage crew (possible, had job offers)
Physics teacher
Cameraman (Discovery Channel would be best)
Video Game Tester (Every nerd's dream job)
Charter Pilot
Air traffic controller
Police officer

Your turn!

flyerthom

TC

Flying Pig

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 27, 2007, 10:49:48 PM
QuoteWhy don't you combine #2 and your love of SAR and get a job with the 109th Airlift Wing (New York Air National Guard).

Nah, I think I've strayed from the military path.  I used to be really siked up about it, but thats kind of left me nowadays, probably from too much time in the band room. :P

I'll see where it goes.  I'm looking at joining one of my local volunteer fire departments, so I'll see what happens with that.

As long were on the subject, my other dream jobs include...
Storm Chaser
FCC Officer (DF illegal transmissions)
Concert stage crew (possible, had job offers)
Physics teacher
Cameraman (Discovery Channel would be best)
Video Game Tester (Every nerd's dream job)
Charter Pilot
Air traffic controller
Police officer

Your turn!

My dream job?
A Deputy Sheriff assigned to Air Support.....Oh wait......

But I will tell you....I always wanted to be a parachute rigger.  Never got the chance to go to jump school either. Siiiiiiiiigh.

♠SARKID♠

QuoteA Deputy Sheriff assigned to Air Support

Aha!  I was wondering where 'Flying Pig' came from  :)

Al Sayre

I used to work with a Navy Pilot who got his BS in Musicology...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

fyrpilot2202

I'm a new senior member with CAP, but I found my way into the fire service at age 17, now assistant fire chief. I would suggest a position with a sheriff's office if you were in Washington State, the county sheriff is the agency providing SAR personnel.  Plenty of jobs posted every week, most will pay you $$ to attend an academy and become commissioned officer.  Overtime a plenty during the year, everyone seems to work during major fires, floods, SAR missions.

Firefighting is great, but not as many positions open out here, so odds aren't as good as Law Enforcement.

Good to hear your interest in Comm also -  73....WB7RUC

See www.publicsafetytesting.com
Senior Member - Doug Miller
Pangborn Composite Sqdrn
Washington State