Where is 2010 Winter Board Meeting?

Started by Dixie, January 24, 2010, 04:41:50 AM

Dixie

Anyone know? The NHQ web page still says "details coming soon"

FW

The Winter NB meeting is 25-27 Feb in Washington D.C. at the Crystal City Marriott.  The Winter NB meeting is always held on the last weekend in February in D.C. to coincide with Legislative Day at the Capitol.

JC004

FW, I know you're not old enough to remember when that part of VA was DC!   :P 

SarDragon

Yeah, the last time I checked, Crystal City was south/west of the river.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: JC004 on January 24, 2010, 07:01:45 AM
FW, I know you're not old enough to remember when that part of VA was DC!   :P

It reverted to VA when the Confederacy seceded.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DG

The Colonel is right.

When the U.S. Patent Office was in Crystal City (circa 1960-2000), the address was Washington, DC, 20231.

And, it is considered Washington, DC in the larger sense.

Except by disruptive nit-pickers.

CAP and CAPTalk never had any of those before.

CAPSGT

From the local's perspective:

Yes, Crystal City is technically Virgnia.  Phones there (including government offices) have a 703 (Northern VA) area code.  However, it is so close to the line that it may as well be part of Southwest DC.  The Pentagon, National Airport, and Arlington National Cemetery are also technically in Virginia, but it is all part of the greater Washington D.C. area.

However, I do need to clarify one thing that FW said.  Is it the Crystal City Marriott, or the Crystal Gateway Marriott?   Historically the board has always gone to the Crystal Gateway Marriott.  The 2 hotels cause a lot of confusion, especially since they are only across the street from each other and both can be accessed by the underground mall from the Metro.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

a2capt

If you also look at the original "square" layout of D.C. proper, you'll see that both sides ceded territory to the new capitol. 100 square miles, through retrocession the VA side was returned to VA in 1847, removing 31 square miles, or about 1/3rd of the territory. 

However.. as you know how suburbs work.. the D.C. action spilled over to the other side of the river. ;-)

Sort of like living in CA but having an Oregon post office box, to get stuff mailed to you tax free.. ..

JC004

There is an important distinction for the DC statehood people...the people in Arlington County are not subject to:

FW

Quote from: CAPSGT on January 24, 2010, 07:29:07 PM
However, I do need to clarify one thing that FW said.  Is it the Crystal City Marriott, or the Crystal Gateway Marriott?   Historically the board has always gone to the Crystal Gateway Marriott.  The 2 hotels cause a lot of confusion, especially since they are only across the street from each other and both can be accessed by the underground mall from the Metro.

It's the Crystal City Marriott.  The other hotel is getting too expensive.

Oh, yes.... It is Crystal City, VA..... :P   

Legistlative day is in D.C.

Any other nits I must pick off?  :D

CAPSGT

Odd, I thought the Crystal City Marriott was usually the more expensive of the two.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

DG

Quote from: CAPSGT on January 27, 2010, 03:13:30 PM
Odd, I thought the Crystal City Marriott was usually the more expensive of the two.

Oh no.

Crystal Gateway more expensive.

RiverAux

Any one got a bootleg copy of the agenda yet?

FW

OK, here is the agenda for the NB meeting....

NCRblues

Oh man, it sure seems the air force wasn't happy with the csu. Item agenda 3b kinda spells that out huh?  >:D

"2)  CAP-USAF concurs with the recommendations of the previously established uniform process action team as referred to in Item 2a above.  The goal of replacing the recently disapproved "new corporate uniform" is problematic. CAP already has an AF-style uniform and a corporate uniform.  The "new corporate uniform" appears to have been to attempt to devise an AF-style uniform but title it "corporate" as a method to bypass the requirement to meet AF weight and appearance standards.  Redesigning the gray/white corporate uniform is fine, but any attempts to provide another AF-like uniform will be disapproved."

Pretty strong warning from the organization that was ok with it huh?  ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

FW

The opinion of the current CAP-USAF/CC is different from his predecessor.  However, from reading the agenda items, it looks like there is a great variance of opinionions.  I wonder how it will all work out?

NCRblues

FW it looks like their will be a ton of infighting.... *sigh* I worried about this when the csu debacle first started.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Spike

Quote from: FW on February 03, 2010, 09:34:07 PM
The opinion of the current CAP-USAF/CC is different from his predecessor.  However, from reading the agenda items, it looks like there is a great variance of opinionions.  I wonder how it will all work out?

Bad for CAP as usual. 

RiverAux

A fair number of uniform issues, but a lot of meat on the agenda too.

Item 3a - uniform change process -- I find it hilarious that apparently the Uniform Committee is blaming the general membership for the "out of control" (their quote) uniform changes and that they feel the need to reinforce the ability of any commander to stop any change proposed by someone under their command.  ITS THE COLONELS WHO HAVE BEEN INSTIGATING THIS STUFF.  Still think it is a horrible idea to put the National Commander in total control of this process. 

Item 3b -- CSU -- apparently we're now saying the CSU was never actually approved the right way. 

Item 3c -- proposal that they come up with a single service dress uniform for ALL members.  The AF seems to be open to the idea of CAP having a single "military style" uniform, but doesn't indicate that they would support loosening our grooming/height/weight standards to let all CAP members wear the AF style.  So, we might be looking at a non-AF style service uniform.  Presumably this would lead us to a single non-AF style BDU/flight suit, and everything else. 

Item 5g - proposal to restrict powers of NEC -- extensive discussion on this in another thread.

Item 6b: "Quality Cadet Unit Award" -- Lets give everybody an streamer every year!  Biased against small units since you need at least 25 cadets to win.  Guess you're not quality unless you're big. 

Item 7b - A single document for all your quals -- ES, drivers, radio, first aid, etc.  Great idea!

Item 7c -- Limit CAP pilots to max 79 years old.  O-ride pilots not to exceed 69 years old.  There are 270 cadet orientation pilots age 70+ (of 2,240 total nationwide – 12%) that would be affected by this policy.  There are 34 CAPF 5 pilots age 80+ (of 3,270 total nationwide – 1%) that would be affected by this policy.

Item 8b -- election of Wing commanders.  CAP-USAF doesn't like.  Still alive, I guess. 

Air Patrol ribbon -- on the agenda.  committee reported back on criteria.

Spike

The Air Force side seems to be making some strong comments that many CAP members may not like.  I am so glad they are nonvoting members!