Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Extremepredjudice

What day was this? I never heard about this...  ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

C/Haughey

Sir, (not seeing any info in your sig, assuming you're a "sir") as a basic, they get mixed up.
C/2nd Lt Haughey
Cadet Commander, 089th MACS

C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Cadet Commander, FL-20056

SarDragon

Extremeprejudice is not a sir.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: C/Haughey on July 06, 2012, 03:13:42 AM
Sir, (not seeing any info in your sig, assuming you're a "sir") as a basic, they get mixed up.
That was my basic encampment...  :D

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2012, 03:45:16 AM
Extremeprejudice is not a sir.
I will [hopefully...  ::)] be one by the time winter rolls around.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

MSG Mac

Almost as stupid as seeing several Navy Officers trying to coax a gator out of the water at NAS Jax.
Quote from: C/Haughey on July 06, 2012, 01:12:27 AM
This one time, at encampment... :P

A C/Officer saw a Florida Panther and decided to chase it!!     Best safety briefing I've ever heard the next morning  ;D

FLWG Winter Encampment, 2011-12
Foxtrot Flight Guidon
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 06, 2012, 02:26:24 PM
Almost as stupid as seeing several Navy Officers trying to coax a gator out of the water at NAS Jax.

A C/Officer saw a Florida Panther and decided to chase it!!     Best safety briefing I've ever heard the next morning  ;D

Foxtrot Flight Guidon

Meh. Little gators are fun. We had in the lake behind work (Jax), and we'd mess with it. It like most of the food we threw out at it, but did NOT like banana peels. The animal control folks came out after a couple of days and took it away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/Haughey

Better safe than sorry when it comes to using the "sir" title  ;D

And it was about half way through... You could have had morning KP.

And, alas, there will be no encampment stories coming from me this summer. :(
C/2nd Lt Haughey
Cadet Commander, 089th MACS

C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Cadet Commander, FL-20056

Extremepredjudice

Ahh, we did have morning KP midway through.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

MSG Mac

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2012, 06:23:22 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on July 06, 2012, 02:26:24 PM

Foxtrot Flight Guidon

Meh. Little gators are fun. We had in the lake behind work (Jax), and we'd mess with it. It like most of the food we threw out at it, but did NOT like banana peels. The animal control folks came out after a couple of days and took it away.

The junior bird(brain)men stopped when I volunteered to make witness statements for their Line of Duty investigations.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CadetColonelToBe

I went to encampment as a basic with my brother who was on staff this year. It was the last day of encampment. We were leaving for pass and review, my buddy was moving really slow. When they were finally done. I apparently was moving too fast out the door for them to see where I was going. Cause I had to go back and look for them. I found them looking for me thinking she left me in the barracks... that's not the worst part I found my flight lining up to get in vans to leave. I end up being second to last person in line, then they only had room for one more person... they gave it to the person behind me cause apparently he was on color guard and more important than me. I ended up riding in a van with staff and my brother was sitting in front of me. Everyone behind him (besides me cause I was a basic) was poking him and he kept blaming me.  >:(
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

Danger

I have a funny story,

Day 7, final inspection prep is over. And we're lining up at the bunks, about to stand at parade rest and read SOPs until the inspection team comes in. As they tell us to do that, we all do. The cadet next to me put his flight cap on BACKWARDS.

Unfortunate for him, but it was pretty funny. Luckily our flight commander gave us 10sec to make sure covers were worn properly before the inspection.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Garibaldi

