Main Menu

Favorite Weapons

Started by RogueLeader, July 10, 2007, 05:08:37 PM

Viper QA

Quote from: JC004 on July 15, 2007, 07:49:33 AM

Accessories for the day.   :)

Hey JC...

Do you own an XD? If so, do you like it? Is it comfortable to carry?

I am debating my next purchase & have narrowed it down to the XD or Smith M&P in .40 S&W.

Just wondering...thanks!
J.J. Jones
NY-135

JC004

Quote from: Viper QA on July 22, 2007, 03:09:27 PM

Hey JC...

Do you own an XD? If so, do you like it? Is it comfortable to carry?

I am debating my next purchase & have narrowed it down to the XD or Smith M&P in .40 S&W.

Just wondering...thanks!

I do...that's mine there.  I love it.  Comfort depends on your build, clothing, and holster.  That is a Service model (4" barrel), which is about as big as I would want to carry.  There is also the subcompact (3" barrel).  The choice of the Service model for me was a matter of 1. large hands (comfort and control) and 2. long-range accuracy (less important for most self-defense situations, but more important for various target shooting).  I'd look at both sizes and see what you like.  Various XDness:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/glockxd_032107/index.html
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/springfield_armory_xd_series/
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_XD,,00.html
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/springfieldxd_061206/
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/xd_0722/
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWlbikAqdI

Viper QA

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of subcompact guns...there just too small. I'm pretty comfortable with the size of the XD in the service model. I've held one while window shopping at Gander Mountain & I was pleased with how it felt. Not owning one I have obviously never shot or carried one. I was just wondering if you owned one & what you thought of it.

I usually carry a Beretta 8357 or a Glock 23, so I think the XD would be pretty comfortable to me. Depending on the time of year I either carry in an inside the pants or shoulder holster.  I have a Beretta 92F & 96, but I find them too large to carry comfortably.

I'm torn between the XD & the Smith M&P. I really like them both! Maybe I'll get one this year & one next year.

Thanks for the feedback!
J.J. Jones
NY-135

Johnny Yuma

Not a cop, nor a serviceman. Do hold a Kansas CCL.

Depending on the day, what I'm wearing, where I'm going, weather, astrological alignment of the stars and planets, etc., I carry the following

1. Browning Hi-Power carried cocked and locked in a Bianchi IWB clip holster or Galco Summer Comfort. It's loaded with fourteen Federal 124 grain Hydrashoks in the pistol and a spare 10 round clip in my pocket.

2. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911A1 carried cocked and locked in the same holsters as the Browning, they interchange. It's loaded with eight Remington 230 grain JHP's in the pistol and 2 spare 7 round clips. I've tried the 8 round clips and I've had feeding problems.

3. Smith and Wesson 36 Chief's Special in a 60's vintage Chic Gaylord 8 Ball scabbard (extra credit if you can tell the class who Chic Gaylord was). It's loaded with Speer 135 grain +P Gold Dots with 2 speed loaders in a pocket.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

IceNine

Some people call it a Kaiser blade I like to call it a Slingblade
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SARPilotNY

Quote from: wingnut on July 13, 2007, 09:08:58 AM
You Guys are need to get a grip, I mean it, what in sams H*$## are you even worried or discussing weapons in CAP, we are not cops, military police or "Storm troopers", we are an emergency Service outfit the USAF Auxiliary of the USAF, not Green Beret, or USMC snipers, guys if you need a weapon use this 

These ideas in some minds are fantasies but the reality is that I have seen too many CAP members carry concelled firearms on CAP activities.  I have seen knives that have no practical purpose on a web belt for what we do.  I have been in LE all my adult life, the first year I carried my weapon everywhere...than something happened...maybe I grew up.  Anyone seen our folks with lights and sirens?  I think what people lose site of is when you expose your firearm, you better be prepared to use lethal force.  That is a huge responsibility.  That's why I have a great pair of running shoes.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

RogueLeader

This is supposed to be something for people to enjoy talking about.  This isn't about CAP.  It happens to be here, because I'm not on any other forums.  I think that we all, or should realize that during CAP activities, we are not armed.  Many of those here expressly note that they are not.

Let people enjoy their passions.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 24, 2007, 03:16:10 AM
Quote from: wingnut on July 13, 2007, 09:08:58 AM
You Guys are need to get a grip, I mean it, what in sams H*$## are you even worried or discussing weapons in CAP, we are not cops, military police or "Storm troopers", we are an emergency Service outfit the USAF Auxiliary of the USAF, not Green Beret, or USMC snipers, guys if you need a weapon use this 

These ideas in some minds are fantasies but the reality is that I have seen too many CAP members carry concelled firearms on CAP activities.  I have seen knives that have no practical purpose on a web belt for what we do.  I have been in LE all my adult life, the first year I carried my weapon everywhere...than something happened...maybe I grew up.  Anyone seen our folks with lights and sirens?  I think what people lose site of is when you expose your firearm, you better be prepared to use lethal force.  That is a huge responsibility.  That's why I have a great pair of running shoes.

We do get a few dorks who want to put sirens on their cars to go rescue someone who has crashed 6-8 hours before the call even went out.

But I spent 25 years as a cop, and after the stuff I've seen I don't go noplace without a gun (except, of course, on CAP functions).

