Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

ol'fido

That might have been it, but he's usually on a Walmart run about that time. They know him on a first name basis at the Walmart on Dirksen Parkway.  ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Starlock

Quote from: ol'fido on May 07, 2011, 02:35:05 AM
That was probably Ted Lohr's Suburban. I was at the encampment and that's the only vehicle that comes close to matching his description and it don't have wifi.

Yes, it was Lt. Col. Lohr's. I said wi-fi because I believe the two out here have air cards/routers.

MCRmy

One of my favorite encampment moments: A cadet had a stuffed animal dog ??? and we had confiscated it at the beginning of encampment. As first Sergeant it was my job to wake up the cadets. It was Graduation Day of MAWG 2010. I went into the middle of the room and using the dog as a puppet said: "Bow Wow says its time to get up Cadets and that there's no PT this morning. Yayyy! Bow Wow also says that you need to clean the bay, pack your bags, and prep your luggage. Yayyy!"
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment

Flyinsarge

When my flight sergeant was mad at us for something (I forget what) and he yelled that he would burn us if we didn't do "it" right that time.

sneakers

My favorite memory is when C/LtCol CC at my basic encampment was leading the white glove inspection in my barracks. He makes a remark about how dusty it is, then... "achoo, achoo". It was hilarious, yet I managed to keep a straight face even though it happened right in front of me.

Pt is also a proud memory. My squadron consisted of two flights, so around 30 cadets. Out of these, 3 or 4 had pulled hamstrings, a number were vomiting, and about half the squadron had to fall out because the pt was so intense. I managed to stay in. No other squadron at the encampment could match us for pt. We won the pt award hands down at the end of the week.

Eagle

At my encampment, a couple of guys from my flight were on CQ, on the last night of Encampment, and this staff member just walks right by them wearing his pants on his head and his blouse as pants. Hilarious. Can't wait till I go back and staff XD
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Nighthawk

when i was at encampment and on CQ, i was pretty tired because i didn't sleep well for the whole week. To my credit, i stayed awake, but there was this black cat that came up to the barracks door and stared at me from about 5 feet away for about 10-15 minutes. since i was so tired, i didn't have a clue what was happening, i just though a random shadow had walked over and stared at me.
then, another night, one of the cadet staff was coming down the stars in his boxers and sleepshirt, muttering about something. with his eyes closed, he descended the stars, went into the bathroom, walked in a large circle, ascended the stars and then went back into his room. asleep the entire time.
Daniel Ernandes, C/A1C, CAP
MER-NC-150

Good leaders are an endangered species.
When arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.
Just because you have always been doing it that way doesn't mean it isn't incredibly stupid....

DakRadz

Quote from: Nighthawk on July 25, 2011, 02:56:21 AM
when i was at encampment and on CQ, i was pretty tired because i didn't sleep well for the whole week. To my credit, i stayed awake, but there was this black cat that came up to the barracks door and stared at me from about 5 feet away for about 10-15 minutes. since i was so tired, i didn't have a clue what was happening, i just though a random shadow had walked over and stared at me.
then, another night, one of the cadet staff was coming down the stars in his boxers and sleepshirt, muttering about something. with his eyes closed, he descended the stars, went into the bathroom, walked in a large circle, ascended the stars and then went back into his room. asleep the entire time.

More sleep, cadet. If you saw him ascend the stars, I'd like to know what other hallucinations you had.
;D ;D
I'm kidding, nice story- sleepwalkers are always fun.

SarDragon

Quote from: DakRadz on July 26, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

More sleep, cadet. If you saw him ascend the stars, I'd like to know what other hallucinations you had.
;D ;D

Cues Stairway to Heaven8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on July 26, 2011, 02:10:19 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on July 26, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

;D ;D

Cues Stairway to Heaven8)

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

M.N.

Quote from: Eagle on July 12, 2011, 07:10:51 PM
At my encampment, a couple of guys from my flight were on CQ, on the last night of Encampment, and this staff member just walks right by them wearing his pants on his head and his blouse as pants. Hilarious. Can't wait till I go back and staff XD
I had a similar thing happen when I was on CQ. After I returned with my replacements, I found a SM wearing a elephant-esque gas mask while at the same time hauling around a cadet staff member in a trash bin. Of course, my sleep deprivation made me perceive it like this:

OkinawaLt

I belong to the Okinawa Cadet Squadron on Kadena USAF Base, Okinawa, Japan. The squadron was only restarted after a long administrative hiatus about a year ago. Because of the new newness of the squadron the cadets that we absorbed started out on the bottom of the rank spectrum. I, a C/2Lt, had to fill every cadet staff role.
We (the senior staff and I) decided to set up an Encampment in the Winter (as opposed to the summer which in Okinawa every day is black flag) so that the new cadets could learn some of the basic skills necessary to be successful in the cadet program. Fortunately (a real godsend) two cadets from Georgia wing volunteered to be cadet staff along with me and paid the expensive price to take the flight over here.
Once the encampment rolled around, however, I realized that in telling my cadets all of the good things about encampment I had neglected to tell the bad stuff. They had no idea what it was actually supposed to be like. They arrived the day after Christmas and were immediately shocked to find myself and my cadet staff (whom they had never met) yelling at them. In a slightly twisted way it was funny to see their confusion. For one cadet it was his first CAP related anything as a member (due to a strange quirk in the regs regarding Overseas squadrons cadets did not have to reach the minimum of cadet Airman before attending an encampment) and he had missed the email about showing up in uniform. The C/CMSgt from Georgia proceeded to tear him up over that and ordered him to quickly put on his uniform before checking in.
In total we had six basic cadets, three cadet staff, and an ever-changing group of senior staff. Together we could see everything the basics did wrong. By the end of the first day all the basics (the oldest being 15, the youngest 11) were huddled in on room together crying.
Despite all that the cadets did learn surprisingly quickly considering they knew next to nothing when they arrived. We had relatively few discipline issues and the cadets worked well as a team. I felt proud of all of them when I got to shake their hands and give them there Encampment Ribbons during graduation.

