Vanguard CAP Sword (pictures)

Started by JC004, August 29, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

Nathan

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 10, 2008, 11:59:24 PM
CAP has a huge issue when a pilot bangs his wing into a hangar.  Can you imagine what would happen the very first time a finger goes missing because someones sword was being waved around.

I was under the impression that the swords did not have sharp blades. And if they did, it's not particularly difficult to dull them.

As for the point, you may as well bar cadets from holding pencils... They have a much higher chance of landing on the point of a 5 inch pencil than a several foot long sword by accidently tripping...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

O-Rex

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 10, 2008, 06:26:43 PM
It's even more silly that they'd offer an officer sword for a NONCOMBAT organization.

Yeah, I agree.

I wonder why USPHS wears them????

SAR-EMT1

Why do Doctors do anything? -- Because they can.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

N Harmon

Quote from: Stonewall on August 29, 2007, 06:40:07 PM
I bet, after this thread, the sales of the CAP Sword will increase ten-fold.  Lots of people make fun overtly, but inside, they're looking at their check book to see if they can afford it.

The first time I see a CAP Officer carrying around a CAP sword, I'll turn in my 2A for retirement.

Off Topic: Are you even old enough for CAP retirement?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

I have an Air Force Officer's sword. We use it primarily for cutting the cakes at promotion ceremonies, banquets, etc. No one has lost an eye yet....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2008, 02:10:37 PM
I have an Air Force Officer's sword. We use it primarily for cutting the cakes at promotion ceremonies, banquets, etc. No one has lost an eye yet....

Major Lord

and?  You are not a 12 year old kid.......................
What's up monkeys?

Major Lord

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 14, 2008, 03:29:02 PM

Major Lord

and?  You are not a 12 year old kid.......................

I don't quite see your point. (no cutting-edge pun intended) I thought this thread was about CAP swords, not whether we should be arming 12 year olds.

I still remember with great glee two Ventura Military Academy Cadets drawing down their sabers at me and saluting like they were on the parade ground at West Point. In this case it was Ft. Hunter Ligett in the heat of summer, and I have to say two little badgers rendering sword courtesies  with blades 2/3 their own height was very keen! ( pun intended)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jeff80mcmillan

Major Lord

hey do you have any pics of that sword. I like to see them :)
Why do you use it to cut cakes, do some sword practicing :D

Edit:
Opps .. I saw later that this is real old and I am sorry about that. messed up in first post :(

The CyBorg is destroyed

I can hear the thunderous "NO!" from our Safety Officer once he finds out about this.

It looks sharp (ouch) but I haven't that kind of disposable income for Come And Pay needs as it is.

USPHS is not a combat service, but they, along with the Navy (in certain situations) provide medical care for the Coast Guard (which is a combat service), so I can see where they could be tasked under combat conditions.

I guess I'll have to stick with my official, George Lucas-sanctioned replica lightsabre. 
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

Quote from: CyBorg on February 27, 2010, 08:31:48 AM
I can hear the thunderous "NO!" from our Safety Officer once he finds out about this.

It looks sharp (ouch) but I haven't that kind of disposable income for Come And Pay needs as it is.

USPHS is not a combat service, but they, along with the Navy (in certain situations) provide medical care for the Coast Guard (which is a combat service), so I can see where they could be tasked under combat conditions.

I guess I'll have to stick with my official, George Lucas-sanctioned replica lightsabre.

It's Lightsaber, not lightsabre.  grrr

There was a pic up at the start of the thread. . .  IDK if its still there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

What was the purpose of this sword?  Decorative?  Knighting Wing Commanders?  I heard, saw and read discussion, but what was it intended to be?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2010, 08:22:51 PM
What was the purpose of this sword?  Decorative?  Knighting Wing Commanders?  I heard, saw and read discussion, but what was it intended to be?
Only to separate someone from their cash.  I saw it in person at the national board a couple of years ago.  Horrible artwork, no reason for it.

MikeD

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2007, 06:25:44 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on August 31, 2007, 06:18:09 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on August 31, 2007, 02:29:19 PM
[We could all be CAP (Civil Air Pirates)  >:D

Arrrrrrr, Matey!  Avast, there, and swag out the bilge!  Hard a-starboard!  Bring the guns to bear! 

......sorry, I went away there for a moment, but I'm back now.

What the heck did I just say, anyway?

Jack

But isn't "Civil Air Pirates" a great idea for a T-shirt or an unauthorized flight suit patch?

OK, I need one of those.  Maybe another to hang on the wall-o-patches I have at work.  Did anyone design this yet?

Dracosbane

MikeD

Quote from: Dracosbane on February 28, 2010, 06:03:02 AM

Just of the cuff...

Nice job!  I can't think of any bit changes, but I'd like to see it with a white or blue background to see how it'd look. 

Major Lord

You know, I think there is a good argument for CAP's claim to piracy..We did prey on enemy shipping without any lawful authority to do so.....I am pretty sure the Germans or Japanese would have made us walk the plank or beheaded us as brigands if they were able to lay hands on us....Scurvy dogs!

Major Lord

a2capt

Pre-emptive preying...  ;-) All justified when it was those pesky little yellow and blue airplanes that drove them off .. ;)

.. cause them to fall on their swords and leave.

Dracosbane

Blue.  White really wouldn't work well.  The blue's ok with it being a darker color.