Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

PHall

Quote from: arajca on February 02, 2014, 11:56:48 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on February 02, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
I forget if I posted this already but here goes:

So one night during formation, one of the TACOs, an Army guy who'd just turned senior, runs through formation with a plastic iron-man mask on.  ;D ;D 8) 8) Later, he ran around the squadron building with it on. He also visted med-bay  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D
IIRC, after encampment, he was asked to not return until he matured.

He was allowed to stay the whole week?  :o

ol'fido

On a more serious note, that is one of the problems with many TACs. They are often given the duty as their first duty at encampment and too often they are not supervised properly or mentored in the job. Also, seniors who have just "come over to the dark side" after service as a cadet should not work with cadets directly for their first year or two after going over.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on February 03, 2014, 12:40:07 AM
Also, seniors who have just "come over to the dark side" after service as a cadet should not work with cadets directly for their first year or two after going over.

Maybe.        I've seen some who have had no problem with the transition and then there are others who will never make the transition from Cadet to Senior.
This is something that pretty much needs to be handled on a case by case basis.

It goes without saying that they should be supervised pretty heavy their first year at Encampment as a Senior.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: PHall on February 02, 2014, 11:59:53 PM
Quote from: arajca on February 02, 2014, 11:56:48 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on February 02, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
I forget if I posted this already but here goes:

So one night during formation, one of the TACOs, an Army guy who'd just turned senior, runs through formation with a plastic iron-man mask on.  ;D ;D 8) 8) Later, he ran around the squadron building with it on. He also visted med-bay  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D
IIRC, after encampment, he was asked to not return until he matured.

He was joking, and yes, he happened to be one of the best TACOs the encampment had
He was allowed to stay the whole week?  :o

SarDragon

^^^^

Any chance you can fix the quotes on this so we can se which part is really yours?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on February 03, 2014, 05:24:02 AM
^^^^

Any chance you can fix the quotes on this so we can se which part is really yours?

The line "He was joking...".

SarDragon

This is a teachable moment. you're spoiling it.  :(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Quote from: PHall on February 03, 2014, 03:05:50 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on February 03, 2014, 12:40:07 AM
Also, seniors who have just "come over to the dark side" after service as a cadet should not work with cadets directly for their first year or two after going over.

Maybe.        I've seen some who have had no problem with the transition and then there are others who will never make the transition from Cadet to Senior.
This is something that pretty much needs to be handled on a case by case basis.

It goes without saying that they should be supervised pretty heavy their first year at Encampment as a Senior.
Yes, and there will be exceptions to every rule and this rule is no exception. However, I have seen cadets who transitioned and would not have a problem working with cadets again immediately who imposed this rule on themselves because they understood why we did it in many cases and were good enough leaders to realize that they should set the example for their former peers who might not be ready to supervise cadets as a senior member.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: SarDragon on February 03, 2014, 05:24:02 AM
^^^^

Sorry, won't let me

blackbrandt

Funniest encampment story...

Florida 2013 summer encampment.  Sitting in one of the barracks, listening to a class.  I am sitting on the lower bunk of a bunk bed.  The 5 seconds after the class sounded like this.

Class Teacher: ...and that is all I have.
Me: ROOM TEN HUT!!
*BANG*

Everyone stares at the source of the bang.  Me.

That massive bang was me forgetting that I was on the bottom bunk...  And that bunks don't move for heads...

Naturally, the entire squadron burst out laughing...  I was fine...  It was a funny experience though...
C/MSgt Matt Fletcher

RALEIGH WAKE!!

THRAWN

Quote from: blackbrandt on May 01, 2014, 07:49:19 PM
Funniest encampment story...

Florida 2013 summer encampment.  Sitting in one of the barracks, listening to a class.  I am sitting on the lower bunk of a bunk bed.  The 5 seconds after the class sounded like this.

Class Teacher: ...and that is all I have.
Me: ROOM TEN HUT!!
*BANG*

Everyone stares at the source of the bang.  Me.

That massive bang was me forgetting that I was on the bottom bunk...  And that bunks don't move for heads...

Naturally, the entire squadron burst out laughing...  I was fine...  It was a funny experience though...

It did, apparently, impact your ability to spell sergeant correctly...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SpectreHog

Encampment story from about a week ago...

So after lights out, a cadet was whistling and it was really bothering me. I decided to "sush" the cadet.

After the "sush," one of the senior members asked who it was. The cadet remained quiet and never fessed up.

At the second weekend, me and a few other cadets in my flight confronted the cadet about this. His reply is the funny part.

His reply:

"It was a ghost."
C/Airman David Wilson

Mitchell 1969

As I browsed through some of these stories, a truism was definitely and clearly reinforced in my mind:

"You had to have been there."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SpectreHog on May 05, 2014, 01:04:50 AM

So after lights out, a cadet was whistling and it was really bothering me. I decided to "sush" the cadet.

After the "sush," one of the senior members asked who it was. The cadet remained quiet and never fessed up.

At the second weekend, me and a few other cadets in my flight confronted the cadet about this. His reply is the funny part.

His reply:

"It was a ghost."

Airman Wilson, in the future, please upline these issues, not "confront", anyone. Charlie TAC Officer would have been a good place to start. Congrats on winning the drill comp by the way.

SpectreHog

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 08, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: SpectreHog on May 05, 2014, 01:04:50 AM

His reply:

"It was a ghost."

Airman Wilson, in the future, please upline these issues, not "confront", anyone. Charlie TAC Officer would have been a good place to start. Congrats on winning the drill comp by the way.

Sorry about that. Since we had our flight commander talk to him, we didn't feel it was necessary to jump the chain of command.

Thanks for the congrats Sir by the way.
C/Airman David Wilson

SilentPhantom

At my encampments we called the Saftey Staff Safety Nazis and picked on logistics and admin... I'm going to summer encampments and at one, the GFS's last name is Houston. When something goes wrong, I'm gonna shout, "Houston we have a problem!" :D counting the days still staff training starts.
C/2dLt

SarDragon

It would do you well, to be more like your screen name - silent. "Houston we have a problem!" will wear out very quickly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 01:03:27 AM
At my encampments we called the Saftey Staff Safety Nazis and picked on logistics and admin... I'm going to summer encampments and at one, the GFS's last name is Houston. When something goes wrong, I'm gonna shout, "Houston we have a problem!" :D counting the days still staff training starts.

What is a GFS?

SilentPhantom

Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2014, 08:19:30 AM

What is a GFS?

Group First Sergeant a.k.a. Command Chief
C/2dLt

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2014, 08:19:30 AM

What is a GFS?

Group First Sergeant a.k.a. Command Chief

no AKA needed. Just Group First Sgt.