New Iowa Wing commander Announced

Started by isuhawkeye, December 22, 2007, 04:45:17 AM

cyclone

And to support fairness doctrine, this is Lt Col Critelli.

He joined in March of 2003 and was billeted as a squadron legal officer.  He is from Des Moines, Iowa and is dual billeted as an attorney and barrister.   He was a Cadet in CAP in DSM in the 1960's.  He is qualified as a GTL, CUL, PIO, and Liaison Officer.   He has also served on Eval's as CUL, PIO and LO twice.  He has several SQTR cards that he has not turned in yet for other staff positions and has served as LO for many of our missions by working at the SEOC or county EOC to help us liaison with officials.  He has served at the JIC (Joint Information Center) on several high profile searches and helped to work with the media and local authorities to inform the public on what CAP has been doing.

He is Level 4 complete, he is Master rated in Comm, and YES MR. HAYDEN he did earn Level 4 the hard way I've seen his file...  He was recruited to attend National Legal Officer course in Minneapolis shortly after he joined.  He did attend this with NHQ and wing approval.  He was promoted to Captain because he was a serving Legal Officer in 2003 after NLO.  He was promoted to Lt Col as the Gov't Relations Officer in the summer of 2004.  He was reluctantly promoted and tried to stop us because he was not wanting the rank.  However, several of us worked with the Wing CC to get it for him.

He has been one of the change agents to help make Iowa Wing's reorganization possible.   He has spent numerous hours at the State Capitol helping to get relationships repaired that were damaged by previous administrations and help Iowa get $ to support its maintenance and training.   He has invested much of his personal and political capital into IAWG.   I was able to be in one of the first private sit downs with the Deputy Adjutant and Lt Col Critelli and survived many of the military briefings to follow.  He spent countless hours, to the detriment of his   practice, working on the hill and at Camp Dodge to help get IAWG put on the path to where we are.

He helped to develop the OTS (Officer Training School), ICAPA (Iowa CAP Academy - Cadets), the WTA (Wing Training Assembly), Field Grade Transition, the Wing's Virual Headquarters, and our new Wing HQ at Camp Dodge.  

He was brought on as the Wing Chief of Staff as we prepared to go into a year long prep for our SAV and CI cycle.   When Nick joined in 2003 our "Wing HQ" was a closet at the Iowa City Airport.  Yes, I am not kidding it was a closet folks.  He helped to get wing's files brought to our Camp Dodge HQ from everyone's home so we could organize the Wing so we would not fail the SAV and CI.  After surviving the SAV and CI (with an Eval the month after) he was promoted to Wing Vice Commander.

Eclipse

Please tell me Lt. Col. Critelli didn't really resign over this.

Whether he is qualified for Wing CC is a Region / National call, but regardless he's obviously an asset to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

cyclone

Would you stick around after getting a big fat ole black eye like that?

Major Carrales

Quote from: cyclone on January 12, 2008, 03:30:52 PM
Would you stick around after getting a big fat ole black eye like that?

Honestly, I would stay.  I may take a short break to recover my emotional state, no one can really be part of an effective team if they are into the negative side of their emotions.

However, I believe too much in the idea of CAP to really allow personal allowances to ultimately end my participation.  I am, by definition, a supporter of the SQUADRON LEVEL anyway.  I have learned, in the last year or so, that the political machinations of CAP are what destroy otherwise good CAP officers.

Thus, I can envision two types of Lt Cols in CAP, 1) the WING level one that sacrifices the toils, joys and locality of the SQUADRON to offer administrative services to a GROUP or WING, 2) the FIELD one that is a leader in their SQUADRON.  I would like, I think, to be the latter.   

Now, getting "thrown out" would be another story.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 12, 2008, 05:50:51 PM
Thus, I can envision two types of Lt Cols in CAP, 1) the WING level one that sacrifices the toils, joys and locality of the SQUADRON to offer administrative services to a GROUP or WING, 2) the FIELD one that is a leader in their SQUADRON.  I would like, I think, to be the latter.   
How about a third type - the one that takes the job as a challange to improve their knowledge and skills.

Major Carrales

Quote from: arajca on January 12, 2008, 06:08:08 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 12, 2008, 05:50:51 PM
How about a third type - the one that takes the job as a challange to improve their knowledge and skills.

So be it!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

The Hawk

When dealing with Congress, especially with those members serving on the House and Senate Appropriations Sub-committees, credibility is, literally, the "coin of the realm."  And although individual members come and go, institutional memory in both the executive branch / civil service and the legislature tends to be unpleasantly long.

One element of the "Iowa Experiment" that's garnered a lot of attention here and elsewhere is the support the Iowa National Guard and State government have provided, in both facilities and the six-figure annual funding we've gotten over the last few years.  This has, however, created a variety of external stake-holders, with control of money, resources and/or statutory authority, who have a great deal of interest in what's going on with Iowa Wing CAP.   

"It's the mission, not the man" is true, within limits, for mature political institutions.  However, we haven't been running the "Iowa Experiment" for enough years to establish "six figure CAP state funding" as an administrative norm.  The potential for my Wing to suffer significant blow-back as a result of what has occurred over the last few days is non-trivial. Especially given the key personal role Lt. Col. Critelli helped play in the establishment of this relationship, as Government Relations Officer.

As far as Lt. Col. Critelli's personal credibility with the State of Iowa is concerned...well, he is the past president of the State Bar Association, has been admitted to practice in front of the U.S. Supreme Court, and has also been running a successfull law firm with an international clientele for four decades.   Given that most state and federal legislators are lawyers, I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

Either you create your future, or you become the victim of the future someone creates for you.
-Vice Admiral Arthur K. Cebrowski, USN (Ret.)

alice

As an infrequent lurker and poster to this discussion board, I just now stumbled across this thread.

I am flabbergasted.

I had the total pleasure to meet Nick Critelli at the Minneapolis National Legal Officers College in 2003.  We often sat next to each other and it turns out we had mutual friends in Des Moines.  I can easily say without any reservation after my 20 years in CAP he struck me as being in the top ten for smarts, ethics, sense of humor, and interest in CAP's missions.

CAP can not afford to throw away callously his kind of leadership.

Alice
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

cyclone

Quote from: The Hawk on January 12, 2008, 07:38:18 PM
One element of the "Iowa Experiment" that's garnered a lot of attention here and elsewhere is the support the Iowa National Guard and State government have provided, in both facilities and the six-figure annual funding we've gotten over the last few years.  This has, however, created a variety of external stake-holders, with control of money, resources and/or statutory authority, who have a great deal of interest in what's going on with Iowa Wing CAP.   

Spot on.  Your observation is 100% correct.  There are a lot of high-end stakeholders outside of the CAP structure in Iowa that are depending on Iowa CAP "the Agency."  They never would have depended on the old Iowa CAP "the club."  Clubs don't get money from the government.   Clubs don't get tasked for missions from the government. 

The institutional memory of the government is truly long lasting.  We found that out when the "Iowa Experiment" began.  We had people who had been burned badly by the past administrations of CAP "the club" and it took years of convincing to show them we could be something else.  We had to show them through professionalism and show them that we were willing to be trained to a higher level and become stable (which was basically non-existent since our wing operated out of a travelling PO box, a closet in an airport, and a box of files in the back of the Wing CC's staff vehicle).  Now the stability is in question.  Their questioning CAP and bottom line the question is now "are you going to be a club or will you be an agency?"  The answer to that question will determine our future.

RiverAux

There are two ways of looking at this:
1.  A tough, but good, decision was made to change the wing commander designee based on some sort of opposition from within the Wing itself.  In that case, Iowa people would be happy about the change and all would be well.

2.  A bad call was made and it will make a bunch of Iowa people mad in that wanted this person  and changing it will get them hopping mad. 

The thing is that both could be true at the same time depending on who you are and your point of view.  Some people in Iowa are probably happy, some are probably mad about it.  While I don't know Iowa, I know that most CAP members don't really care who is Wing commander one way or another.  Those who care are on Wing staff and those in squadron commander positions. 

The one thing that I think we can all agree on is that naming somebody and then pulling that nomination back makes the upper levels of CAP look very bad, even if it ended up being the right call (generically speaking).