Nothing fancy, just a good .38 concealed, and a real nice G.I .45 for home defense.
Another former CAP officer

SARPilotNY

Maybe when I was "stuck" in the city for a year I felt safe because the City of NY had a ban on handguns.  Actually my greatest fear was getting robbed and having the thief see my shield and use me as a trophy.  I quit carrying my OD weapon and shield...I always had good luck getting out of a ticket anyway.  Than there was the fear of somebody hunting me down at home and waisting me there.  Locks, bars, alarms...   never happened (yet).
They really don't go after the eyes in the sky.  I have a very uncommon last name and trying to keep it out of the public record is hopeless. I am more worried about my sisters than me.  In all the years I never made a bad arrest, didn't need to, to many fish in the sea.  You hear stories of officers never drawing their weapon, I have, never fired a round.  But just as odd to some, I never had anyone say "I'm going to get you".  Maybe says something about being honest and fair.
One other point...never wanted to be off duty and draw down to make an arrest and have my wife and kids with me.  No gun...I just make a good (expert) witness.  Remember my rules...  On Duty Glock,  off duty...running shoes.  Rule #3  Stay out of bad neighborhoods off duty!

Flying Pig

Interesting philosophy.......You actually felt "safe" in a city with a handgun ban?

Heres an alternate set of rules......On duty S&W TSW .45, off duty, S&W CS45.  Id like to insure I have the opportunity to be  good witness and maybe prevent a few victims.  Ive drawn my weapon once off duty to prevent a fleeing hit and run suspect from driving away with a car load of someone elses kids.  Just yelling for him to stop didn't seem to convey the urgency of my order.  Stood in line off duty at a restaurant with parolee-rapist I had shot about 2 years earlier.  He's the one who decided to go somewhere else.

Ive been in 3 officer involved shootings, and two others where I was directly shot at but couldn't return fire. Never made a bad arrest, but have had several people tell me they would "get me".  None have.  Although I did have one guy I had continual contact with describe my wife to me once.  When we were finished I recall him apologizing for any misunderstanding.  Ive never found many dirt bags who really care that Im "honest and fair" although they seem to all talk about some sort of distorted "respect" that I have yet to figure out.

SARPilotNY

Really never felt that unsafe in NY except late at night in some of the subways...just tried to avoid those areas...but wouldn't let my wife roam around much of the City.  As a rule..the gun laws of New York City keeps the honest folks from handguns...dumb!
I feel just as safe in Florida where the CCW laws are liberal, as I recall the idea of gun battles in the streets never materialized.  My first years on the street were in upper middle class, than went to white collar than high end drug work...most of my arrests were upper middle class white collar, not white trash.  Never understood why anyone would say "thanks" after getting a ticket or making an arrest.  Just like in real estate, location, location, location.  Trust me, if I worked and lived in the inner city, correctional officer or a small two horse town, I would likely carry my weapon...but as in the city, I avoid those areas.  I did once chase a kid and detain him who threw an egg at my neighbors house...but that is a family matter!

JohnKachenmeister

You are fortunate, SARPilot.

I worked inner city most of my career.  But in any case, after seeing what the thugs do to people that they can dominate, I seldom go anywhere without a pistol.  I definitely don't go into banks or carry outs unarmed.  I have had threats against me and my family, once from the family of a dead child who ran in front of a car.  They failed to undestand that the driver could not be charged when their kid ran into the path of his car.  The father was waiting for me with a gun in his hand for me to come home from work.  As luck would have it, I had something to do after work, and came home by a different route.  I saw him before he saw me, and I arrested him.  I'm just glad I came home before my kids came home from school that day.

I carry a gun.  You do what makes you feel right.
Another former CAP officer

SARPilotNY

As I tell all my juniors...seniority has its privileges.  Location location location.   Learned early on to make it to a full retirement one needs to get off the streets.  I lucked out, met a few good, forward looking people and with a pilot rating and being in the right spot, was able to get off the ground.  I have always heard the stories of guys that never drew their weapon, never believed that.  I am amazed that there is another world where you really have to wear your weapon in your own neighborhood to protect youself.  I know it exists, I am lucky to have removed myself from that environment.  I get paid the big bucks to stay 500 feet above harms way, the guys on the ground get 50 cents on my dollar.  Never really thought that was fair, hope they don't change it before I retire.

SARMedTech

removed and sent as a PM.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

bricktonfire

please add the M-4 A1 and Glock 45 with light

Major Lord

This may be tame stuff for you young whipper-snappers and your high speed gaming, but try this anyway. Very little beats the sheer joy of cannon....

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/future-weapons/games/cannon/cannon.html

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

teesquared

Hey, cool. Thanks. I bookmarked the site.   ;D
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

SoCalCAPOfficer

Loved the game Maj. Lord.   First score 91,300.  Gotta try it again.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

brasda91

Quote from: DHollywood on July 11, 2007, 08:18:57 PM

I carry a Glock 23

I dont carry condition 1 however because something inside me just doesn't trust the lack of a mechanical safety.

G22 on duty, G23 off duty, with a round chambered  ;) in a serpa holster and no less than 2 knives.  One for multi-purpose use and one for self-defense.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2007, 12:47:37 AMI've got a round chambered and ready to kill.  I say kill, why, because you don't shoot to injure.  You shoot to kill.

As long you don't say that in front of the jury.  ;D  Otherwise you shoot to stop the threat.  ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011