Main Menu

Favorite Weapons

Started by RogueLeader, July 10, 2007, 05:08:37 PM

RogueLeader

I was wondering what your favorite weapons- not for CAP, but for personal use.  Can be real or imagined.  Have fun.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

This is fun:

This is my next goal:

Got Lead?

Major Carrales

Gotta go with a classic.  Sgt. Savage, you should get one...adds class to any collection, instantally!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Operational security prevents me from providing a picture, but my personal favorite is the M-1911A1 .45 caliber pistol.

The M-1911 was developed in response to Muslim terrorists in the Philippines, who would get pumped up on dope before launching suicidal attacks during the Philippine Insurrection.  The Army pistol that the .45 replaced did not have the knock-down capability that the .45 had.  The M-1911 instantly became a legend.

The M-1911 and its A1 variant served throughout the 20th century, being replaced by the underpowered and effete European 9mm M-9 pistol.  The M-9 has already been abandoned by Special Operations units in favor of returning the M-1911A1 as the standard duty sidearm.

I was issued my first M-1911A1 in 1968 at the ripe old age of 18.  I qualified as a sharpshooter back then, but I got better.  I carried one in Vietnam. 

When I returned to the states, I carried a .45 with a Marine reserve company, and qualified expert in each of the two years I served there.  I again carried a .45 as an enlisted MP in the National Guard, and as an MP officer following OCS.  In OCS I had the highest pistol score of my class.

After I retired from the police force, I bought a .45 of my own... a standard G.I. M-1911A1, nothing fancy or custom, for $500.  It is a comforting feeling when my dog growls and barks at 1:00am that a chubby old man in his boxer shorts can bring the wrath of Thor down on whatever loser is prowling around his house.

"Persons found here at night... will be found here in the morning."

"The dog is friendly and gentile... Beware of the Owner!"
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Can a M1911 A1 still be bought for reasonable prices?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

Depends on your definition of reasonable...  You can find them in working shape (defined as "will fire more than one round in a row without service") at most gun shows for $200 and up.  A $200 Colt however, is not going to be pretty...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RogueLeader

Ok, what would a 1911 A1 cost in good condition- fully serviceable, and reliable, and looking good.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

About $500-$600 for a very basic model, Around $800-$1000 for a decent carry version with the throat worked, the corners and sharp edges rounded, decent grips, and a little trigger work... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

I got a new one for $500, but its a standard G.I. model from Springfield Armory.  Be very suspicious of any M-1911A1 priced under $400.  At less than that price, it is either:

a)  Junk, or

b)  Stolen.
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

You knew it was coming!  Semper Fi Devil Dogs!

R. Steht -  0331
Sgt. USMC (former)

ColonelJack

Well ... since you asked ... here's my favorite weapon of choice.

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Stonewall

Here's the stuff I like.

Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Im going to be doing TacMed for a local security contractor that guards and polices Federal Section 8 housing. They need an EMT for search and arrest warrant execution (that is execution of the warrant, not the occupants...usually). Their entry team carries the H and K MP-5. That sort of gets in the way of my medical battle rattle. Im looking for a good all purpose side arm, actually chest arm since it will be carried on a chest rig. Any suggestions. They've also offered that I can carry a shotgun with bean bag rounds. I also carry OC, an ASP "zip straps" and then my medical pack. They are pretty much going to pay for what I think would work best, within reason. ANy suggestions? Maybe I need to make room for that H and K?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

In special operations and protective operations it is said that "you are a shooter first".  However, it seems in your situation, your primary function is a medic.  If that's the case, I'd simply carry a pistol for protection.

As far as pistols that you'd carry on your chest rig, you'd want to go with a medium frame like a Glock 19.  If you don't like 9mm, go for a Glock 23, a .40 caliber.  People will argue all day long about the best pistol and caliber, but in the end, it's your choice.  I always recommend Glocks for those who don't shoot on a regular basis.  That being said, if you're carrying a pistol on a regular basis, you need to shoot on a regular basis.  But if you plan on wearing it on your chest, you'll want to stay away from a full-size frame like a Glock 17 or Beretta 92F type pistol.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARMedTech

The basic idea is that I wont be doing alot of shooting, except for once a week on the range with the team i work with, and whatever private time I decide to put in. Like I say, they are offering to supply me with an MP-5 but the way I say it is what I need is something to be able to "stand and deliver" if I somehow get seperated from the rest of the team and have to defend myself until the "heavy armor" shows up. Ill be going to a school in September for tactical medical operators and will be trained with the H and K and a Sig Sauer pistol, but then its still up to me in terms of what I feel most comfortable with. I really do have to option of a chest rig or a drop thigh tactical, so there are a few choices open to me. Alot of its going to depend on the tac med vest i go with and how well I can integrate a chest rig into it. Their only requirement for it is that I carry the firearm and two spare magazines in case I get myself into some real trouble and it takes them a little time to get to me. Or i could just lay down and throw the ballistic blanket over myself and hope for the best.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: RiverAux on July 10, 2007, 10:52:00 PM
Bic pen

Perhaps you didnt understand that the reason I am armed in the first place is that there is a good chance someone will decide to take pot shots at me, regardless of how big the "MEDICAL" patch on my chest is.
"Corpsman Up!"

SarDragon

Close in, Bic pens are pointy enough to do some damage, but I think he alludes to: "The pen is mightier than the sword." (Edward George Bulwer Lytton, 1839)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARMedTech

"Corpsman Up!"