NEW! RE: Unit Citation w MULTIPLE awards

Started by CAP10Bob, April 18, 2019, 08:26:56 PM

CAP10Bob

Have searched all the UC posts back to 2016 AND read all the applicable 39-3 regs etc., and did not come upon one that answers this question:  How do one deal with MULTIPLE Unit Citation awards?

In almost every other case, it's a ribbon for the first time, bronze clasps for 2nd-5th and a Silver Star for each (5) replacing the bronze clasps. But I could find no delineation for this in the regs.  Does it work the same way??? [I have seen documentation on a UC with bronze clasp(s), and pretty sure that was "OK"d, but there is a limit to how many you can get on one ribbon.

Here's a "real world" EXAMPLE for you to chew on:

Guy has been a member of Squadron A in Group 4 of XX Wing for 25 years, continuously. The Unit has one known UC, the Group has <at least> one known UC, and the Wing -- in that period of time -- has accumulated five or six (5-6) ... we can just assume 5 for round numbers. 

SO, in that case, using pure logic (which we all know doesn't always work), I would think he could wear the Ribbon for the Unit UC, a Silver Star for the (5) Wing UCs, and a Clasp for the Group UC.     RIGHT or WRONG??? 

Anybody got a definitive answer on this; and preferably with reference(s) to support the answer?

Eclipse

Welcome to CAPTalk - you don't need to put "NEW!" in posts, the system will indicate when things are new.

CAPR 39-3, Page 4:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf
"6. Repetitive Awards:
a. Only one award will be made for a single act of heroism, a single meritorious achievement
or one continuous period of meritorious service.

b. Subsequent awards of the same decoration or ribbon are denoted by the CAP bronze
triangular clasp, worn on the ribbon of the original award.
A CAP silver triangular clasp is
equivalent to, and is worn in the place of, five bronze claps. Silver clasps are placed to the wearer's
right side of a bronze clasp. A maximum of four devices may be worn on any ribbon, unless
otherwise stated in this regulation. When the number of devices exceeds the authorized maximum, a
second ribbon is worn to the wearer's left of the initial ribbon. The second ribbon counts as one
subsequent award. When future awards reduce the devices to a single ribbon the second ribbon will
be removed. Devices are illustrated in Attachment 3."

Quote from: CAP10Bob on April 18, 2019, 08:26:56 PM
Guy has been a member of Squadron A in Group 4 of XX Wing for 25 years, continuously. The Unit has one known UC, the Group has <at least> one known UC, and the Wing -- in that period of time -- has accumulated five or six (5-6) ... we can just assume 5 for round numbers. 

Unless the "guy" has a PA that includes his name, or a PA that indicates "all during" you can't assume he was included in any
of those awards.  Higher HQs receive them for those assigned at that level, which do not include the members of subordinate units.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

My first one, which I never wore for many years because I never saw any documentation, was awarded to the entire NE Region back in the '60s. I  have verified this with NER HQ - it was the entire region and all its members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

It depends on how the award reads. If Wing HQ it's only for those assigned to Wing. If it's says XXWG it's for everyone who was a member at the time.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

baronet68

Quote from: CAP10Bob on April 18, 2019, 08:26:56 PM
Anybody got a definitive answer on this; and preferably with reference(s) to support the answer?

Let me point you to this resource, which uses CAPR 39-3 as its regulatory source:

http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/

For the unit citation award, the only authorized attachments (regardless of the echelon to which they are awarded) are triangular clasps.  No stars are worn on unit citation awards.

Five unit citations looks like this:

Six unit citations looks like this:

Seven unit citations looks like this:

Eight unit citations looks like this:

Nine unit citations looks like this:

Ten unit citations looks like this: (Note that two ribbons are worn because there is a limit of 4 attachments that may be worn on a single ribbon.  If the number of awards exceeds the number of attachments, an additional ribbon is worn. The second ribbon counts for one subsequent award. When future awards reduce the devices to a single ribbon the second ribbon is removed)

Eleven unit citations looks like this:

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager