Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

vesryn

So, at the recent 2014 NYWG Encampment, I was on Services. One day, the power in all of the Schenectady area went out. No power anywhere in the entire city, including the whole base where the encampment was. Because the base Services staff was having difficulties starting up the generator to run the two massive walk-in freezer/refrigerators that stored all of our food, lunch was delayed by an hour. It just so happens that while I was on my break, puttsing around, I found out that a person working in the Aeromed building (Where the death by powerpoints were held. It had an auditorium of sorts and offices for the people who actually worked there. Apparently, there were people working there and they brought their 3 month old puppy, Maggie, with them to work. You can see her from 8:43-8:46. Thats's just one great story.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

C/Wentler

So this summer at Camp Ripely I attended an Advanced Leadership Course, the first in the nation, at the 2014 MNWG Encampment. Probably the funniest moment was on the seventh day when we were changing from out BDUs to Blues when suddenly my friend got up from his bunk and started running up and down the bay while yelling. For about 10 seconds nobody could figure out what was wrong with him - until I noticed a Chief insignia stuck completely in his butt. Another good time was when we broke into small groups for some combat building clearing training with the SEALS we got to train with throughout the week. Our instructor decided to demonstrate how to properly kick in a door, when he kicked it so hard literally shattered and broke off a hinge. He looked at it, muttered "Oops", and told us "It's the the Army's problem now".
C/CMSgt Ethan Wentler, Alpha Flight Commander, MN-116

NC Hokie

Quote from: C/Wentler on August 23, 2014, 12:56:46 AM
Another good time was when we broke into small groups for some combat building clearing training with the SEALS we got to train with throughout the week. Our instructor decided to demonstrate how to properly kick in a door, when he kicked it so hard literally shattered and broke off a hinge. He looked at it, muttered "Oops", and told us "It's the the Army's problem now".

You guys need to get him one if these if he doesn't already have one:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/maledopanewi.html
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

CAP_truth

Cadet CoP
Wilson

lcaron24

It was our first night at encampment (MIWG Summer 2013). It was raining when we went to bed so we all slept good. It was about 11 at night and we hear everybody yelling, "In the bathroom, everybody in the bathroom". We have no idea what's going on. Some of us on the top bunks fell getting out of bed. The rain that came through earlier was part of a bigger, slower storm that had an embedded tornado in it. We didn't know this until the last night at the party that we had.

The next night we had a fire drill. We had just gone to bed. On the TAC officers radios we hear, "The meat is spicy, I repeat the meat is spicy!". The meat we had for dinner was spicy so I figure a cadet got a hold of a radio. WRONG!!!

lcaron24

Quote from: C/Wentler on August 23, 2014, 12:56:46 AM
Another good time was when we broke into small groups for some combat building clearing training with the SEALS we got to train with throughout the week. Our instructor decided to demonstrate how to properly kick in a door, when he kicked it so hard literally shattered and broke off a hinge. He looked at it, muttered "Oops", and told us "It's the the Army's problem now".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: lcaron24 on October 19, 2014, 10:53:15 PM
It was our first night at encampment (MIWG Summer 2013). It was raining when we went to bed so we all slept good. It was about 11 at night and we hear everybody yelling, "In the bathroom, everybody in the bathroom".

They actually called it a "bathroom?"

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Pulsar

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 03, 2014, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: lcaron24 on October 19, 2014, 10:53:15 PM
It was our first night at encampment (MIWG Summer 2013). It was raining when we went to bed so we all slept good. It was about 11 at night and we hear everybody yelling, "In the bathroom, everybody in the bathroom".

They actually called it a "bathroom?"

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

MSG Mac

If they called it a latrine, half the cadets would be wandering around asking "What's a Latrine"?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Huey Driver

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 04, 2014, 12:08:29 AM
If they called it a latrine, half the cadets would be wandering around asking "What's a Latrine"?

We do... and they do.  ::)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

a2capt

..and at the end of the day, that's pointless. Want to do something useful? Give some introduction to jargon, and concentrate on the real reason you're there, not play FMJ Ermey style.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on November 04, 2014, 06:14:41 AM
FMJ Ermey style.

I didn't realize that he was an actual DI (in a past life anyways) until I watched some BuzzFeed video from Facebook, nor that a pretty good chunk of his lines were ad-libbed.

Afbrat52

Does breaking one's collarbone on Tuesday and making it to Sunday count as an interesting story?  Fun week...

Eclipse

Quote from: Afbrat52 on January 21, 2015, 09:25:19 PM
Does breaking one's collarbone on Tuesday and making it to Sunday count as an interesting story?  Fun week...

Well, it constitutes a 78 and should have been a ride home, anyway...

"That Others May Zoom"

Afbrat52

It got the 78... But I didn't go home. Since the bone wasn't displaced, it was diagnosed by the med staff as a sprained shoulder. It took an x-ray for anyone (including our family doctor) to realize it was broken. But I had a great time, none the less.

Eclipse

Quote from: Afbrat52 on January 21, 2015, 11:27:45 PM
It got the 78... But I didn't go home. Since the bone wasn't displaced, it was diagnosed by the med staff as a sprained shoulder. It took an x-ray for anyone (including our family doctor) to realize it was broken. But I had a great time, none the less.

Wow - a text book example of "don't", literally.  Your example should be in the encampment manual.

You were one good trip and fall from becoming a case study in any number of areas.

Thankfully you are apparently OK, let those reading from this take a lesson.

"That Others May Zoom"

Afbrat52

Was diagnosed the wrong word?

Luis R. Ramos

I think Eclipse means they were not supposed to diagnose if they are not doctors.

Basically they were there to provide First Aid such as ice and immobilization, and recommend further action. The recommendation should have been, AFbrat needs to see a doctor. The doctor as a precaution would have asked for X-Rays. Just to rule out a fracture...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 22, 2015, 12:24:11 AM
I think Eclipse means they were not supposed to diagnose if they are not doctors.

Basically they were there to provide First Aid such as ice and immobilization, and recommend further action. The recommendation should have been, AFbrat needs to see a doctor. The doctor as a precaution would have asked for X-Rays. Just to rule out a fracture...

Correct - they aren't supposed to diagnose even if they are MDs - 911 or the nearest immediate care center.
The regs make that clear and the updated encampment guide makes it even more clear, assuming it's been read.

To punctuate the tale, their "diagnoses" was >wrong<, probably because they didn't have the appropriate equipment.
I don't know how old AFbrat is, but anyone with adolescent or pre-teen children knows how serious "minor"
injuries can be because of growth plates and related developmental problems.  BTDT.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Collarbones support the muscles that move the arms. And are in front of the lungs. Many complications can originate from that. What if there was a lung puncture? Since you were walking with a broken collarbone that complication could have happened any time in any activity. Orientation flight with a punctured lung? Major emergency as the air pressure differential could have affected your lung(s) would have deflated your lung(s) very quickly.

I am sure many, many others can point out other complications.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer