Main Menu

Military Veterans in CAP

Started by Stonewall, November 10, 2009, 03:12:30 PM

Who is in CAP and a Veteran of the US Armed Forces?

Army/Guard/Reserves
Air Force/Guard/Reserves
Navy/Reserves
Marine Corps/Reserves
Coast Guard/Reserves
Respect our Veterans but chose not to serve.
Tried to serve but couldn't.

Spike

2000-Commissioned Army
2002-2003 Afghanistan
2003 Captains Career Course
2003-2004 Iraq
2005-Joined National Guard
2005-2006 Iraq
2006- Had a Son
2007- Wife to Afganistan
2008-Me back to Afghanistan
2008- Had another Son
2009- left Army National Guard for Air Force Reserve
2010- Schedule says deploy 23 March for 6 months in stan AGAIN

So just over four years outside the States for this Country.  I can't wait until May 15, 2020 to retire!  Coming up next, Promotion to Major...then Lt Col.  I personally never wanted anyhting higher than Captain, but with a Family, I need the $$

to everyone who has served and is currently serving, THANK YOU!

RickFranz

1968 - 1974 Cadet CAP
1974 - 1979 USAF (1974 - 1976 Senior Member)
1979 - 1992 in CAP 3 times, just raising a family mostly.
1992 - 2003 CAP
2003 - 2006 (OTR truck drive never home)
2006 - Present, Back in again
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Ranger75

Trung Si Ma  --  I'll go you one better than the Snowhawk Chapel, the Airborne Chapel at Fort Benning, '77.  --  Regards

blackrain

15+ Years wearing Army Green and counting down to retiring but will probably have to make one more trip to Afghanistan in the meantime.

2 OIF Rotations

CAP since 2006

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Ford73Diesel

CAP cadet 2002-Oct 2009
CG reserve June 2009- present

ricks

1989-1994 CAP Cadet
1994- Basic Training Fort Sill
PSYOP School John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center & School
1996-Airborne School Fort Benning
1997-Noble Obelisk Africa
1998 Army Reserve
2001 Noble Eagle/Enduring Freedom
2003 Iraqi Freedom
2004 SOCCENT Forward
2005 Done
2009 CAP Senior Member

Kaye Downing

Hello,

I served in the USAF from  May 1966 to 31 Dec. 1987.
    I had 10.5 years enlisted in Communications and Command and Control prior to 1976.
    In 1976 I was commissioned and served as an Intelligence Officer.

I had a great career and would not trade it for the world. In May 2009 I joined CAP and am really enjoying it. Hope to spend many years serving the organization.

Kaye Downing
Capt, CAP and USAF Ret.
Jacksonville Composite Squadron FL-383
JAcksonville, Florida

Nick

AFJROTC Cadet: 1994 - 1998
CAP Cadet, Lackland Cadet Squadron: 1997 - 1998
CAP Senior Member, HQ Texas Wing: 1998 - 2001
Air Force Reserve Cop, Lackland AFB: 2003 - Present
CAP Senior Member, Lackland Cadet Squadron: 2004 - 2006
Noble Eagle Mobilization (AF), Hurricane Katrina: 2005
CAP-USAF Reserve Assistance NCO, Southwest Liaison Region: 2006 - 2009
OIF Deployment, Iraq: 2007 - 2008
CAP Senior Member, George Bush Composite Squadron: 2009 - Present
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

High Speed Low Drag

I wanted to go to USAFA, but missed it twice by my Math scores on ACT.  So, instead of going military, I stayed civilian.

1982-1989 CAP Cadet
1989-1992 Firefighter/EMT
1992-2002 Police Officer, various Patrol Divisons
2002-2004 Police Sergeant, various Patrol Divisons
2004-2009 Police Lieutenant, various Patrol Divisons

Salute to all the military/ former military members!    :clap:
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

cap235629

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on November 16, 2009, 04:15:49 AM
I wanted to go to USAFA, but missed it twice by my Math scores on ACT.  So, instead of going military, I stayed civilian.

1982-1989 CAP Cadet
1989-1992 Firefighter/EMT
1992-2002 Police Officer, various Patrol Divisons
2002-2004 Police Sergeant, various Patrol Divisons
2004-2009 Police Lieutenant, various Patrol Divisons

Salute to all the military/ former military members!    :clap:

Just don't let him lay hands on your van or aircraft, he has a special touch....

Things tend to happen around him......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

High Speed Low Drag

The previous poster is merely repeating an urban legend that has no truth to it whatsoever.  Apartment complex explosions, homicides, fatality accidents, officer-involved-shootings, etc do not befall the officer whose transportation I lay hands on.  Merely an urban legend.

This can be fact-checked at snopes.com.

Pay no attention to the previous poster.....it's all smoke and mirrors.
G. St. Pierre                             

Spike

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on November 16, 2009, 04:15:49 AM

Too often I hear what you typed.  So you wanted to Serve your Country, as an Air Force Officer, but only if you could go to the Academy?!?!

I guess things were different in the 1980's.

