Main Menu

Cadet Dating

Started by Theodore, April 12, 2016, 12:54:58 AM

Theodore

A friend of mine in Sea Cadets said that Cadets dating each other was very prominent in his organization. So that set me to thinking. What about C.A.P.?

abdsp51

I think before anything goes further are you a cadet or a SM?

NIN

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 12:54:58 AM
A friend of mine in Sea Cadets said that Cadets dating each other was very prominent in his organization. So that set me to thinking. What about C.A.P.?

Didn't you see that whole thing in the cadet handbook?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Strongly discouraged, but not prohibited.

Prohibited between anyone with "senior member" on their ID card and "cadet" on their ID card, regardless of age.

"That Others May Zoom"

Theodore

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2016, 01:25:11 AM
Strongly discouraged, but not prohibited.

Prohibited between anyone with "senior member" on their ID card and "cadet" on their ID card, regardless of age.

To add to that it can also be a problem if one of the two cadets in question is in a command position while the other cadet is a corps cadet.  Now if they can know when to leave their relationship at the door it's not as bad but if they can't differentiate it gets very dicey.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Hummingbird

I've seen it work positively for about 3 weeks. Then the girl who'd started dating broke up with her CAP vet boyfriend and left. She signed up, had the gear, and showed promise, then just stopped coming. She's still on the roster too.

Additionally, her new boyfriend is one of my friends, who won't join CAP now because her ex is the first sergeant. It's just a waste.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

Theodore

So all of you are saying the same thing. Its a ripple affect, the affects the whole C.A.P. community.

Eclipse

Dating at work is generally a bad idea, and those relationships that do last are the exception that prove the rule.

In this case "work" = "CAP" which is supposed to be viewed as a more professional situation, even for cadets.

There are 3 or 4 people on this board who have gotten married through CAP in one way or the other, which is great for them.
I personally know of several situations where CAP careers were ended because of "legal" but ill-advised relationships, and that includes
adults who received the "bad choice award with oak leaves".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 03:31:51 PM
So all of you are saying the same thing. Its a ripple affect, the affects the whole C.A.P. community.

Yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 03:31:51 PM

Did you read in your Cadet Handbook where it talks about how dating is allowed?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Theodore

I didnt get a Cadet Handbook

CAPDCCMOM

Go to CAPMembers.com, under Cadet Programs, you may be able to download the New Cadet Guide.

I concur with other posts here. Dating in a professional environment is never a good idea. While it is not expressly forbidden, the issues can become very ugly very quickly, for you and all others involved.

Theodore

I understand. I wont have that issue. Most of the Cadets in my Squadron are guys.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 04:34:42 PM
I understand. I wont have that issue. Most of the Cadets in my Squadron are guys.

So are most (if not all?) units in CAP.

NIN

Hey, no judgement. Its 2016.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

FW

"Not that there is anything wrong with that"...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on April 12, 2016, 06:11:47 PM
Hey, no judgement. Its 2016.

I too had the same though, but chose the high road.  >:D

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 03:55:05 PM
I didnt get a Cadet Handbook

Note to self: Next meeting, ask every cadet if they have a copy, and if not, distribute one.

C/SrA Ravlin

Theodore,
Do what you want but keep it professional at CAP. I know that there are 2 couples in my squadron and they come in the door and leave their personal lives outside it. I (as support staff) have no objections to it, but, if it gets out of hand you need to think about what to do to fix it. Think about if you are on a SAR mission and on the same ground team. (Humor me here...) what happens if you two are making googly eyes at each other and miss something or talking over a distant cry for help. Far fetched but my point is you need to keep your personal life outside of CAP and your Professional self in CAP.   
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org