Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

AACS Cadet21

Ok here are some encampment stories from my encampments:

COWG 2013

So, at the beginning of the week , C/XO decides to promote a bright green teddy bear to the rank of C/Col. He literally stuck three diamonds into that bear and made cadets greet it. So, a cadet I know walks down a hallway in the barracks and the XO is standing there with the bear on his shoulder, of all places. She says, " Good Evening Sir." He gets slightly red in the face and, somehow managing to keep stait face, says "Cadet! Do you not see there is a C/Col here (points to the bear) why did you not greet him?!" The cadet manages to stammer out, "Good Evening Gentelmen" and keeps walking down the hallway wth the "WHAT THE H*** JUST HAPPENED?!" look on her face.  ;D ;D ;D ;D PAO staff even pics of the bear with the XO.

I'll start this one by saying that I was sick A LOT at encampment. Like, enough to have spent so much time in Med-Bay that by week's end, I knew the medics better than my own flight. Sweet memories.
My flight sergeant was by far the meanest person at the whole encampment, and the medics knew it. It was the middle of the week, I was lying in Medical with half a dozen ailments, and my FS walks in and tells the medics to make her tea. The C/NCIOC makes her tea. She takes it and leaves. Not 15 seconds later she's back complaining that it's too hot. CNCOIC puts cold water in it. Gives it back. (By this time he's pretty p***ed). She leaves and then comes saying that it's too cold. The cycle reapeats once more before the FS gives it to the CNCIOC and says she'll be back in a minute to pick it up. Well, partially out of anger and prtially to make me feel better, the C/NCOIC takes a salt shaker and holds it over the cup for a good 20 seconds. FS comes back, takes it. Leaves without tasting. She didn't come back to complain  >:D >:D ;D ;D :D ;D >:D >:D

Inside jokes of COWG 2013:

(Insert randon question here/) "That would be the KC-135 Sir!"
      The KC-135  (the universal answer to everything)
      What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but then, you don't know what makes you stronger until you're already dead.
      Chief Lemmon   (you really have to have been there to get it)

Inside jokes of KSWG 2013-2014

"Does this flag meet your standards most noble grand duke of awesomeness?"  (duke a.k.a. Honor Guard XO/armouer/first sergeant)
    Special snowflake!
    Would you like fries with that?
    Propoganda Chief
    That rifle is 10% of your body weight.

Stories from KSWG Encampment and Honor Guard ATF 2013-2014

I'm sitting on the van at he end of the week, waiting to leave for Colorado and there's a guy, from my home squadron, who starts talking about how IOs found boot knives in his combat boots during an inspection and how he had no [/dramticly/] idea how they got in there. You don't just 'not notice' knives in your boots! Anyways he started whining over how the encampment turned them over to the police dept. and how he wasn't getting them back....

I was in the HGATF and the C/HG Commander decides to do this thing called 'Morning Moto'. moto as in motovation. For future reference, the Lady Rebels are JROTC group; As part of our punishment for leaving our guideon, we had to watch their drill comp. video. It wasn''t 'bad' preformance-wise, they were coordinated and everything, it was their routine. We called it a 'stomp comp'. Our eyes were close to bleeding by the time the video ended. It you look up  Lady Rebels JROTC Drill Compition you should find the video. So anyways Moring Moto went like this:
"Good morning Honor Guard!" S
"Good morning Captain Smith"(name changed to protect privacy) C
"Honor!" S
"Makes the grass grow!" C
"Drill!" S
"Makes the blood flow!" C
"My guard!" S
"Your guard!" C
"Civil Air Patrol!" S
"Honor Guard!" C
"AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!" S
"AARRHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" C
"(Insert barbaric yell/scream here) !!!!!!!!" S
"(Insert LOUDER barbaric yell/scream here) !!!!!!!!!!!!" C
"We ain't logistics-Hooah?!" S
"HOOAH!" C
"We ain't Command staff-Hooah?!" S
"HOOAH!!!" C
"We ain't admin-Hooah?!" S
"HOOAH!" C
"We ain't basics-Hooah?!" S
"HOOAH!" C
"And we SURE ain't the Lady Rebels-HOOAH?!!!" S
"HOOOOAAHH!!!!!" S
"FALL OUT!" C
"DRILL!" S
;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

more to come

AACS Cadet21

Ok so I looked up the video and from youtube.com its Lady Rebels Unarmed Exihbition

Fubar

So...... not a lot of adult supervision at the COWG encampment?

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on January 15, 2014, 07:44:50 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 15, 2014, 03:34:06 AM
when it was finnally found the CS banned stealing lol...

As it should be.  The concept of guidon stealing and variations of it (e.g. cadet officer order a cadet to give him the guidon) are frankly pointless.  If a flight posts the guidon and leaves the area, then that is one thing.  However, when a guidon is posted, it is posted and should not need a "guard".

Steal a guidon at a CAWG Encampment and you will be on your way home by COB that day.

We have a zero tolerance policy for that kind of crap.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Fubar on January 16, 2014, 04:14:32 AM
So...... not a lot of adult supervision at the COWG encampment?

I didnt mean that. There is a lot of adult supervision.

AACS Cadet21

It was mainly staff stealing each other's guideons.

PA Guy

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 16, 2014, 04:20:59 PM

It is still a silly practice, especially if it is cadet staff.  Cadet staff constantly complain about not having enough training time yet they seem to have time for childish and silly games. What training goal does this accomplish? 

Panache

Quote from: PA Guy on January 16, 2014, 04:56:26 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 16, 2014, 04:20:59 PM
What training goal does this accomplish?

Tactical acquisition.

UH60guy

I was more concerned about the flight sergeant abusing the authority of her position for personal gain to order other cadets to make her tea. Seems harmless enough, but there's zero training value, has nothing to do with the position, and shows that she has a general sense of entitlement. I've always hated the saying "rank has it privelages" because that mentality only leads to trouble.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

If you're too sick at encampment to participate, you go home, not spend several days in the "Med-Bay".

Same goes for any other CAP activity.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: UH60guy on January 16, 2014, 06:33:01 PM
I was more concerned about the flight sergeant abusing the authority of her position for personal gain to order other cadets to make her tea. Seems harmless enough, but there's zero training value, has nothing to do with the position, and shows that she has a general sense of entitlement. I've always hated the saying "rank has it privelages" because that mentality only leads to trouble.

Young lady is lucky she didn't get ipecac in her tea or Ex-lax brownies.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 16, 2014, 07:39:31 PM

Young lady is lucky she didn't get ipecac in her tea or Ex-lax brownies.

>:D >:D >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TexasCadet

As it should be.  The concept of guidon stealing and variations of it (e.g. cadet officer order a cadet to give him the guidon) are frankly pointless.  If a flight posts the guidon and leaves the area, then that is one thing.  However, when a guidon is posted, it is posted and should not need a "guard".

One squadron at Texas Wing's Winter Encampment 2013 left their squadron guidon at their barracks while they were at the dining facility. It was stolen because they forgot it. The dining facility and the barracks were about a half-mile apart.

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 15, 2014, 09:41:52 PM
[cut]
Well, partially out of anger and prtially to make me feel better, the C/NCOIC takes a salt shaker and holds it over the cup for a good 20 seconds. FS comes back, takes it. Leaves without tasting. She didn't come back to complain  >:D >:D ;D ;D :D ;D >:D >:D
[/cut]

Isn't tampering with food illegal? I'm not saying the flight sergeant didn't deserve it, but maybe there was a better way to deal with the situation.

LSThiker

Quote from: TexasCadet on January 16, 2014, 10:01:30 PM

One squadron at Texas Wing's Winter Encampment 2013 left their squadron guidon at their barracks while they were at the dining facility. It was stolen because they forgot it. The dining facility and the barracks were about a half-mile apart.

Let me clarify one thing.  "Stealing guidons" regardless of the reason is stupid.  Grabbing the guidon because someone left it at a training site for the purpose of returning it to the chain of command for proper counseling (not running around yelling "I LOST THE GUIDON") is appropriate.  Or better yet, do the right thing and give it back to the flight's TAC officer to handle.  Leaving the guidon at the barracks is a proper method of securing the guidon since there is not exactly a "squadron area" to post the guidon all day.

I understand how fun it can be "stealing guidons" and having cadets running around yelling "I LOST THE GUIDON".  I had a bad mentor when I was a cadet and made a lot of stupid mistakes.  I have since corrected myself.  Passing on the knowledge and life lesson, the concept of it is simply just pointless and provides has no training objectives.

AACS Cadet21

She left CAP anyways, so it'd not really a big deal anymore....

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2014, 06:37:56 PM
If you're too sick at encampment to participate, you go home, not spend several days in the "Med-Bay".

Same goes for any other CAP activity.

Overnight once and few hours on different days.... In my opinion that's not enough to go back...

AACS Cadet21

[cut]
Well, partially out of anger and prtially to make me feel better, the C/NCOIC takes a salt shaker and holds it over the cup for a good 20 seconds. FS comes back, takes it. Leaves without tasting. She didn't come back to complain  >:D >:D ;D ;D :D ;D >:D >:D
[/cut]

Isn't tampering with food illegal? I'm not saying the flight sergeant didn't deserve it, but maybe there was a better way to deal with the situation.

You're probably right, but it's water under the bridge now.

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 17, 2014, 12:41:52 AM
Overnight once and few hours on different days.... In my opinion that's not enough to go back...

Even the few hours is probably more then it should be, there isn't even supposed to be a "Med Bay".

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Ok here are some encampment stories from my encampments:

COWG 2013

So, at the beginning of the week , C/XO decides to promote a bright green teddy bear to the rank of C/Col. He literally stuck three diamonds into that bear and made cadets greet it.

They made an 11-year old the C/XO?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Panache

I doubt that dumping table salt, a food item, into somebody's tea is "illegal".