High Speed Low Drag

I wanted to be an Air Force Pilot.   I was not able to do that, so I decided to serve my country by protecting its citizens on a daily basis.

Spike, I apologize if you don't consider law enforcement as a worthwhile careeer.  I guess 58,792 officers that were assaulted, the 15,334 officers that were injured by suspects, or the 133 officers killed in the line of duty last year were not serving their country?
G. St. Pierre                             

Майор Хаткевич

I wanted to fly helicopters.

Wasn't old enough, and wasn't a citizen, so I settled for Combat Medic. Recruiters screwed with me, and I ended up staying a civilian.

I plan on continuing my service through CAP as well as any capacity I can in my career goal.

Stonewall

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on November 17, 2009, 05:17:10 PM
I wanted to be an Air Force Pilot.   I was not able to do that, so I decided to serve my country by protecting its citizens on a daily basis.

Spike, I apologize if you don't consider law enforcement as a worthwhile careeer.  I guess 58,792 officers that were assaulted, the 15,334 officers that were injured by suspects, or the 133 officers killed in the line of duty last year were not serving their country?

I don't think he was insulting you as a law enforcement officer at all.  I think he was questioning your rationale in that it seems as though you wanted it all (USAFA) or nothing.  As in, if you didn't get accepted to the Academy you weren't interested in ROTC, OTS, Enlisted, Warrant, etc.  I agree that it seems a bit odd, but I just didn't think or care enough to ask.

Again, I don't think he was bashing you or any other law enforcement officer/agent.
Serving since 1987.

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Stonewall on November 17, 2009, 05:44:43 PM
I don't think he was insulting you as a law enforcement officer at all.  I think he was questioning your rationale in that it seems as though you wanted it all (USAFA) or nothing.  As in, if you didn't get accepted to the Academy you weren't interested in ROTC, OTS, Enlisted, Warrant, etc.  I agree that it seems a bit odd, but I just didn't think or care enough to ask.

Again, I don't think he was bashing you or any other law enforcement officer/agent.

I took his comments, in total, to mean that I (and by association, my fellow officers) wasn't serving my country by my career choice.  I wanted to be an AF Pilot (first choice).  When I couldn't fly, I went to my second choice, law enforcement. 

I can admit that I may be slightly sensitive because of a lot of the "if you ain't been RM, then you aint been ...." attitude that comes through the posts on CAPTalk.  Between that and the "fat & fuzzies" comments, CAPTalk is the first place I have felt second-class in all the time I've been in CAP.
G. St. Pierre                             

Hawk200

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on November 17, 2009, 06:56:42 PM... because of a lot of the "if you ain't been RM, then you aint been ...." attitude that comes through the posts on CAPTalk

There are some that act that way, but I think it's a small minority.

Some "RM" get a little testy when there are posters with no military experience want to talk as if they know what the military is like, but have no background, don't know anyone who is or was, and generally show the type of "knowledge" that comes from TV and movies.

I can't count the number of times that I've had people try to tell me "the military is like such and such" when they have no experience whatsoever. Cadets, seniors, people from church, people from work have all done this. It can be annoying, and at times looks like the attitude you've mentioned.

I've actually run into a few folks that I thought were current or prior military, but weren't. It's a combination of bearing, attention to detail, professional behaviour, and a propensity toward the same kind of teamwork that's common (or used to be) in the military. I didn't think any less of them.

There's a lot of people that make a load more money or have some kind of high status that I think less of. Law enforcement is certainly not one of them. And your uniform of choice isn't relevant. There are a lot of poster boy types wearing AF variants that I'd rather not have around.

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Stonewall

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on November 17, 2009, 06:56:42 PMI took his comments, in total, to mean that I (and by association, my fellow officers) wasn't serving my country by my career choice.  I wanted to be an AF Pilot (first choice).  When I couldn't fly, I went to my second choice, law enforcement. 

I can admit that I may be slightly sensitive because of a lot of the "if you ain't been RM, then you aint been ...." attitude that comes through the posts on CAPTalk.  Between that and the "fat & fuzzies" comments, CAPTalk is the first place I have felt second-class in all the time I've been in CAP.

I'm former military and card carrying member of the Thin Blue Line as I wore a badge for 7 years with pride.  If what Spike said was meant to be offensive, I think I would have taken notice. 

Although I have come across many people in CAP who surprised me to be anti-law enforcement, I don't know many here on CAP Talk.  IMHO, CAP, Military, Police and EMS are part of a family; some may be the cousins you never talk about; but if nothing else, we have a common bond of volunteerism, service and patriotism.

Don't take offense to what Spike said, I seriously think you're looking too much into it.  I also don't equate not getting into the USAFA with not being able to fly for the Air Force.  Not saying you made the wrong choice, that's not my place to say either way.  Just thought it was a little...different.

Flying Pig, care to comment here?
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

I know a person who wanted to go to the AFA, but didn't get in. The person went to a civilian college for a year,  got into the AFA, and is now almost half way to graduation.

While in the civilian college, showed no interest in ROTC. Weird, but who am I to judge?