My first encampment as a TAC officer at Volk ANGB, Wisconsin, 1994. We were shaking down the cadet staff prior to the arrival of the corps. We'd found some semi-illegal items like a 8-cell Maglite and various other items that could be used as implements of destruction, when we came across a pair of stiff-looking BDU pants. I pulled them out and out fell a large Super Soaker. I looked at the cadet, he looked at me. I shook my head and kept going.
After I finished, I met up with another TAC and told him what I found. He said "Give it here," and we went to see the commander. He held it behind his back and said "We got a problem. LT Estes found a gun in one of the cadet's bags."
The commander turned white as a sheet. The TAC whipped the soaker from behind his back and the commander went under the desk, while the rest of the room started cackling. Later, this same commander almost had a heart attack after we visited a bombing range. The TAC asked one of the range instructors if he could have one of the blue practice bombs that were laying around the field. The RSI said sure, let me make sure this thing ain't gonna go off, and tossed it up in the air and let it hit the ground. The TAC wanted to give it as a present to the commander and from what I heard, when it was presented, the commander did another duck and cover when the TAC threw it at him. I don't think the commander stayed in CAP for much longer...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 19, 2012, 09:55:45 PM
After I finished, I met up with another TAC and told him what I found. He said "Give it here," and we went to see the commander. He held it behind his back and said "We got a problem. LT Estes found a gun in one of the cadet's bags."
The commander turned white as a sheet. The TAC whipped the soaker from behind his back and the commander went under the desk, while the rest of the room started cackling.

Seen a similar incident, except it was a ziplock of Goldbond.  >:D :angel:

Mavvrikk

Me being me, I have a terrible problem with forgetting things, first day I lost my SOP twice, left my cap in the barracks Etc. It was the same for the next few days. And they threatened to para cord my cover to my BDU's. I forgot my cover one more time. Got motivational pt, a good yelling and it was over. My flight went back to the barracks, I walked to my bunk. The room was called to attention suddenly. Down walks the Squadron Commander, straight to my bunk...... holding a duct tape purse. I immediately knew it was for me. I was required to march with it, do inspection with it, I even had to post it. XD I never forgot another thing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mavvrikk on July 22, 2012, 02:12:32 AM
Me being me, I have a terrible problem with forgetting things, first day I lost my SOP twice, left my cap in the barracks Etc. It was the same for the next few days. And they threatened to para cord my cover to my BDU's. I forgot my cover one more time. Got motivational pt, a good yelling and it was over. My flight went back to the barracks, I walked to my bunk. The room was called to attention suddenly. Down walks the Squadron Commander, straight to my bunk...... holding a duct tape purse. I immediately knew it was for me. I was required to march with it, do inspection with it, I even had to post it. XD I never forgot another thing.
\

Sounds like your staff didn't pay much attention at RST...

Mavvrikk

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2012, 03:51:57 AM

What do you mean?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mavvrikk on July 22, 2012, 03:52:33 AM

What do you mean?

Motivational PT, A good yelling, and duct tape purse are something forbidden and covered at Required Staff Training.

Garibaldi

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2012, 04:00:07 AM
Quote from: Mavvrikk on July 22, 2012, 03:52:33 AM

What do you mean?

Motivational PT, A good yelling, and duct tape purse are something forbidden and covered at Required Staff Training.

better than the pink boot we had to carry...it started in our squadron (late 70s, early 80s) for the squad that got the most demerits in a month. We had to carry it EVERYWHERE we went except Wing activities. Then, someone got wise and started the tradition (which didn't last long) at encampment for the worst flight. They had to tie it to their guidon for the day. I forget what the circumstances were regarding its demise in both the squadron and encampment but I have a feeling someone's little feelers got hurt and said something to someone, who told two friends, who told two friends and so on and so on...

Any sort of "motivational" or "corrective" activities such as extra PT or yelling or such is considered hazing and is against CPPT. I just received an email from the encampment commander saying that the demerit slips we used to use were forbidden from now on. Seems that any sort of singling out for punishment or correction is becoming verboten nowadays.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Mavvrikk

I didn't care, I needed to work on my pushups. Haha. And I totally deserved it, it made a good laugh too. I think personally they're going a bit overboard with that whole thing, there's a line between discipline and hazing, that was discipline, it was done to help me remember things.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mavvrikk on July 22, 2012, 05:22:43 AM
I didn't care, I needed to work on my pushups. Haha. And I totally deserved it, it made a good laugh too. I think personally they're going a bit overboard with that whole thing, there's a line between discipline and hazing, that was discipline, it was done to help me remember things.

How does carrying a duct-tape purse, getting yelled at, or doing pushups help you remember things? It doesn't. It instills a fear of doing wrong, and is thus hazing.