Main Menu

Cadet Dating

Started by Theodore, April 12, 2016, 12:54:58 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 12, 2016, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 03:55:05 PM
I didnt get a Cadet Handbook

Note to self: Next meeting, ask every cadet if they have a copy, and if not, distribute one.

I don't know how far back, but my most recent cadet had a copy come in the mail with the usual books.

raivo

As with any professional/semi-professional environment, dating within the organization has the potential to generate drama.

That said, I estimate the odds that two teenagers with mutual interest are going to refrain from dating each other because CAP frowns on it, as similar to those of successfully navigating an asteroid field.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Spam

The basic principles are just like at a paid job:

- Keep it outside the workplace
- Not while at the unit meeting place
- Not while in uniform
- This activity (CAP) is not your personal dating service, and don't flirt at work
- No means No, and don't hold attitude about it back at work
- Don't let it impact the unit (No Drama)

I do have had cadets who date outside of CAP, but are completely discreet about it, as I was when I was a cadet (and never dated inside my own chain of command, nor inside my unit). Otherwise, when you violate the above, leadership will step in, because all efforts spent on dealing with drama detract from time available to execute the mission.

To wit:
Just this week I relieved one of my senior C/NCO Flight Sergeants who is being sent back to the ranks (second warning, progressive discipline, counseling by the unit Membership Committee and written letter to be placed in record jacket). I have another cadet who is on a (written) performance improvement plan who we just held an in person counseling board for. The idea is to arrest behavior through progressive discipline, accompanied with the Wingman program element for new cadets, mandatory CPPT training for 18+, and enforcement along the way. From one point of view, a sheer waste of time. From another, hey, perhaps these cadets may have learned the impact of maintaining self control before they get in trouble in paid jobs, later in life.

V/R
Spam

Flying Pig

Dont pee in your own yard.  At least thats what I was told as a cadet in the late 80s :)

GroundHawg

My little brother met his wife when he was 14 in CAP. First and only girl he ever dated, and they have been together since 94. They have 2 daughters now that are old enough to join CAP, though I doubt either will.
She was in another squadron though so that might have helped a little.

lordmonar

Quote from: raivo on April 14, 2016, 12:29:22 AM
As with any professional/semi-professional environment, dating within the organization has the potential to generate drama.

That said, I estimate the odds that two teenagers with mutual interest are going to refrain from dating each other because CAP frowns on it, as similar to those of successfully navigating an asteroid field.
Never tell me the odds!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on April 18, 2016, 12:29:44 PM
Quote from: raivo on April 14, 2016, 12:29:22 AM

Never tell me the odds!

Good because C-3PO's 3720 to 1 odds were far off.  NASA puts it to about 1 in 1 Billion chance for something (like our 12 probes) to hit an asteroid in our asteroid belt. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2016, 05:57:38 PM
My little brother met his wife when he was 14 in CAP. First and only girl he ever dated, and they have been together since 94. She was in another squadron though so that might have helped a little.

While still not necessarily a good idea, the ORM was a lot lower in 1994 then it would be today.

With no "social" media or consumer-friendly internet, if when things went South, you could count on
rarely, if ever, seeing the other person again.  The number of people who meet their spouse at 14, and never date
another person, especially today, is again, statistically insignificant.

These days, thanks to TwitSpace, every normal adolescent mistake rises to outrage, and something totally unrelated
to a respective unit can still wreck havoc because everyone has to takes sides, including in a lot of cases, the "adults".

"That Others May Zoom"

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2016, 05:57:38 PM
My little brother met his wife when he was 14 in CAP. First and only girl he ever dated, and they have been together since 94. They have 2 daughters now that are old enough to join CAP, though I doubt either will.
She was in another squadron though so that might have helped a little.

I know of a few married couple who met as CAP cadets.

Even know of a couple young Senior/Older Cadet relationships that resulted in marriages, too.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: