US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

Quote from: capchiro on November 07, 2007, 04:18:36 PM
I would imagine, from reading and hearing all about Iowa's way for the past year, that this change was mandated by someone in authority in Iowa and that is why all of the members have been harmed as mentioned above.  I know of no one except new members that have changed to the USCAP nametape in our Wing.  Implementing an approved change by the mandatory wear date is one thing.  Mandating the change 3 years prior to the mandatory wear date is quite another.  If National didn't mandate it prior to 2010, then it would appear that someone overstepped their authority by requiring the change prior to nationals requirements.  National Reg's take precedence over lower units without experssed approval.  I would have to consider Iowa to be a "lower unit".  The point I am trying to make is that it has appeared that Iowa has mandated a lot of Reg changes that are not mandated by National and any time a lower unit does so, they do so at some risk.  JMHO..

Wouldn't it act the same as laws?  Congress makes a law one way, but the State can make it more restricitive.  So in this case National was a bit more laxed in how they wanted it to be implimented but Iowa wanted to make sure it was in standard so they wanted to implement a sooner date to ensure that by 2010 everyone there was already in compliance.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

O-Rex

What about the command patch?

I'm kind of hoping that they keep the one with the Air Force Auxiliary scroll for the green bags, and the corporate ones for the blue...

Grumpy

So, what do you think will happen to those "neat" stickers we were supposed to put on the doors of our vans?
I've been telling our Logistics Officer to drag his feet on changing them.  It's a good thing he listened to me.

capchiro

Unfortunately, it's not like laws.  CAP Reg's can't be broadened or made more restrictive without the blessings of National.  The reason for this is that the Reg's would no longer be uniform throughout CAP as each lower unit could restrict or interpret them as they liked.  It goes back to my pet peeve about the only "required" uniform for cadets is the short sleeve blue/blue pants combo, however, some units require BDU's and that is not what the Reg's say and can not be enforced.  Unless the BDU's are furnished at no expense to the cadet, they can not be required to wear them for a required function.  And yes basic encampment is a required function if a cadet is to reach Mitchell.  If National says CAP tapes are mandated by 2010, no local commander has the authority to override that at his option.  Someone is always trying to "bend" the Reg's to appear more hardcore or "stract" than the next person and sometimes it bites them.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

jimmydeanno

Quote from: capchiro on November 07, 2007, 06:26:52 PM
And yes basic encampment is a required function if a cadet is to reach Mitchell. 

No one ever said the encampment needs to have them wear BDUs.  They could wear PT clothes all week and blues when appropriate...but I digress and it's not really on topic...sorry.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Mustang

Quote from: O-Rex on November 07, 2007, 04:52:18 PM
What about the command patch?

I'm kind of hoping that they keep the one with the Air Force Auxiliary scroll for the green bags, and the corporate ones for the blue...

Why would you want different patches?  Do you want it so that the green bag can ONLY be worn during AF-assigned missions?  You must, because unless you're performing an AFAM, you're not acting as the Air Force Auxiliary.

CAP needs FEWER uniforms and associated doodads, not more!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

pixelwonk

Quote from: Mustang on November 07, 2007, 06:55:26 PM
CAP needs FEWER uniforms and associated doodads, not more!
Here Here!

WRT the whole early adopter thing...  I'm not keen on it. 
Heh. just look at the iPhone people.  :) 

Having said that, cue regret here:

After being pegged to staff the CAP Recruiting booth at EAA, I realized I'd need to pony up for a new set of BDU's slightly earlier than I had planned.   I certainly wasn't about to put my faded old tapes 'n junk on a nice shiny set of new BDUs.  I didn't want to sew new fluorescent blue tapes on a worn uniform when it came time for the mando date either, so I opted for the US Civil Air Patrol tapes.
To those who don't think there are many with US tapes, I have personally seen a lot more than just a handful during EAA as well as the Disaster Relief Missions in Minnesota this past Summer. YMMV

Since then I've been fortunate to come across some new "sans US" tapes. You can bet they will be put to use.
...soon  ;)

BillB

I think people need to go back and look at the first post. It does NOT say the BDU tape was changed from U.S. Civil Air Patrol. It says ONLY the signaure block on corrospondance. It would appear the NEC did nothing to change that.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

pixelwonk

Gee that's great Bill, but that's not the only letter floatin around.

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on November 07, 2007, 07:57:57 PM

Off topic: But the iPod Touch looks pretty cool.  All the stuff that made the iPhone cool without the phone and contract.  I just wanted to have Internet in my pants anyway.

On topic: Wait for the ICL(s).

Mike Johnston

cnitas

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 05, 2007, 10:44:34 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 05, 2007, 08:53:02 PM
The NB, meeting (I think) in March may or may not change the regulation on nametapes back.

