Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

mclarke

Quote from: nesagsar on March 29, 2008, 01:35:51 PM
I remember a encampment flight sergeant that caught everyones attention with his boots. The dumb kid brought Clorfam combat boots. We never did find out how he got them or why he brought them to encampment but he caught **** for it all weekend.

Galls.com has them... I am getting a pair for parades...

mclarke

My understanding is it has a lot to do with pride, and yes, honor. UNLESS the guidon is posted somewhere requiring all members to be inside or otherwise engaged, it should have a guard. This teaches accountability, integrity, duty, attention to detail, and discipline.

In the event it is left alone (say, outside the barracks when all members are away doing drill some otherside of the base), then I would encourage taking it. HOWEVER, I feel that it is only fair and honest to give it back upon there return.

Kind of more of a lesson learned in "Our gear is important, safeguard it and treat it as you would your own stuff at home". I think the only problem is ensuring that the TACs and other staff make sure noone goes stealing on purpose.

Quote from: Slim on January 24, 2011, 08:58:40 PM
How exactly does guidon stealing contribute to the objectives (the "mission"-if you will) of an encampment?

How about those core values, like integrity?  Or, since a lot of places are obsessed with preaching the honor code ripped off from USAFA: "We will not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate among us those who do."  On the one hand, you're telling cadets that they can't steal.  On the other, you have some staff member (cadet or senior) who is so focused on stealing that they can't concentrate on performing their job?

We used to allow it, until it got out of control.  Cadets sleeping with their guidon, showering with it, swinging it like a baseball bat, posting a guard on it outside the DFAC or classroom.  One year, one flight commander got the bright idea to set up a separate schedule so that there was always one cadet in the flight who was awake to guard it at night. 

On the other hand, if zulu flight is 100 yards outbound from the DFAC, and their guidon isn't, it would behoove someone to recover it before it disappears.  But actually going out of your way to steal it?  Nope, don't have the time for it.  There are enough new experiences and stressors involved in an encampment that this doesn't need to be another one.

SarDragon

Quote from: mclarke on April 18, 2011, 10:05:27 PM
I remember a encampment flight sergeant that caught everyones attention with his boots. The dumb kid brought Clorfam combat boots. We never did find out how he got them or why he brought them to encampment but he caught **** for it all weekend.

I recommend not doing so. Your feet and your wallet will both love you later.

Corfam (note spelling) boots are hot, and do not "break in" as well or quickly as leather boots. Additionally, a parade is one of the easiest venues for screwing up your fantastic shine, outside of being out in the field doing ES stuff.

BTDT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mclarke

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2011, 03:20:36 AM

Corfam (note spelling) boots are hot, and do not "break in" as well or quickly as leather boots. Additionally, a parade is one of the easiest venues for screwing up your fantastic shine, outside of being out in the field doing ES stuff.

BTDT.

I know. I am getting both regular (jungle black/black) for field and the clorfam ones for  events... there not gonna be something I wear all the time

PA Guy

They look tacky.  YMMV

SarDragon

Quote from: mclarke on April 19, 2011, 03:28:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2011, 03:20:36 AM

BTDT.

I know. I am getting both regular (jungle black/black) for field and the clorfam ones for  events... there not gonna be something I wear all the time

Well, it's your feet, and your money.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPC/officer125

At KSWG Encampments, guidon stealing has been outlawed. The only way a guidon can get "snatched" is if it is left by the flight and they don't realize it, a command staff member or senior may grab it up and take it back to Wing HQ (our encampments are at Wing HQ), to sit in the encampment commander's office. It is up to the encampment commander how the flight will get their guidon back. Over the past couple couple years, they have required a letter written by the flight asking for it back and a little bit of groveling. We have also done away with singing to get misplaced items back.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Rogovin

Well, this story isnt about encampment, but it is of the same brand.  At the Norwich University Future Leader's Camp (NU FLC) we take a 3-day 2-night bivouac.  "Combat showers" (baby wipe wipedowns), burying *ahem* waste, MRE's, cooking your own dinner over a fire, building hooches, other woodland survival skills.  Well, a dear friend of mine (and everyone else at FLC) was one of the participants.  So he goes to do his business, and realizing he forgot his toilet paper, he uses leaves from a nearby vine, and wipes himself.  Later that day, he took the class on how to ID plants in the Vermont woodlands.  He then realizes he wiped himself with poison ivy, and very shortly we hear he went back to the barracks to get treated for poison ivy.  I talked to him recently, and he described the treatment with words that are unfit to repeat here (and he wasn't cursing, it was was just GROSS, and a bad analogy).  He recently visited Norwich University (he wants to go to college there), and the 1SGT, who was the ROTC cadet in charge of the FLC program, is now the Cadet in charge of the Brigade at Norwich.  He sees the friend, and in front of the whole rook class (aka freshmen aka plebes) leaving the rooks thinking "who the hell is this guy and why is the toughest guy we know HUGGING him?"

-Rogovin

Starlock

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on April 19, 2011, 10:19:58 PM
At KSWG Encampments, guidon stealing has been outlawed. The only way a guidon can get "snatched" is if it is left by the flight and they don't realize it, a command staff member or senior may grab it up and take it back to Wing HQ (our encampments are at Wing HQ), to sit in the encampment commander's office. It is up to the encampment commander how the flight will get their guidon back. Over the past couple couple years, they have required a letter written by the flight asking for it back and a little bit of groveling. We have also done away with singing to get misplaced items back.

