Main Menu

The Texas Thread

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 10:09:53 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on April 30, 2007, 03:28:38 PM
Congrats, DNall!

As cool a Apache's are, they're still helos and helos by definition, don't fly...they just beat the air into submission.

Good luck, and be safe!
nah, they're so ugly that the earth repels them.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Quote from: Chaplaindon on April 30, 2007, 01:48:02 PM
Here's a chaplain's prayer that "shoot[ing] things" will be permanently out of "vogue" and unnecessary globally before long.

A just and lasting peace would be a blessing for all.
Surely, but soldiers train their whole lives for war to be ready that day when peace is no longer possible. And do so that others may spend their time talking about peace.

The fact in today's world is that we can placate & have mostly peace if that's all we care about. Or, we can confront evil everywhere, draw it into the open, and deal with it before it grows too powerful for us (whcih may already be the case). Which of those paths would God take?

It seems quite clear to me... If we pull out of Iraq & leave a power vaccum, then it'll be a regional struggle between Syria & Iran, who are fighting each other now in Iraq by proxy. Saudi Arabia will step up, the whole region will enflame, and that'll end with a united all powerful force that's a massive threat to Isreal. Therefore we have to stay & win so we can be that power, cause no coalition of regional states banned together as a super-power is trustworthy or even tolerable for us.

Part of the reason we're in Iraq was/is to draw out the enemy to fight on ground we know with their supply lines stretched. It wasn't the decisive engagement we'd wanted though. We'll stabalize it just fine in time w/ enough troops, then we'll have to move off to another battleground in this war, because if we don't then the enemy has time to lick its wounds & grow strong again & we can't allow that. This is literally world war III, and there is no draw.

So peace, that'd be great. If you want to pray for a rapid victory that not only makes the world safer for democracy, but safer for freedom of religion, then by all means. If you want to pray for the Lord to watch over and aid us as we vanquish these his enemies, then yes we can use your prayers. If you want to pray for the wisdom & guidance of our leaders, lord knows they need it. If you want to pray for the country to elect the right leaders in a couple years to best shape this world for God's will, then please do so.

For me personally, I got friends hurt & killed over there, and more there now, I have a moral obligation, a deep internal calling to get in the fight. The platform from which I do that is a choice based on making the largest impact on the battlespace (that doersn't involved running the airframe into it).

Sorry to drone off into politics, but these are troubled times we live in & a lot of people lose sight of the work that must be done or the costs that await not doing it. I firmly believe that today is the real greatest generation, for better or worse, and that the evil we face today is far worse & more important to the future of this world than the Nzis or anyone else in history. A lot of people don't see that, but that's what's going on & what I'm leaving to be part of, cause there's no other choice I could live with.

Chaplaindon

Dennis,

Please do not believe that I am suggesting placating anyone or that I in any way want "mostly peace" ... that seems quasi-oxymoronic ... like being mostly pregnant, or 85% guilty.

I am not suggesting such a thing. Nor have or will I. Such a reality would, in my mind, be an anathema to the ideal of a "just and lasting" --a Godly-- peace.

I do not want a broader and more dangerous regional conflict to occur within the middle/near east or anywhere else, for that matter. A unilateral pull-out would --speaking politically, here--  not be peace, it would be a disaster.

Sadly, that's likely the inevitable outcome (as soon as the 2008 presidential election is over). Politicians, seemingly, will not support prolonged conflicts --except between their parties. "Clean, little wars, only ... please."

Peace is not, nor in my lexicon has ever been, synonymous with the absence of conflict or warfare. Neville Chamberlain proved that point quite well; as did Woodrow Wilson's absurd "armed neutrality."

Peace is --in my lexicon (in the interest of religious pluralism and the likelihood of various views on this, readers of this are invited to chose a meaning of their choice)-- the "Kingdom of God," that which Jesus Christ --in His "Sermon on the Mount"-- instructed followers to pray for. "Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven" (Mttw. 6:10, NRSV). Hence as a Christian, I feel strongly compelled (e.g. "commanded") to pray for the coming of God's Kingdom and therein peace. To not do so, would be to effectively renounce my baptism, my ordination, my faith, and my God .

Jesus spoke of the Kingdom -- not of placation or "mostly peace." The "Sermon on the Mount" also records Jesus stating emphatically the importance (the "blessed[ness]") of peacemaking (Mttw. 5:9).

As a Christian clergyperson, I must faithfully do as my Lord tells me to do and live --insofar as possible-- as He would have me live (albeit as a sinner). Furthermore, I can find no legal-eagle-added "indemnification clause" in the Sermon excusing me from praying for the Kingdom (and hence, peace) nor from practicing the Beatitudes (Mttw. 5:3-11) 24/7, if possible.

I too have friends, and even parishioners "down-range" --or about to go.  I have at least one parishioner who doesn't want to return. One tour in Afghanistan was enough ... an Iraq tour less than a year later, is seen as too much. I too was angered by the tragedy of September 11, 2001 and the heinous scourge of global terror.

I want such horrors AND the horrors of war to end forever. Such is the Kingdom of God.

But, I am not a soldier. I am a cleric; a man under Holy orders. A man forbidden to bear arms in combat.

I must act as I see fit to bring about the world. You as a soldier must do likewise.

Regardless of our different viewpoints (whatever they may be) and life-paths/careers, know that you and all who, like you, are working for peace are in my prayers.

"Thy Kingdom come."

Be safe.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

G+10

Quote from: Psicorp on April 30, 2007, 03:28:38 PM
Congrats, DNall!

As cool a Apache's are, they're still helos and helos by definition, don't fly...they just beat the air into submission.

Good luck, and be safe!

Finally! Something to get me out of lurk mode! Bersmirching rotary wing flight! For shame...

Even as an Air Force helicopter pilot there was nothing I'd rather have flown in the inventory (well, maybe an SR-71 could have tempted me...)

Have fun at Ft. Rucker!

John Gniewkowski
Capt, CAP
Spirit of St. Louis Composit Squadron

DNall

Don, I wasn't challenging your words as much as pivoting off them to reinforce my motivations & draw attention to the lack of fortitude evident in the country & how deadly that is to us.

That kingdom by the way follows the legion of angels stepping into the conflegration. To pray for peace is to prepare for the coming of war, and when it gets here, you swing as hard as possible till total victory.

I like helos though. If I'd been an AF pilot I would have wanted A10s. I want to do more than guy with rifle, but be right there with the fangs hanging out & claws dug in taking it direct to the enemy over the top of people that need my support to stay alive. That's where I see myself at my best. Now if the Army will just be so kind as to agree for at least a couple more years then we'll be all set.

Major Carrales

OK...FOLKS, its been a while.  Any new Texas Wing Members "in the house?"

Also, although the Texas Wing Encampment was a bit wet, have we hany stories to relay from our cadets...

and Lastly...

Anyone involved in the recent flying in support of the relief effort en re the flooding?  What is the status of that...make sure it is info approved by the IO or IC.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 28, 2007, 04:55:34 PM

Also, although the Texas Wing Encampment was a bit wet, have we hany stories to relay from our cadets...

and Lastly...

Anyone involved in the recent flying in support of the relief effort en re the flooding?  What is the status of that...make sure it is info approved by the IO or IC.

Nada here, Maj. C. - all I've gotten so far is an e-mail from Lt Col Whisennand to stand by to get moving in case they ask for us. But I'll be outta town - Vegas, baby! - this weekend.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CFI_Ed

and Lastly...

Well - you guys are sending four flight instructors, 2 ground instructors, and 4 airplanes to help support the Oklahoma National Flight Academy - powered.  And I really do appreciate that.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Major Carrales

Quote from: CFI_Ed on June 28, 2007, 06:20:49 PM
Well - you guys are sending four flight instructors, 2 ground instructors, and 4 airplanes to help support the Oklahoma National Flight Academy - powered.  And I really do appreciate that.

Excellent!  Let us know how that goes?  Could You do a "Day-by-day" or week's recap for us?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CFI_Ed

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 28, 2007, 06:36:20 PM
Quote from: CFI_Ed on June 28, 2007, 06:20:49 PM

Excellent!  Let us know how that goes?  Could You do a "Day-by-day" or week's recap for us?
Great idea.  Either I or someone on the staff will do that every couple of days.  Especially on the days someone solos.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Major Carrales

Quote from: CFI_Ed on June 28, 2007, 07:12:32 PM
Great idea.  Either I or someone on the staff will do that every couple of days.  Especially on the days someone solos.

