Main Menu

VSAF Annoucement

Started by NIN, January 10, 2008, 09:31:28 PM

Gunner C

Quote from: GPVIIOps on April 02, 2008, 08:52:24 PM
For those who are interested to know what kind of jobs are open with the VSAF program (we are not handing out towels at the gym) here is the updated list for now. As we become more public more opportunities on base will open up I am sure.

Base Exercise and Readiness Office
NAF Human Resources Office
Base Hospital Flight Medicine Clinic
Military Personnel Flight
Airmen and Family Readiness Center
Services - Support Base Honor Guard

Before you ask, I don't know what anyone would be doing in these offices, just thought some people would be interested to see what kind of jobs VSAF has for us. All I know is that I have had a good time so far.

These aren't bad duties!  I'm impressed.

mikeylikey

^ Actually they are not bad Offices, we do not know what duties you will have in said offices.
What's up monkeys?

Short Field

The duties are probably commiserate with the quality and capability of the volunteer that shows up.

I need to avoid that program as I have already spent too many years sharpening pencils....  ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Or as was nicely pointed out to me.... commensurate ....

;D
Wilson #2640

SAR-EMT1

Base Hospital Flight Medicine Clinic
Military Personnel Flight

-- dude I am so there! ... except.. wait a minute...
Scott AFB closed its clinic and contracted with the local civilian hospital back in 2006. And the MPF was contracted out in '07

...  ::) ???  >:(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

Though this appears to pre-date the VSAF program, it does appear to be somewhat similar in that MD Wing folks are working directly with the AF, though not in any "glamorous" job:
http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=4179&year=2008&month=4

SAR-EMT1

Kach ... have you and your space tours ever been featured on the National website?

GPVIIOPS:

Im assuming the excersize is over, what does the Air Force have you doing now?

Have you picked up any "perks" yet? I must say Im really interested in whether or not we will  be able to wear our "normal" uniforms for this VSAF duty in the future.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 26, 2008, 09:00:40 PM
Kach ... have you and your space tours ever been featured on the National website?

GPVIIOPS:

Have you picked up any "perks" yet? I must say Im really interested in whether or not we will  be able to wear our "normal" uniforms for this VSAF duty in the future.

Not yet, but it is on the list for me to have our new PAO do when I come back from Texas.
Another former CAP officer

afgeo4

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 26, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

GPVIIOPS:

Yeah... they gave him a free 1 year membership to the Club at Patrick AFB

:o
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

Nice, however CAP SM's already have the option of joining a Club, I was told that it is in the same context as CAP having Aero Club rights.

Now, not knowing how much membership is at Patrick this is probably a great gift.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

PA Guy

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 27, 2008, 08:01:21 AM
Nice, however CAP SM's already have the option of joining a Club, I was told that it is in the same context as CAP having Aero Club rights.

You may want to confirm that.  I think it is up to the individual club/base commander whether or not to extend membership to CAP members.  My sqdn was located on an AFB and the base commander allowed CAP members to have club memberships.  Several yrs later and a new base commander the privilege was withdrawn.

I just looked at my MSA from Natl. Staff College last yr and it specifically authorizes use of the Club while attending NSC.  The graduation banquet was held at the Club and while waiting for dinner I remember looking at a membership brochure and CAP  was not listed as a category eligible for membership.

SAR-EMT1

This is true it is up to the /CC
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

GPVIIOps

GPVIIOPS:

[/quote]

Being in the Exercise Planning Office, there is always another exercise around the corner. Right now we just completed the NLE or National Level Exercise, and now we are ramping up for another local exercise next month. We have one a month planned out and as soon as you finish one, it's time to start working on the other.

As far a "perks" go, I am not sure what I could get. The base CC here is pretty lenient with CAP. I can already use just about any facility on base with the acception of the BX. I can use the service center, self help, hobby shop, golf course, and I have yet to try, but I hear tell that we can use the O-Club on base.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

RiverAux

Luke Air Force Base is trying the program also: http://www.cap.gov/documents/Thunderbolt_article_May_9.pdf 

No specific details, though it says they mostly need administrative help. 

GPVIIOps

Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2008, 03:43:30 PM
Luke Air Force Base is trying the program also: http://www.cap.gov/documents/Thunderbolt_article_May_9.pdf 

No specific details, though it says they mostly need administrative help. 

From what I hear they are starting to open it up a little more now. Not sure who all is going to be participating though.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

SAR-EMT1

Just let me know when Scott AFB in IL starts the VSAF. Either that or the ILANG
::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RiverAux

The May-June issue of the Volunteer features this program: http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/civil_air_patrol_volunteer/
but it doesn't have any new info. 

JohnKachenmeister

Patrick AFB shut its aero club down more than a year ago.
Another former CAP officer

Short Field

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 27, 2008, 06:01:00 AM
Yeah... they gave him a free 1 year membership to the Club at Patrick AFB

That is worth some bucks most places.  Monthly club dues are not insignificant - and you had to sign up for the Club's credit card to pay the dues.  Might have changed since I left....
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Story about CAP member in Luke AFB VSAF program ... just talks about him videotaping a change of command ceremony.  http://www.luke.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123100576