A certain 2Lt Roarty told me about this  ;D I think we should do this at MOWG's CTGs as well.

As for an encampment story...

At ILWG 2010 the ATS (Advanced Training School) had a nighttime tactical water balloon fight in the "back yard" of the Illinois Military Academy. Basically if you marched down a half mile long road leading off the drill pad, you'd go over a creek and the road led to a simulated firing range. The event was ATS vs Encampment Senior staff. We took all sorts of pre-measures like turning our blouses inside out to blend us with the grass better (all 10 acres of flat green grass) and a couple of senior members used vehicles (one was the "SARMobile" and the other was an Illinois State Trooper Impala) to patrol for us ATS. About an hour into creeping my way over the grass with another cadet, dodging the spotlights from vehicles and foot patrols, I got up and tried to cross the bridge. Bad mistake. I jumped over the concrete wall and dove into a ditch and one of the seniors spotted me and shouted for others to hit me with water balloons. Granted, I had another 300 yards to run and I decided to [try to] sprint. A second after someone shouted "Run Forrest run!" my boot got stuck under some vine (?) and I tripped. Into a ditch. And nearly broke my nose.
The end!

davidsinn

Quote from: Starlock on May 03, 2011, 06:13:29 PM

A certain 2Lt Roarty told me about this  ;D I think we should do this at MOWG's CTGs as well.

At ILWG 2010 the ATS (Advanced Training School) had a nighttime tactical water balloon fight in the "back yard" of the Illinois Military Academy. Basically if you marched down a half mile long road leading off the drill pad, you'd go over a creek and the road led to a simulated firing range. The event was ATS vs Encampment Senior staff. We took all sorts of pre-measures like turning our blouses inside out to blend us with the grass better (all 10 acres of flat green grass) and a couple of senior members used vehicles (one was the "SARMobile" and the other was an Illinois State Trooper Impala) to patrol for us ATS. About an hour into creeping my way over the grass with another cadet, dodging the spotlights from vehicles and foot patrols, I got up and tried to cross the bridge. Bad mistake. I jumped over the concrete wall and dove into a ditch and one of the seniors spotted me and shouted for others to hit me with water balloons. Granted, I had another 300 yards to run and I decided to [try to] sprint. A second after someone shouted "Run Forrest run!" my boot got stuck under some vine (?) and I tripped. Into a ditch. And nearly broke my nose.
The end!

That sounds like a lot of fun. I can't believe the safety Nazis let you do it. >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: davidsinn on May 03, 2011, 06:34:57 PM
Quote from: Starlock on May 03, 2011, 06:13:29 PM

The end!

That sounds like a lot of fun. I can't believe the safety Nazis let you do it. >:D
Sounds like a good 5th weekend activity.

I can't believe ISP let them use their Impala ;D.

By the way, what is the SARmobile?

Starlock

That and the entire week was awesome! Minus the bloody nose and the bandaging from when I tried to dodge a Nissan on my bike the week prior. I was the medical officer's "favorite cadet".

Spaceman, the SARmobile is basically a decomm ambulance with all of its EMT equipment ripped out and replaced with everything a mobile mission command center would need, from MREs to First Aid kits to a couple L-Pers and its own wi-fi network. Seriously. It has wi-fi.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Starlock on May 03, 2011, 06:38:06 PM
That and the entire week was awesome! Minus the bloody nose and the bandaging from when I tried to dodge a Nissan on my bike the week prior. I was the medical officer's "favorite cadet".

Spaceman, the SARmobile is basically a decomm ambulance with all of its EMT equipment ripped out and replaced with everything a mobile mission command center would need, from MREs to First Aid kits to a couple L-Pers and its own wi-fi network. Seriously. It has wi-fi.

Oh, cool. I wonder if it's a CAP asset or someone's baby...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Starlock

A bit like that! It was an ILWG vehicle though.
I'm actually in one of two MOWG squadrons to have "SARmobiles", and our squadron's is basically the beast's (one pictures above) clone. Belonged to Redbird, Redbird shut down, Lt. Col. Riddle came down, brought his SARmobile with him

Eclipse

AH, well if it came from ILWG, then it was / is a POV.  We don't have anything but vans in the COV fleet (and a couple of trailers).

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

That was probably Ted Lohr's Suburban. I was at the encampment and that's the only vehicle that comes close to matching his description and it don't have wifi.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on May 07, 2011, 02:35:05 AM
That was probably Ted Lohr's Suburban. I was at the encampment and that's the only vehicle that comes close to matching his description and it don't have wifi.

Heh - now "beast" would be a good description of that for sure...

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2011, 04:36:10 PM
AH, well if it came from ILWG, then it was / is a POV.  We don't have anything but vans in the COV fleet (and a couple of trailers).
Didn't a certain ILWG someone have a decom ambo that kept blowing tires on the way back north? Seems to me I heard a story about that one from you.....
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

Quote from: PWK-GT on May 07, 2011, 04:25:40 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2011, 04:36:10 PM
Didn't a certain ILWG someone have a decom ambo that kept blowing tires on the way back north? Seems to me I heard a story about that one from you....

Heh, he still has it and drives it - actually a mini-cam truck that still has the mast, used for comms, now, generator and all.  My understanding is it has all newer tires now.  ;D

"That Others May Zoom"