I believe that such a documentation is an important part of Public Affairs that some activities lack.  Sort of like keeping a "log."  In years past the Texas Wing Encampment has done that...it lets the loved ones and fellow Squadron Members 1) Keep tabs on their assassinate (especially if it is rich in photos) and 2) lets everyone see the sorts of thing that go on so that they can decide to go in subsequent years.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Anyone got Pics of the 2007 Wing Conference?

Please PM me, send them to me or post them.  How about Encampment pics?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jb512

and Lastly...

The encampment was a blast.  It was a little longer than I realized and the weather kept forcing us indoors, but I had a really good time.  Our group of TACOs was great, and I may plan on going to winter this year... still undecided.

The flooding thing is another issue though.  Apparently none of us in the actual area were called for any missions that I'm aware of.  Someone mentioned something about a plane out of Houston being called to fly up here at or around that time.  Our cadets did go out to Marble Falls though and assist with handing out supplies to the residents, so that was good.

jb512

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 10, 2007, 05:27:26 AM

If you do find out where the encampment pics ended up, could you let us know?  I haven't seen anything yet on texascadet.

Thanks!

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 16, 2007, 12:59:58 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 10, 2007, 05:27:26 AM

If you do find out where the encampment pics ended up, could you let us know?  I haven't seen anything yet on texascadet.

Thanks!

Lemme check with Maj Sutton tonight.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

TEXAS is GOING FORWARD with its Area Command SARex this weekend, but is preping for Tropical issues...

I have just spoken with Col Smith and we have decided to continue with the plans for the WAX this weekend.

We know the weather may not permit  the San Antonio and Houston ICPs or the Brownsville staging area to participate.  We felt that with having  the weather looking good at the Waxahatchie and AMA ICPs and the El Paso staging area, that we could still obtain good training, but with a reduced flying operation.

The Group CCs and their respective ICs and Staging Area Manager will have to make the weather decision for their respective areas of responsibility.

There is no training activity worth compromising safety for.

RANDY R. RUSSELL, Major, CAP
Deputy Director of Operations
Texas Wing, Civil Air Patrol

To All ES Qualified Members of Texas Wing:

The approaching storm, Tropical Storm Erin, could raise havoc with our sarex plans for this weekend.  There is a potential for heavy rain throughout the state, although there should not be damaging winds.  However, as we are all ready for the sarex anyway, even if the weather is bad I would like all of you to stand at the ready just in case we are called upon by the State to fly photo recon missions.

In that same light, I would like to ask all Squadron Commanders and/or ES officers with the equipment and capability to fly photo recon missions to email me with the readiness status of your cameras and equipment, aircraft, and personnel throughout this weekend.  Please copy Col. Joe Smith, Jack Jackson, Randy Russell, and Martin Padilla, email addresses above.

Looking ahead, a more significant storm, Hurricane Dean, is expected in perhaps 7-10 days.  It's anybody's guess what its track it will take, as it is still in the Eastern Caribbean, but we must be ready, and watch this storm carefully.  All Squadron Commanders who host aircraft along the coast, make plans to evacuate your aircraft.  All other Squadrons, be sure your equipment, aircraft, and personnel qualifications are ready.  We will watch this closely in the coming week.

We appreciate all of your efforts, preparation, and willingness to serve.

Rand Woodward, LtCol, CAP
Texas Wing Director of Operations

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jb512

I got those too.  Unfortunately our aircraft here in Georgetown is out of service for a GPS issue, I believe.

Major Carrales

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 17, 2007, 10:35:54 PM
I got those too.  Unfortunately our aircraft here in Georgetown is out of service for a GPS issue, I believe.

Lots of Wing Aircraft are in the shop...they are really putting consolidated maintenance to the test.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Waxahachie Mission Base (JWY) had plenty of practice sorties today, though I had to get up at o-dark-thirty to make an 0600 or so step time at ADS with the GA-8. Had to circle around the field a few times until the low-hanging crud and scud burned off enough to let us land.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

addo1

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 10:20:28 PM
OK TEXANS, who's going to the WING CONFERENCE in APRIL and where are we going to meet?

Texas Wing Conference
Austin-Bergstrom Airport Hilton,
Austin, TX
Lt Col N King
APR 13-15

OK, go ahead and laugh at me..... Now that your laugh is done, could somebody please tell me what the Texas Wing Conference is exactly??? (i'm pretty new)  ???
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010