Well, that's the story of my quirky Okinawan Encampment as staff. I hope you enjoyed it.

Skydude61

Here's the best from my basic year, last week.

1.  Our flight's Lt. Was somewhat "skittish" and was rarely with us the entire week. the last day, he came over to our barracks to talk to us and give us a pep talk. nine guys from my flight pantsed themselves, and then group hugged him. needless to say, we scared him off

2. memorable quotes :
                         Alpha's Flight Commander: "dude, my CamelBak just tried to eat my Tongue"
                         Mess Sgt. : "If you don't like my food go eat in the other mess hall". (our camp only has one mess hall)
                         Golf Flight Sgt. : "APOLOGIZE TO MY SPOON FOR CALLING ME ..... " (substitute whatever insult you will for .....)

3. CQ. Our Mess sgt. Cape up to us to us and chatted at us for a while then said, "I need some air". we then took his Id#, and other info neccessary. He then stepped outside, and propmptly returned. "wait, you guys are really gonna question me again?'' he refused to show us ID, and then had to walk aroud the barracks to the other side to get in

4. A Lt. Col walked into the Latrine, and it was called to attention. the first sgt. was displeased at the lack of snapping to attn. so he yelled at us "Crap At Attention!!!!!"

5. One Cadet from Delta flight did 120 push ups. we were all waiting on him to finish, after we did 30 or 40.

Finally, Funny formation. this was where the Sqdrn commanders yelled at us, and then the rest of the staff came running out of the barracks like complete morons. they had things like dart guns, lightsabers and clone trooper helmets.

Fun stuff.......

Майор Хаткевич

Encampment 2006 Quotes/Inside Jokes:

*Looks at the chart that says "Profanity is not quality leadership"* "What the F$&% is this s%&t?"

"Awkward"
"Hey, it doesn't feel like encampment"
"It's not cheating if you are setting the example"
"Forget 'raising the bar' it's 'Raising the standards to our expectations' "
"ah...what's my job again?"
"Home sweet home"
"I don't want to leave"
"I want to be an RDC"
"Pimp Step Harch is so pimp"
"I got these for 20 bucks! No tax!"
"they have big cans of shoe polish here!"
" 'what about hawk mountain shir...' *Death Glare to Cadet* 'We don't talk about Hawk Mountain at my encampment...' "
"67.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!"
"Code Blue"......"Stay Seated!"
____________________​____________________​__
Encampment 2007 Quotes/Inside Jokes:

The String
The Binder
The Battery
The Penny
"Ow, my eye!"
"Ow, my nose!"
"What size do you need? Um, Elephant 1?"
"We funded the Encampment with this stuff!"
"You got Screwed!"
"You got double screwed!"
"Now lets not let this become a triple screw."
"Support staff, can you tone it down a bit? You workin' too good. Showing everyone else up..."
"Johnny Jihad"
"What makes the grass grow? Blood Blood Blood"
"Aghhhhh!"
"What is the buttstock used for? Bashing Brains, Petty Officer!"
"SALUDE"

If those don't make sense to outsiders, it's because you really had to be there.

titanII

At my Basic Encampment, this summer:
         My first night on CQ, I had stopped at the end of the bay, and was standing there for a while. Then, a small wood frog hops from around the corner. The frog took a few more hops, and then stopped in the middle of a doorway. I called my flight mate, who was also on CQ duty over. He just looked at the frog, back at me, and laughed. It just stayed their for the rest of my shift. The next morning, I found out that almost all the cadets that also had CQ that night saw the frog. The frog was also seen on other nights for the rest of Encampment.
I always wondered wear that little guy came from...     ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

mrcadet

one time myself and another cadet from my flight were walking to the buffalo to fill up on water, when we walk by the bathroom he all of a sudden says oh wait I need to wash out my camelback and i replied oh did it mildew over night? He says no i didn't want to wake up the flight sergeant so i took a pee in it!  xD     

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: cadet_kovacs on April 30, 2012, 12:54:39 PM
one time myself and another cadet from my flight were walking to the buffalo to fill up on water, when we walk by the bathroom he all of a sudden says oh wait I need to wash out my camelback and i replied oh did it mildew over night? He says no i didn't want to wake up the flight sergeant so i took a pee in it!  xD   

HA!!! Again... CANTEENS!

mrcadet

One time at encampment the encampment commander said hey guys we had a cadet that saw a panther and started chasing it... don't do that.

MilitaryGirlClair

I went to Camp Pendleton in CA 2010. I was a basic. I don't know how they let me in. There was two girl flights Foxtrot and Charlie. I was in Foxtrot. I am not bragging, but at the end, I had guys cutting in to dance with me. I didn't mind of course, I was 12, too young to understand. But so I was getting my groove on when someone pushes me in the middle :-[ They kept yelling at me to dance and crud like that, I finally pushed my way out, and then some officer puts a small cadet on his shoulder and spins. ORM people! He got yelled at, and they both looked really embaressed. Pretty funny!
      Also my frined X (to protect the name) had a crush on the cadet commander. At the dance she danced with him and would not stop talking about him!
      My most fave memory EVER was a girl named Conception. She had such a beautiful voice. About the 5th night there, she sang a song for Foxtrot. Nonetheless, EVERYONE was crying, even the flight commander and flight sergeant. I wish I could relive that encampment! :P
Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars:)

Brad

Parris Island. 'nuff said. Too many stories to count.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN