New Iowa Wing commander Announced

Started by isuhawkeye, December 22, 2007, 04:45:17 AM

flyguy06

Nobody's post is lesser than anyone's else. I was staing my opinion that if "anyone" joins CAP and would quit because of something that doesnt ven involve them over helipng the youths they took an oath to help, well,that just says something about their character.

RogueLeader

Quote from: TDHenderson on January 13, 2008, 08:54:22 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on January 13, 2008, 02:38:47 AM
Also, there were very few new recruits at 043 until the captain took over.

Greetings Lt. Seng!  Hope you are well.

I would be interested in hearing more from you on your comment above.  What, in your mind, was the reason behind this change?  IA-043 definitely had a very large presence in a recent OTS class.

Thanks!

There was only one new FO at 043, FO Snaith.  He joined in August, after the end of Oct. When Capt. Sneider took over, he got eight Aviation Students to join.  There wer a couple of others that did join before the transition, but their life situations did not allow for them to participate in OTS.  It was those nine/ten that participated in OTS.  The change was simply that the people that Capt Schneider recruited had the ability to go.  From what I have heard, several of those OTS grads have since dropped out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: sparks on January 13, 2008, 01:09:35 AM
Customer problems and damage control! The command change hasn't even happened. Wing positions haven't changed so why would any customers be concerned unless someone told them the wheels were coming off the wagon, sour grapes maybe.

I dunno, perhaps having a National Commander suspended, then removed and having to go perhaps an entire year on interim leadership could be an issue.

How about concerns over having a 6 figure budget being controlled by someone outside of their control.

How about being told X was going to be in charge, then the next finding out that someone's mind changed and that Y was selected?
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 14, 2008, 03:06:32 AM
How about concerns over having a 6 figure budget being controlled by someone outside of their control.
A CAP Wing Commander is never under the "control", especially from a corporate fiscal aspect, of the Guard or any other outside agency.  This would likely be a violation of our charter, 501-C(3) status, and I bet the NEC and Board would have something to say about it. 

If you are saying they are/were in IAWG, then there really is a problem...a BIG one.  CAP is not for sale. 

How about being told X was going to be in charge, then the next finding out that someone's mind changed and that Y was selected?

This is SOP in politics, especially at the state level.  Another reason why you sell the organization and the capabilities, NOT the people.  People are squishy and they die, get sick, and move on to other things, especailly volunteers.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

again, the issue is not the people.  The issue is the fact that CAP has forcibly removed the last two national commanders.  We have overturned nearly every region commander before their scheduled time out.  A very well known Iowa leader (GLasgow) is taken out. 

In Iowa we claim that CAP is stable and capable.  Then One selection board is established, then rejected.  Then the second one is created.  Then an announcement is made.  Then known outside influences announce when and how they will get the decision overturned.  Then the decision is overturned. 

No matter how you cut it we don't come off as a viable partner, or a reliable volunteer force.  And no this type of unprofessionalism is not acceptable in any organization.

Whocares

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 14, 2008, 03:37:14 AM
again, the issue is not the people.

Sure, the problem of CAP may not be the people, but the way this argument has been presented, it is.  After all, this thread the other thread "CAP-Agency vs. CAP-club:  the real issue in Iowa" are related.  As cyclone has stated "The present problem involves a clash of philosophies: CAP-Club versus CAP-Agency. Simply put, Ron Scheitzach represents the best of CAP-Club and Nick Critelli that of CAP-Agency."  So the way he simply put it, the issue is people. 

QuoteIn Iowa we claim that CAP is stable and capable.  Then One selection board is established, then rejected.  Then the second one is created.  Then an announcement is made.  Then known outside influences announce when and how they will get the decision overturned.  Then the decision is overturned.

From your comments, I read this as the "Iowa Experiment" is failing to produce the proper training to its members.  "Outside influences announce when and how" sounds to me that people have either gone through your program or are suppose to are not following proper regulations and protocol.  May be it has, may be it has not, but the way you and the others are presenting light on the matter is not exactly helping strengthen your point of view.

And I must ask, why exactly was the selection board rejected in the first place?  This just may shed some light onto the subject. 

QuoteNo matter how you cut it we don't come off as a viable partner, or a reliable volunteer force.  And no this type of unprofessionalism is not acceptable in any organization.

I find it interesting that you claim that Iowa has embraced professionalism.  Yet, one of your own members (cyclone) posted this:  "I urge our leadership to seriously consider their decision to allow this change of command to proceed.  What you do will define your leadership and the future of our CAP."  The way I read that, he is claiming that if this change of command (to Scheitzach) is allowed, then the leadership of CAP has been defined for the worse.  To me that sounds as though he is calling CAP leaders out.  Does not sound to professional to me, let alone respectful (CAP's 4th Core Value)

What I even find more interesting is this:  You and the rest of the people that have created this program worked hard.  I will not denie that.  You have an emotional attachment to the program.  After all, I think every one that works hard on any program develops the same attachment.  That is perfectly normal.  Now you have this new boss stepping into "your" relm that does not like the idea.  Has not supported it.  You and the others are afraid that everything that you have worked for is in jeopardy.  Those that were once top figures in the wing will slowly start to fade away.

