Vanguard Items - Wrong CAP Seal

Started by Thom, August 15, 2011, 01:03:15 AM

Thom

Not sure which forum is appropriate, so move as needed...

Vanguard has recently added some new items, mostly in the Novelty Logoed Merchandise category, but also Uniform Accessories and others. On several of these items, they have included the CAP Seal.

Only problem is, they used the old Seal, with Civil Air Patrol at the top, and Auxiliary United States Air Force at the bottom.

I realize this is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but isn't someone checking these things before we allow Vanguard to sell them? I think CAPR900-2 describes the current Seal pretty clearly...

End of Rant.

Thom

JC004

900-2 describes a lot of things very clearly that are not followed even BY CAP, even up to the national level.

CAP needs to improves its contract management with Vanguard...and Vanguard needs to improve its product development with better items like those and some good input from members.

Ned

And rather than tell us, may I gently suggest you notify VG so that they can fix any problems berfore any (more) incorrect merchandise is sold, rather than putting it out only to a small minority of CAP members who read CAPTalk.

I'm sure they would appreciate hearing it as soon as possible.

a2capt

..if they cared worth a lick, they'd have investigated it *before* manufacturing.

At least.. thats how it's normally done.

davidsinn

Quote from: Thom on August 15, 2011, 01:03:15 AM
Not sure which forum is appropriate, so move as needed...

Vanguard has recently added some new items, mostly in the Novelty Logoed Merchandise category, but also Uniform Accessories and others. On several of these items, they have included the CAP Seal.

Only problem is, they used the old Seal, with Civil Air Patrol at the top, and Auxiliary United States Air Force at the bottom.

I realize this is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but isn't someone checking these things before we allow Vanguard to sell them? I think CAPR900-2 describes the current Seal pretty clearly...

End of Rant.

Thom

Are you talking about the classic triprop emblem? That is our proper emblem.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

Well that is stupid. How can you be the only CAP insignia dealer and mess up on a seal you probably have seen a thousand times before?

SarDragon

It would help if you gave us some specific item numbers. I didn't see anything out of order.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AirDX

I spotted 3 items:

CAP0914C Civil Air Patrol: Sip and Save Travel Mug
CAP0914B Civil Air Patrol: Save-A-Bottle
CAP0934B Civil Air Patrol: First Aid Kit 

I'm not a Vanguard-basher, I wonder if these are either old stock from before the change or old photos and current stock has the correct seal?  Only Vanguard knows for sure. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SarDragon

I don't recall any of those being Bookstore items, so they wouldn't be olde stockl. They all look like they were done with an olde design silk screen, that nobody caught.

Send 'em an email and let them know.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: davidsinn on August 15, 2011, 04:09:08 AM

I think this is what is meant...

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Yep... they sure boogered it. We haven't used that seal since the early 1980s.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Seal

Emblem

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2011, 07:35:10 AM
Seal

Emblem

Yep, I think the mug looks kinda sharp:

though I don't like drinking from a plastic mug.

But someone pulled old art for the use of the seal.
s/b:

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Has anyone moved from their fourth point of contact and asked VG about the perceived error, as Ned suggested?  If not, why not?

Oh, probably easier to [censored] than act.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on August 15, 2011, 03:46:10 PM
Has anyone moved from their fourth point of contact and asked VG about the perceived error, as Ned suggested?  If not, why not?

How is that our job?  Is VG releasing new products without any input or authorization from NHQ?

If so, that's a problem in itself, if not, then this should have been caught by whomever is responsible at NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to be more than 3 posts long...

I have alerted Vanguard to this situation, we'll see what their response is.

I started the thread yesterday after returning from the 2011 Louisiana Wing Conference and then I promptly collapsed and didn't think about it any further until just now. Imagine my surprise to see over a dozen posts! About a mismatched Seal design!

So, apparently we are all at least mildly concerned with CAP's branding. I wonder if NHQ is this concerned?

Since I've already alerted Vanguard, does anyone know who the CAP NHQ contact is for oversight of Vanguard? I'd like to let them know as well. (Yes, I tried searching capmembers.com, but my Internet access here at the plant is extremely limited and funky. I'm lucky that CAPTalk works OK.)

Thanks!

Thom

Ned

Quote from: Thom on August 15, 2011, 04:20:05 PM
[D]oes anyone know who the CAP NHQ contact is for oversight of Vanguard? I'd like to let them know as well.

The VG contract is administered through the Executive Director's office.  Contact Mr. Rowland.

jeders

Quote from: Ned on August 15, 2011, 04:31:50 PM
Quote from: Thom on August 15, 2011, 04:20:05 PM
[D]oes anyone know who the CAP NHQ contact is for oversight of Vanguard? I'd like to let them know as well.

The VG contract is administered through the Executive Director's office.  Contact Mr. Rowland.

Well when I went through some of this with Vanguard in Feb, the NHQ contact was Ms. Rita LaBarre. I'll PM you with her info.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

Quote from: bosshawk on August 15, 2011, 03:46:10 PM

I've raised several issues with Vanguard nicely to let them know things or ask them to do things.  Some has been addressed/answered, some not.  I have mixed feelings about it, though.  It's their business to do it right and they're making money with no benefit to me.