Main Menu

Revalation

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 15, 2007, 05:37:26 AM

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: JThemann on October 15, 2007, 10:20:39 PM
Could we have doctors/nurses/EMTs working at local military hospitals legally on a volunteer bases? Would there be any need for me to work at the local Air National Guard base as a CAP EMT? Could CAP lawyers realistically work at a military JAG office?

Sure, why not?

Take the legal scenario.  Even if you take military law out of the picture, people of all ranks need help with everyday legal issues.  I can't imagine anyone of any rank or branch of service who would consider going into a combat zone, or even just routine overseas duty, without having prepared a will.  Routine matters like that may sound boring, and you'd probably never get to pant after hang around with Catherine Bell, but it's a valuable service.

Medical specialties?  Sure!  Any time there's a base open house or air show, the medical staff would no doubt be glad to have some extra people on hand to help out!
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Dustoff

Quote from: Steve Silverwood on October 17, 2007, 03:06:05 AMMedical specialties?  Sure!  Any time there's a base open house or air show, the medical staff would no doubt be glad to have some extra people on hand to help out!

I suspect there are HUGE liability issues here.

When I was assigned to an AF Reserve Medical unit, my last assignment before CAP-RAP, we were specifically directed to provide ONLY BASIC FIRST AID to civilians attending the Air Show.  There were always civilian EMS assets present and their job was to take care of the civilians.

Our job was to take care of military members.  Now to them, we could do just about anything short of cardiac surgery with a rusty penknife.  ;D

Jim

Tags - MIKE
Jim

SJFedor

Quote from: Dustoff on October 18, 2007, 04:49:18 AM
When I was assigned to an AF Reserve Medical unit, my last assignment before CAP-RAP, we were specifically directed to provide ONLY BASIC FIRST AID to civilians attending the Air Show.  There were always civilian EMS assets present and their job was to take care of the civilians.

Our job was to take care of military members.  Now to them, we could do just about anything short of cardiac surgery with a rusty penknife.  ;D

And only to do the cardiac surgery with the rusty penknife when you could confirm that the military members' tetanus was up to date, correct?

Every airshow I've ever seen has had local EMS, either paid or volunteers, on scene to provide medical care to the people in attendance. The shows at Willow Grove in PA every year had an entire hangar of EMS rigs, tons of roaming EMTs and Medics, EMT's on bikes, etc etc. The military had corpsmen, etc roaming as well, but if a visitor went down (like they always do in the middle of August) they only did very basic stabilization while calling the civilian EMS crew to come over and scoop them up.

Of note, however, there were US Navy physicians staffing the first aid tent for civilians.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)