Last time I checked, this happens in real life all the time.  A new boss comes into the company and does not like how things are being ran.  Those that developed that current process defend its existence.  Heck, it happens in the military.  A new commander or 1SG steps into the unit and does not like the current training program and makes changes or drops it entirely. 

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2008, 03:30:31 AM
A CAP Wing Commander is never under the "control", especially from a corporate fiscal aspect, of the Guard or any other outside agency.  This would likely be a violation of our charter, 501-C(3) status, and I bet the NEC and Board would have something to say about it. 

If you are saying they are/were in IAWG, then there really is a problem...a BIG one.  CAP is not for sale. 

The IAWG/CC is effectively in control of a 6 figure budget from the state. You bet your Six they have an interest in who's in Command.

CAP not for sale? What's the CAP Branding campaign then? CAP's always been for sale provided the $$ went to CAP, INC.

This is SOP in politics, especially at the state level.  Another reason why you sell the organization and the capabilities, NOT the people.  People are squishy and they die, get sick, and move on to other things, especailly volunteers.
[/quote]

The only way you build and organizations and capabilities is to 1) Organize the people 2) Train them so they have capabilities. That's what IAWG's been doing.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

isuhawkeye

with a name like who cares you sure have some strong opinions. 

I can not defend or speak for anyone else in the wing.  I have supported many different wing commanders with many different philosophies.  I joined CAP to serve my community.  As with every command change I will evaluate the environment and determine what the best avenue is to serve that community. 

If training is such and issue, then I am to blame.  If the new commander does not think that my programs are successful, then why has he asked me to continue?

Whocares

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 14, 2008, 01:16:31 PM
with a name like who cares you sure have some strong opinions. 

Sometimes it is more fun to play the devil's advocate.  Besides, as some people have done, they post a nice large summary and detailed explanation of Critelli and then a small one of Scheitzach.  It kind of sounds like politics and election seasons.  I would hardly find this to be fair as people are making decisions based only on what is being presented.  Unfortunately, one must question the source of the information especially when it is in opposition of the "new" commander when the person saying it is clearly in favor of the other.

If people are saying it is not one thing yet present it in that light, it is alittle hard to believe them is not?  For example, if you claim that X is not about race yet keep talking about race, would you really assume that X is not about race? 

QuoteI can not defend or speak for anyone else in the wing. 

No you cannot.  However, when you post one thing and one of your comrades post something in contradiction, one must question.   

QuoteIf training is such and issue, then I am to blame.  If the new commander does not think that my programs are successful, then why has he asked me to continue?

As you have said, you and Scheitzach joined about the same time.  I do not know what your past accomplishments prior to the "Iowa Experiment" (as everyone seems to be calling it) are.  People can have one or two bad accomplishments yet have a whole arena of good ones.  A smart commander would look at that and out weight each.

isuhawkeye

if you follow the early posts on this topic you will see a "see it for yourself" theme.  There is no way to sell, or prove this kind of philosophy change with out experiencing it.  We have hosted members from across the country.  from their experiences many liked what they saw while others did not.  eclipse came to iowa.  he experienced our program and he developed his own opinions.  Those opinions are not the same as mine, but I respect him for making them. 

I would invite you to come to our programs.  let's get through the change of command and then we will see what's schedueled.

Eclipse

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 14, 2008, 04:07:00 PM..eclipse came to iowa.  he experienced our program and he developed his own opinions. 

No, he didn't.

But I have had one pilot from IAWG walk into my (then) squadron and ask to participate in aircrew training and fly our plane because he couldn't get near one in IAWG.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 14, 2008, 01:16:31 PM
If training is such and issue, then I am to blame.  If the new commander does not think that my programs are successful, then why has he asked me to continue?

Well Sir, anyone in the Business World or the Military Community knows when the new boss takes over, changes are not immediate and hiring/firing is done later on.  Really its all about internal continuity.  Why would the guy want to create more headache for himself by firing everyone and reinventing everything his first week in.  Give it a few months before he starts making changes.  That is when the New Wing Kings really start making their Wing their own.  

If he comes in and changes everything around on day 1, people will not want to work with him, or support him.

NOTE:  In Business, it is usually the way I described above, except for those hostile takeovers and whatnot, that are normally not the "norm".
What's up monkeys?

cyclone

Today Chief Master Sergeant Chiafos submitted this letter to the Officers of Iowa Wing and resigned due to this situation...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colleagues & Friends of the Iowa Wing:

Although I am assigned to national headquarters, my first love has been, and will always remain, the Iowa wing – and the wondrous people in it.  We have stood together through hard times and good.  And through the thick and the thin of it all you have earned my admiration, my respect, and my gratitude.  We are all seasoned veterans of battles, great and small, to make this wing something special, something never before seen in Civil Air Patrol.  I am fiercely proud to have been a part of that, and prouder still to have known and worked with the people who made it happen.

