Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

SilentAntidote

Quote from: SpectreHog on May 08, 2014, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 08, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: SpectreHog on May 05, 2014, 01:04:50 AM
Encampment story from about a week ago...

So after lights out, a cadet was whistling and it was really bothering me. I decided to "sush" the cadet.

After the "sush," one of the senior members asked who it was. The cadet remained quiet and never fessed up.

At the second weekend, me and a few other cadets in my flight confronted the cadet about this. His reply is the funny part.

His reply:

"It was a ghost."

Airman Wilson, in the future, please upline these issues, not "confront", anyone. Charlie TAC Officer would have been a good place to start. Congrats on winning the drill comp by the way.

Sorry about that. Since we had our flight commander talk to him, we didn't feel it was necessary to jump the chain of command.

Thanks for the congrats Sir by the way.

Ah. I remember hearing about this. Alright, anyone else have any Spring Encampment 2014 Stories?

SilentPhantom

I went to encampment for an Honor Guard ATF (after my basic encampment, of course) and we had M1 Grands. So one morning at like 5:30, we're out marching to PT, it was still dark out and we were all wearing black with our rifles at port arms; one of the Cadet HG ATF COs walks up and says, 'You guys look like a Navy SEAL team." It doesn't really sound that funny in text, but at the time it was hilarious. Also, at my basic encampment, I heard a rumor that my Squadron CC's boxers got run up the flag pole; but then, I heard it in Med-Bay so it probably wasn't true...  ;D
C/2dLt

Luis R. Ramos

Heck, I am pretty sure that at 0530 after waking up anything would have sounded hilarious!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SilentPhantom

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 03, 2014, 07:48:23 PM
Heck, I am pretty sure that at 0530 after waking up anything would have sounded hilarious!

True lol  ;D
C/2dLt

MSG Mac

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2014, 08:19:30 AM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 01:03:27 AM
At my encampments we called the Saftey Staff Safety Nazis and picked on logistics and admin... I'm going to summer encampments and at one, the GFS's last name is Houston. When something goes wrong, I'm gonna shout, "Houston we have a problem!" :D counting the days still staff training starts.

What is a GFS?

Group First Sergeant a.k.a. Command Chief

CAP does not have a Cadet grade of Command Chief Master  Sergeant
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: SilentPhantom on June 03, 2014, 06:50:21 PM
I went to encampment for an Honor Guard ATF (after my basic encampment, of course) and we had M1 Grands Garand.

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 03, 2014, 08:28:30 PM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2014, 08:19:30 AM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 01:03:27 AM
At my encampments we called the Saftey Staff Safety Nazis and picked on logistics and admin... I'm going to summer encampments and at one, the GFS's last name is Houston. When something goes wrong, I'm gonna shout, "Houston we have a problem!" :D counting the days still staff training starts.

What is a GFS?

Group First Sergeant a.k.a. Command Chief

CAP does not have a Cadet grade of Command Chief Master  Sergeant

Nor does the AF. It's a position, not a grade. Only at the highest levels do the command E-9s get a little extra pay.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spartan

So no crap, there I am during a dress uniform inspection toward the end of my basic encampment. I had decided I wanted to look sharp recently and used shirt garters to keep my shirt tucked in better. When the encampment commander, a bear of a major came to ask me a question, the right front garter let go of my sock. There was a conspicuous "thwack" sound followed closely by a groan.  The commander says to me, "Cadet, did your shirt garter fail on you?" All I could muster was another groan.

The lesson of the story folks; make sure your shirt garters are secure on a part of your shirt that will not hurt if one let's go of your sock.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Spartan on July 28, 2014, 01:12:00 AM
So no crap, there I am during a dress uniform inspection toward the end of my basic encampment. I had decided I wanted to look sharp recently and used shirt garters to keep my shirt tucked in better. When the encampment commander, a bear of a major came to ask me a question, the right front garter let go of my sock. There was a conspicuous "thwack" sound followed closely by a groan.  The commander says to me, "Cadet, did your shirt garter fail on you?" All I could muster was another groan.