Of course this same situation happens with some regularity in politics.  It isn't unusual for a President to name his nominee for a position and then have to pull it back due to overwhelming opposition. 

Goliath

Ladies and Gentlemen-  I have always enjoyed visiting CAP Talk and the discussions presented.  As anyone who knows me would attest, I seldom ever post a message within any message board unless compelled to do so.  In fact, this is my first post within CAP Talk.  The situation that is occurring within the Iowa Wing is one that has implications far beyond the boundaries of the state.  CAP's national reputation and viability is at stake as everyone within the corporation has a vested interest regarding the outcome of this issue.  Hence, my post.

I am the commander of the 91st All Iowa Squadron and a long time member of CAP.  I am also a friend of Lt Col Critelli and what I am about to post within this thread are FACTS.  I had breakfast with the Lt Colonel this morning confirming these facts.  As such, a number of these facts may contradict statements that have already been posted within this thread.  The facts of this situation are this:

- Lt Col Critelli has not resigned or quit from the Corporation.
- Lt Col Critelli is feverishly working on damage control, trying to repair relationships with our customers.  These customers include the Iowa National Guard, Iowa Department of Homeland Security and others.

As previously stated, this situation is ongoing.  As more FACTS become available, they will be publicized. 

Doug Tonnemacher, Capt CAP
Commander, 91st All Iowa Squadron NCR-IA-091
Camp Dodge, IA

sparks

Customer problems and damage control! The command change hasn't even happened. Wing positions haven't changed so why would any customers be concerned unless someone told them the wheels were coming off the wagon, sour grapes maybe.

Whocares

Quote from: cyclone on January 12, 2008, 04:46:54 AM
fairness doctrine

I would say that your opinion is hardly fair.  You are obviously friends and thus your personal bias is affecting your opinion of the "opponent".  That is, are you sure you are being fair in your description of Scheitzach?  Is there any one that can verify your opinion of Scheitzach that is either less bias against Scheitzach or just as bias as you are toward Critelli?  It is hardly fair to accept one person's opinion as fact when it is obviously bias.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 12, 2008, 04:56:02 AM
Please tell me Lt. Col. Critelli didn't really resign over this.

With people's personal bias here regarding their emotions in this subject, I would have to say that if he did or any one else for that matter resign over the matter, then they do not display "Service before Self".  From the information that has been presented, the matter seems to be not held very appropriately.  However, all this information is just speculation.  Now I know what some of you are thinking "This is not speculation!  I have talked with him personally".  Unfortunately, unless someone official (for example Critelli himself or those members in this decision) come on here and personally swear to the information, all your information is simply second hand information and may be subject to bias as presented to the audience.

As far as my opinion in the "Service before Self" comment:  even though this is probably very emotional for him and should take some time off, does one quit after first unfortunate accident?  Or does he put the mission before his personal problems and drive on?  Which is the more honorable decision?
Quote from: cyclone on January 12, 2008, 11:31:18 PM
Quote from: The Hawk on January 12, 2008, 07:38:18 PM

Now the stability is in question.  Their questioning CAP and bottom line the question is now "are you going to be a club or will you be an agency?"  The answer to that question will determine our future.

I must ask, why is the stability in question?  I am sure that the proper training was conducted.  After all, what is the philosophy:  always train the person two positions lower than you to take over in the event you are no longer able.  Thus, I am sure that some one can step into Critell's position and perform the job.  May be not at the same level as Critelli at first, but as with everything over time, the new person should be able to start performing just as well.  

Also, I find it hard to believe that the entire stability of the organization rests on one person.  Another ideology comes to mind:  Ensure that every person in your organization is replacable.

Going back to the resigning thing, what would show a better professional image to the National Guard:  Critelli staying in the organization and continuing in his position or him quitting because of a large hole in the road?  

Personally, I would have to say that most people's emotions are providing a bias to their decisions on this board.  You may have thought highly of Critelli or may have disliked him.  However, the new Iowa Wing Commander decision is not the decision of this board.  Nor does every one here know enough of the information to make an informmed deicison.  We did not witness the phone call, the decision process by the National Commander or the Region Commander, the politics that play at the USAF or the CAP side.  All we know is the information presented to us as second hand information.  

Is this unfortunate?  I do not know.  It depends on your side of the coin.  However, I believe that may be we should prevent from making speculated guesses as to why Critelli was asked then taken out of the position?  As far as we know, any number of options or reasons could be the answer.  

CAPrider

Fortunately, or unfortunately perhaps, there are more than two options to the 'change' decision. We can digress into a discussion on exactly how to define all the options, but that would not accomplish much either.

"While I don't know Iowa, I know that most CAP members don't really care who is Wing commander one way or another."

Is Iowa that unusual then, that many Iowa Wing members DO care who is Wing Commander?  And many of them are NOT staff members... (I am not)

I suspect that much of it does concern the theme that has been mentioned repeatedly already....the numerous people and agencies that have allowed themselves to trust or rely on IAWG the last few years. Many of the members all around the state have been re-vitalized by the opportunity to work side by side with many of these agencies, to be involved in joint exercises with them, to be able to contribute time and talent to the needs of the people of the state of Iowa. This did seem to be what I understood the Civil Air Patrol to be founded on, and it was exciting to see it actually happening.

The direction of the Wing is determined by the person at the yoke. The other agencies know this too. So do the members of the Wing. There is concern that a person who definitively chose not to be aligned with the "Iowa Plan" would 'turn the plane around' and all those who have tentatively trusted CAP in Iowa would be left high and dry, agencies and members alike.  The method in which the selection was made and changed already has damaged that trust.

Eclipse

Quote from: Goliath on January 13, 2008, 12:54:17 AMThe situation that is occurring within the Iowa Wing is one that has implications far beyond the boundaries of the state.  CAP's national reputation and viability is at stake as everyone within the corporation has a vested interest regarding the outcome of this issue. 

I don't really see how what happens in Iowa matters much beyond Iowa - the majority of CAP members don't know what is going on in other units in their own Group, let alone another state.

This is all anecdotally interesting in a "Hardcopy" kind of way, but beyond that the whole thing is getting tiresome.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Part of what makes Iowa so interesting is the fact that there are many features of the IAWG that are being adopted in other wings- so I have been told.  That said, if the good things that are being done in IAWG, are suddenly being reversed; how does that look to others that are looking at Iowa?  It doesn't look good, at all.

As a side note, there were not many in 043 that went to the WTA's because it was 4hrs drive each way.  I was one of the few that did go regularly.  With training only allowed at the WTA's, cadets didn't want to get involved in ES.  Also, parents were not willing to go that far for an entire weekend.  Also, there were very few new recruits at 043 until the captain took over.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

While I haven't talked to Nick in several days, the last I talked to him he indicated leaving CAP, and vacationing for a while. 

If he has done or not done the first, i cannot tell, because I do not know.

However, I have a little ELT inside of me that says this ain't over yet.......

Major Carrales

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 13, 2008, 02:38:47 AM
Part of what makes Iowa so interesting is the fact that there are many features of the IAWG that are being adopted in other wings- so I have been told.  That said, if the good things that are being done in IAWG, are suddenly being reversed; how does that look to others that are looking at Iowa?  It doesn't look good, at all.

As I see it, the "IOWA APPROACH" should not become a "COOKIE CUTTER" solution for all wings.   Let us not confuse policies and concepts.

I have never held that IOWA WING policies should be grafted or implemented in other WINGS, it simply will not work.  (Ever heard the advice "never take another person's medicine?")  However, adpating many of the concepts would be valid.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

TDHenderson

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 13, 2008, 02:38:47 AM
Also, there were very few new recruits at 043 until the captain took over.

Greetings Lt. Seng!  Hope you are well.

I would be interested in hearing more from you on your comment above.  What, in your mind, was the reason behind this change?  IA-043 definitely had a very large presence in a recent OTS class.

Thanks!

isuhawkeye

Yes The cadet programs guy is very excited about Critelli.  He has personal experience, and incentives.  Hoe different does that make most who post on this board?

Do his opinions have any lesser value on this board?