Like Camelot, we had our bright and shining hour, and now the Iowa Experiment is over.
In recent days I have counseled many of you not to quit, to be patient, to let the process work itself out, but I can no longer say it without choking on the words.  It has become abundantly clear that CAP is incapable of change, or of even doing the right thing.  I have submitted my voluntary resignation to General Courtier, effective immediately. 

So our time together is at an end, and I cannot stand with you in a last wing assembly formation, as my presence there would imply credence to what I believe is reprehensible. This is not an issue of personality, but of ethical conscious, and the certainty that honor matters.  I had intended to go quietly, without comment, but some smart person said that silence is approval – and I do not approve.  But, more importantly, I care deeply about the respect you have always given me, and it would be a shameful day to desert you without warning, farewell, or explanation.  I hope you can forgive me for not being there with you, to look you in the eye, to shake your hand, and to say thank you.

I am profoundly shocked by the process, which selected and announced a wing commander, and then un-selected him, and re-selected an inferior and unqualified officer.  How and why the original selection process, and the decision on a commander, came to be set aside will probably never see the light of scrutiny – it no longer matters.  It is a disgraceful comment on all that is dishonest in CAP.

The damage to Nick Critelli's personal reputation is appalling.  Nick's public humiliation had to be explained to the Governor of Iowa, the Commander of the Iowa National Guard Bureau, the Iowa Legislature, and the Department of Homeland Security.  This is also our humiliation, a repudiation of that we worked so hard to achieve, an indelible stain on Civil Air Patrol - which will not be soon forgotten or forgiven

I am compelled to speak frankly of my experiences with your new commander, so that you have no false illusions or hope - and they are all depressing.  I take no joy whatsoever in what follows, and, try as I may, I can find no kind words for him that will allow me to maintain honesty with you.  He vigorously opposed each and every step we were taking toward change.  His conduct was so discordant and insubordinate he was relieved as our Vice-Wing Commander. During his tenure as a squadron commander not a single member of his squadron ever participated in a WTA and, again, because of his relentless and very public insubordination, he was relieved of that command.  He has not been seen or heard from in this wing for more than a year – till now.  He will now demand from you the respect, cooperation, and obedience he denied Colonel Tomlinson.

I bid you all – farewell

Robert Chiafos
Chief Master Sergeant

RiverAux

I'll assume that the Chief's statements about facts are more or less correct, and if so, I have a very hard time believing that someone who has been relieved of duty twice in such a short span of years is being given the nod.  If the reliefs had happened 15 years ago under different political situations, it would be one thing, but this is pretty crazy. 

cyclone

He was relieved twice in a year span.   Then has been inactive for over a year without a peep to the wing he is about to lead.

RiverAux

Well, frankly I take the "inactive" part much more seriously than the reliefs.  We all know that CAP officers get releived primarily for political reasons, not for performance or capability reasons.  According to the Chief, the reliefs were apparently for not wanting to go along with the experiment.  So, getting relieved because of that doesn't mean someone isn't capable of doing a fine job. 

However, going inactive and doing nothing is a strike against you ..... UNLESS you were strongly encouraged by the Wing leadership to lay low, which I suspect is a distinct possibility here.   

cyclone

I have not knowledge of any "duress" applied to lay low so I cannot comment on it either way.

Either way this is the first exit of major players prior to the change of command with, I fear, more to come.

RiverAux

QuoteI have not knowledge of any "duress" applied to lay low so I cannot comment on it either way.
I do not either, however that is a fairly common practice applied to high ranking CAP members who run afoul of a Wing King's program.  And, it is sort of common courtesy for a squadron commander to stay out of the way of his replacement for a while too.  Gives the new guy a chance to establish his authority, which can sometimes be a little tricky when the immediate past commander is still around saying "If I was still in charge..."

Whocares

Quote from: cyclone on January 15, 2008, 11:51:38 PM
He was relieved twice in a year span.   Then has been inactive for over a year without a peep to the wing he is about to lead.

And yet, CAP leadership believes he is ready for the job as oppose to the other members that applied for the Wing Commander position. 

capchiro

I have monitored the Iowa Wing Experiment for the past year and I have been concerned about some of the changes and how they might affect CAP in general.  One of the areas of concern was the NCO program.  I could see no need for it and only the possiblity of interference from a different source, specifically NCO's that were being set up as knowing how to administer the program better than anyone else.  I have never known an NCO that was worth his/her salt that didn't support a program as presented from above.  NCO's have are instrumental in upper level decision making but only to a very limited, if requested way.  Officers are managers, and make policy decisions.  NCO's are to assist and see that orders/regulations are carried out to a "T", not change things.  Now Chief Chiafos has classified himself as being one that takes his bat and ball home when he isn't happy with how the game is going.  This does not demonstate the professionalism that was so bantered about in the recent past.  JMHO although I have over 30 years of CAP/military experience.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154