Vanguard CAP Sword (pictures)

Started by JC004, August 29, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

O-Rex

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 01:23:11 AM
CAP personnel have not normally carried firearms or swords. The cirumstances do not justify Civil Air Patrol as an organization "earning" a sword as part of its heraldry. We have no official history of carrying a rifle or a sword as part of our normal operations.

Thank you!

Some customs & norms are not cited, but are adhered to nonetheless.

Even the armed forces has gotten away from it: you don't see Army Officers wearing sabres (swords for NCO's) outside of the 3rd Inf Regt.

Newly commissioned Marine Officers are no longer required to buy them, unless they are slated for a diplomatic or ceremonial posting.

The CAP sword is an interesting conversation-piece, but I can think of alot of other CAP-toys I could by with that kind of money. . . .

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 30, 2007, 02:36:19 AM
Well, the Air Force never carried swords in combat, either.

Exactly. I don't think the Air Force rates any kind of sword, either. They look cool, but it's not something the Air Force has as part of its own history. I spent a while in the Air Force, and I'm all for looking cool, but it has to be fitting. I don't think this sword from Vanguard is. It's just another item for them to make money from, and they know people will buy it. Considering their uniform Nazi's, I'm wondering how long it will be before one of our folks tries to order it, and told they can't because "it's not authorized for wear".

(Just had to...)

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on August 30, 2007, 02:48:00 AMThe CAP sword is an interesting conversation-piece, but I can think of alot of other CAP-toys I could by with that kind of money. . . .

As could I. If I was looking to spend that kind of coin, I'd probably put it in the kitty towards one of those fancy new style L-pers. They're nice, but spendy. You could keep it in your trunk, it looks like it could handle a few knocks and be fine.

Whaddya gonna do with a sword? Hang it on your wall? Play "CAP Musketeers"?  >:D

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 02:55:26 AM
Whaddya gonna do with a sword? Hang it on your wall? Play "CAP Musketeers"?  >:D

"There can be only one."
Mike Johnston

wingnut

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think when we decide on who is going to be the next XO we challenge them to a dual. That way you only have to buy two. Maybe we could do away with the 2b. And instead of resign! HAVE them FALL on their Sword. Think of the possibilities.
1. strap it to a 182 wing strut and have low level stick-um missions, on the border.
 2. On CD missions we can spot and harvest.
 3. Teach those pesky F-16s to get too close.
 4. we could field a CAP fencing team at the Olympics.
 5. I can have a Military wedding, with swords.

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on August 30, 2007, 02:58:21 AM

"There can be only one."

Too bad the applause icon isn't working.... ;D

On the other hand, how many people will get it?

Hawk200

Quote from: wingnut on August 30, 2007, 02:59:05 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think when we decide on who is going to be the next XO we challenge them to a dual. That way you only have to buy two. Maybe we could do away with the 2b. And instead of resign! HAVE them FALL on their Sword. Think of the possibilities.
1. strap it to a 182 wing strut and have low level stick-um missions, on the border.
 2. On CD missions we can spot and harvest.
 3. Teach those pesky F-16s to get too close.
 4. we could field a CAP fencing team at the Olympics.
 5. I can have a Military wedding, with swords.

On that note, I think your handle fits you perfectly.. ;D

Cecil DP

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 29, 2007, 11:24:14 PM
At a wedding, under Air Force rules of ettiquette, the sword-bearers cannot be the ushers.  Don't know why, and I sure don't know anybody getting married who wants to spring for an arch of swords at $300 a pop, and in fact I have no idea why I posted this useless piece of trivia.

Actally in the case of ceremonies (official or not) the base or unit At least in the USMC and Navy issue swords from their armories just for that occasion. Of course true lifers have their own.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 03:00:11 AM

"There can be only one."

"I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal."
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on August 30, 2007, 03:43:54 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 30, 2007, 03:00:11 AM

"There can be only one."

"I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal."

Glad someone did. Either I'm not that old, or I have good company.

JohnKachenmeister

The only sword needed by a CAP officer is the little plastic one that is run through the olive in his martini
Another former CAP officer

ZigZag911

CAPM 52-16 1-4 (c) states: "There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity."

A sword (even a ceremonial/replica sword) seems to fit the prohibited category.

Are ceremonial swords used @ AF Academy?

Anywhere else in USAF?

JC004

Cadets themselves are far more dangerous than a ceremonial sword with dull edges.  They don't need pointy things.

Al Sayre

We need to read the full sentence "... at any CADET ACTIVITY" (emphasis mine)  I would not consider a Wing Conference or Banquet, a CAP Wedding, or any number of other activites where ceremonial dress is appropriate and there might be Cadets present but not the major players in the activity, to be a "CADET ACTIVITY."  YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 30, 2007, 07:19:03 AM
We need to read the full sentence "... at any CADET ACTIVITY" (emphasis mine)  I would not consider a Wing Conference or Banquet, a CAP Wedding, or any number of other activites where ceremonial dress is appropriate and there might be Cadets present but not the major players in the activity, to be a "CADET ACTIVITY."  YMMV

We should have all sorts of weapons and dangerous things at SLS and CLC.  ::jots down a note::  oooo I can't wait to direct my first SLS...   :)  Weapons are fun!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 30, 2007, 06:48:32 AM
CAPM 52-16 1-4 (c) states: "There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity."

A sword (even a ceremonial/replica sword) seems to fit the prohibited category.

Are ceremonial swords used @ AF Academy?

Anywhere else in USAF?

I think that ceremonial swords ARE used at the Air Force Academy.  As far as anywhere else in the Air Force, I'm not sure.  Such use is very uncommon, in any case. 

The only evidence I can find on short notice is the AF prohibition on using sword-bearers at military weddings as ushers.  Such a prohibilition indicates that it is possible to have a traditional arch of swords.
Another former CAP officer

BillB

If anyone is interested, I have several 1840 U.S. Cavalry sabers (*swords?) for sale. I believe they are reproductions and if you are a Civil War recreator just what you are looking for.  I got them for a Squadron fund raiser to sell at the Civil War battle recreations around the country.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

afgeo4

I think every officer being promoted to Colonel should get a CAP sword. Not that I'm all up the Colonels' rudders, but it seems fitting. Becoming a Wing CC, becoming a corporate officer... and you know they're lifers anyway.
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

I think CAPblog quoted my Highlander quote.  :)
Mike Johnston

CAPLAW