The lesson of the story folks; make sure your shirt garters are secure on a part of your shirt that will not hurt if one let's go of your sock.

That's why I only use the ones that go around the leg, and not attach to the sock.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: Spartan on July 28, 2014, 01:12:00 AMThe lesson of the story folks; make sure your shirt garters are secure on a part of your shirt that will not hurt if one let's go of your sock.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=325.msg4908#msg4908

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Not at an Encampment but at an Airshow...

At an airshow in 2000 or so, at Scotia or Schenectady NY a Naval Aviator wearing railroad tracks stepped out of an F-14. I address him as Captain. Twice. He corrects me nicely with "I am a Lieutenant."

:-[

This summer my squadron is meeting with another that meets at a US Marine Corps Reserve compound. As I was passing one Marine in a corridor last Saturday meeting he looks at my railroad tracks and addresses me as "Lieutenant." Payback time! But I did not have the heart to correct him...

::)
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: Spartan on July 28, 2014, 01:12:00 AM

No, the lesson is to wear the "Y" type that are on the outside of the leg. Nothing under tension anywhere near the crotch.
Safety First! >:D

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 28, 2014, 03:14:10 AM
Not at an Encampment but at an Airshow...

At an airshow in 2000 or so, at Scotia or Schenectady NY a Naval Aviator wearing railroad tracks stepped out of an F-14. I address him as Captain. Twice. He corrects me nicely with "I am a Lieutenant."

:-[

This summer my squadron is meeting with another that meets at a US Marine Corps Reserve compound. As I was passing one Marine in a corridor last Saturday meeting he looks at my railroad tracks and addresses me as "Lieutenant." Payback time! But I did not have the heart to correct him...

::)

You're lucky. The Marines I've encountered barely register our presence. At my last encampment, a group was walking past me and one glanced at me, gave me the " 'sup, brah?" head nod and kept walking.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

I guess so. Maybe the fact that another squadron meets on the compound.

The guard at the gate, sometimes in the car I show without the BDU blouse or hat but wearing the black shirt. Present my CAP ID and they let me pass without a salute.

The first day I was there this summer I showed up wearing the blouse, presented my CAP ID he asked "are all CAP personnel issued that ID?" I answered "yes," he saluted. Another time I was wearing my uniform waiting for the guard or OOD he arrived with his keys and saluted me...

But again when they salute me it may be because 1) we have another squadron and 2) there is also a detachment of Sea Cadets.
Squadron Safety Officer

Reader5567

I was at Tri-Wing Encampment 2014, and one cadet called the Chief "Chiefy", and the Chief thought I did it. Another cadet came out of the showers naked and instead of drying off, ran through the barracks naked.

C/CMSgt Thadeus Smith, First Sergeant, Peninsula Composite Squadron.

Luis R. Ramos

And...?

What happened in both events? You do not have a complete story...
Squadron Safety Officer

Reader5567

Sorry. I had to explain to the chief that it was not me in the first one.

The second guy didn't get in trouble, our line staff were laughing their heads off.

Luis R. Ramos

So in the second case it was like drying dishes, or sometimes laundry, air-dry only?
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 01:57:43 PMAnother cadet came out of the showers naked and instead of drying off, ran through the barracks naked.

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 07:29:17 PM
The second guy didn't get in trouble, our line staff were laughing their heads off.

For those scoring at home, and especially considering the new, more specific, and conservative Protection Policies,
this is the kind of "fun" that could result in x-members.

It's not even out of the question that behavior like this could get you, the staff involved, or even the entire >event<
kicked out of the facility you're using, maybe permanently.

I am not exaggerating.  I still have visions of a PO flying over a desk armed with
a BMT-Day 1-level "knock it off" when he caught sight of a cadet changing in the compartments - rule is no one is undressed
outside of the heads - even though this was an all-male compartment and he was just down to his shorts.

I have to sit down for a minute just >thinking< about what a Chief would do if he caught a cadet streaking through the bay.

"That Others May Zoom"

Reader5567

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 06, 2014, 07:46:57 PM
So in the second case it was like drying dishes, or sometimes laundry, air-dry only?

Yeah. Pretty much.