CAP use of Email and their websites

Started by TheTravelingAirman, October 15, 2015, 06:47:52 PM

TheTravelingAirman

Ladies, Gentlemen, a forewarning. I have a two part issue that part one made me realize part two pretty well. Please bear with me.

So, our area got hit pretty well by the Hurricane Joaquin cast-off, and now our squadron has people forwarding "calls for aid" from religious charities to our squadron distro list, with no attempt at sanitizing the message of any religious content, then having their CAP email signature as a CAP stamp of approval across the top of the message. Now, call me what you will, as USAF, we are constantly told to keep that stuff out of work, the government has no stance on religion beyond "practice freely, don't infringe other's free practice without cause". So here I am with this. People have complained to me about how they feel like they're getting proselytized to. So. I want to talk to the guy, but my only fear there is due to the fact our squadron is also a local dynasty, and most of the command staff is related, I'm not playing games to get excluded. Sorry.

I decided to go to the wing site, and politely ask the IG to look at the E-mail, look at CAPR 110-1, Sections 2 and 9.b/9.e, and if he/she feels that it's indeed pushing those limits, to politely bring this to the attention of the offender (and maybe Sqdn/CCs). No email is listed. Half the links are broken. I try to access the wing email system... Lost the password among the 15 other 18 character passwords I have. Server cannot reset it, it errors out instead. I've contacted the POC about a month ago about that issue, nothing. I've previously tried to find other squadron information for opportunities for cadets to tour the base, get on some jets, but there is no contact infor for 1/2-2/3 of our squadrons on our Wing page.

I go to the my base site, and it's linked out the Wazoo to provide info on subordinate units, local events, news, higher headquarters, etc. Every independent Group, Wing, Numbered Air Force, and MAJCOM I know of has the exact same layout with modifications for locale. The base I'm hoping for after my Korea Tour in a few months:

http://www.warren.af.mil/units/index.asp

Click "Units", it has information on each Group in the 90th Missile Wing, it's HHQ (20th Air Force), AND a link to the Wyoming CAP page. How do we not have this in 2015? How do we get it? CAN we? Would I be out of my place to see if we can't get a copy of the framework for customization and use as at least a Wing home page (would be better if it went all the way to the top). Or are other wings just less internet-dysfunctional and I'm in the dark ages?

EDIT: looking back, the second part bugs me more. I can just delete emails, but I can't find contact info.

THRAWN

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on October 15, 2015, 06:47:52 PM
Ladies, Gentlemen, a forewarning. I have a two part issue that part one made me realize part two pretty well. Please bear with me.

So, our area got hit pretty well by the Hurricane Joaquin cast-off, and now our squadron has people forwarding "calls for aid" from religious charities to our squadron distro list, with no attempt at sanitizing the message of any religious content, then having their CAP email signature as a CAP stamp of approval across the top of the message. Now, call me what you will, as USAF, we are constantly told to keep that stuff out of work, the government has no stance on religion beyond "practice freely, don't infringe other's free practice without cause". So here I am with this. People have complained to me about how they feel like they're getting proselytized to. So. I want to talk to the guy, but my only fear there is due to the fact our squadron is also a local dynasty, and most of the command staff is related, I'm not playing games to get excluded. Sorry.

I decided to go to the wing site, and politely ask the IG to look at the E-mail, look at CAPR 110-1, Sections 2 and 9.b/9.e, and if he/she feels that it's indeed pushing those limits, to politely bring this to the attention of the offender (and maybe Sqdn/CCs). No email is listed. Half the links are broken. I try to access the wing email system... Lost the password among the 15 other 18 character passwords I have. Server cannot reset it, it errors out instead. I've contacted the POC about a month ago about that issue, nothing. I've previously tried to find other squadron information for opportunities for cadets to tour the base, get on some jets, but there is no contact infor for 1/2-2/3 of our squadrons on our Wing page.

I go to the my base site, and it's linked out the Wazoo to provide info on subordinate units, local events, news, higher headquarters, etc. Every independent Group, Wing, Numbered Air Force, and MAJCOM I know of has the exact same layout with modifications for locale. The base I'm hoping for after my Korea Tour in a few months:

http://www.warren.af.mil/units/index.asp

Click "Units", it has information on each Group in the 90th Missile Wing, it's HHQ (20th Air Force), AND a link to the Wyoming CAP page. How do we not have this in 2015? How do we get it? CAN we? Would I be out of my place to see if we can't get a copy of the framework for customization and use as at least a Wing home page (would be better if it went all the way to the top). Or are other wings just less internet-dysfunctional and I'm in the dark ages?

What wing?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JC004

Commanders have to make sure their unit's information is up to date.  Webmasters re-publishing data for subordinate units have to keep on top of them.  The volunteer nature of CAP and varied IT setups makes for a lot of changes in this area. 

TheTravelingAirman

I get the volunteer aspect. However, I imagine there to be some form of "recall roster" for ES contact, so why can't they ask permission of the Sqdn/cc and post their cell or email so people who want to contact them can?

As for the varied IT setup, wouldn't a unified base page kind of fix that?

Also, I don't want to really out the wing, they've been great, but those two issues stacking so neatly have me a bit heated right now, so I'm just trying to understand.

I am seriously grateful for the responses, so thank you for hearing me out and giving me a bit of time to understand the situation.

THRAWN

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on October 15, 2015, 07:05:23 PM
I get the volunteer aspect. However, I imagine there to be some form of "recall roster" for ES contact, so why can't they ask permission of the Sqdn/cc and post their cell or email so people who want to contact them can?

Also, I don't want to really out the wing, they've been great, but those two issues stacking so neatly have me a bit heated right now, so I'm just trying to understand.

I am seriously grateful for the responses, so thank you for hearing me out and giving me a bit of time to understand the situation.

I just peeked at the page. Looks like they have the main number, and the name of the IG but no other public contact info. Kind of silly, actually. Have access to eServices? Used to be a wing level directory somewhere on the site...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheTravelingAirman

The public number leads to a line that rings a lot, I've heard quite a few times. And the only distro I have is my squadrons, unless it is hidden deep within the eServices.

Teach me your ways. And who knows, maybe someone else will learn.

JC004

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on October 15, 2015, 07:05:23 PM

Disconnect between wing-level directorates...changing personnel...failure to update changed information...confusion on what things to update and how.  CAP's processes need synchronization.

Unified IT setups are a complicated topic.  You can give squadron the ability to have a basic informational page, but that stops innovation by units who have more advanced systems, if they're forced into it. 

There SHOULD be a convenient way for wings to publish their staff directories in eServices, to the personnel in their wing.  That secures it and keeps it as updated as eServices is...

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheTravelingAirman

Rock on. Will tackle at home. Thanks gents.