According to a letter we got forwarded from the Southwest Region commander, it's already been decided:

QuoteGentlemen – please pass on to all members of your wing (and Lt. Col. Mattiello please pass on to SWR Staff).  The NEC today confirmed that the official name of our organization remains "Civil Air Patrol".  All signature blocks should indicate that name.  Use of e-mail signature blocks indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" or "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" are not permitted and should be changed.  Please see my signature block below for an example of an acceptable one. 

Items such as vehicle emblems, stationery and uniform items indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" will be phased out over a period of time, with further guidance to follow.

Joseph Jensen, Col., CAP
Commander
Southwest Region
Civil Air Patrol

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Quote from: MIKE on November 07, 2007, 08:11:21 PM
Quote from: tedda on November 07, 2007, 07:57:57 PM

Off topic: But the iPod Touch looks pretty cool.  All the stuff that made the iPhone cool without the phone and contract.  I just wanted to have Internet in my pants anyway.

On topic: Wait for the ICL(s).

Off topic:  yeah I get an ipod then they come out with the Ipod touch.

On topic: when do we expect an official announcement sent down to everyone?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

isuhawkeye

QuoteI would imagine, from reading and hearing all about Iowa's way for the past year, that this change was mandated by someone in authority in Iowa and that is why all of the members have been harmed as mentioned above

No mandates were made.  When NHQ puts out a policy, a squadron has a stock of new tapes for sale, and a seamstress is available to put on the new tapes.  Why wouldn't you conform to the requirements?

As I see it the members continue to be hurt by NHQ knee jerking

Psicorp

Quote from: BillB on November 07, 2007, 08:01:49 PM
I think people need to go back and look at the first post. It does NOT say the BDU tape was changed from U.S. Civil Air Patrol. It says ONLY the signaure block on corrospondance. It would appear the NEC did nothing to change that.

Perhaps, sir, they simply allowed the ICL to expire with no action.  I think from now on I'm going to wait for an ICL to become permanent before breaking out my wallet or sewing machine.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Technically most of those uniform ICLs are already expired by the letter of CAPR 5-4.
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: TDHenderson on November 07, 2007, 04:48:44 PM
Well, not everyone in Iowa made the change.  I'm glad I didn't!  

Glad I didn't make the change either...(no Money)

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on November 08, 2007, 06:23:24 PM
Technically most of those uniform ICLs are already expired by the letter of CAPR 5-4.

Quote from: CAPR 5-4, Page 4
Interim Change Letters (ICL). Situations requiring immediate action due to a state of emergency, an unforeseen circumstance involving the preservation of life or property, or other contingencies that may require prompt action may result in an interim change letter being issued outlining immediate policies. ICLs may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation or manual governing that subject matter. Issuance of policies by ICL is a temporary measure.
a. ICLs outlining immediate policies to be followed for a limited time will be issued with a stated expiration date. Such expiration dates shall not be more than 180 days from the date the letter was issued.
b. ICLs outlining immediate policies that are intended to become permanent shall be incorporated into an appropriate publication within 90 days of the date the letter was issued.

Wow - you learn something new everyday. Assuming that the all the uniform shuffles were classified as ICL's, some of them "died on the table" before he who shall be nameless was removed.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Of course, reading the regulation regarding ICLs, there was no "state of emergency, unforeseen circumstance involving the preservation of life or property, or other contingency that may require prompt action" in the creation of all the new uniform regulations.  So technically, there should never have been ICLs issued about them.

But then, He who shall not be named made a habit of shooting from the hip, didn't he?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Lancer

FYI.

This was the reply from Susan Parker our Chief of Staff received regarding the many questions received by our members in Michigan:

Quote from: Susan Parker
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:12 PM
To: Saile, Pamela
Subject: RE: U S Civil Air Patrol

The details are still being worked out so I can't give you any thing
official at this time.  Whatever comes of the decision there will be a
phase in date for any uniform changes.  I'll let you know as soon as
possible.

SUSAN P. PARKER
National Headquarters, Civil Air Patrol
105 S. Hansell Street
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6332
Voice:  XXX-XXX-XXXX, extension XXX
Fax:  XXX-XXX-XXXX

In my mind I'm sure they're trying to work out the way they're going to handle the number of upset members who purchased "U.S." tapes/plates/badges etc.

I'm sure there are those in leadership who want to quickly rescind some of the changes made by Pineda but they still should have waited to share that information until after the decisions have been made.

Just my opinion.

I'm just glad I waited...I know I'm not the only one who had seen the writing on the wall and wanted to wait things out a bit before 'investing' any more of my personal funds.

minor email sanitization -TA

jb512

The strips cost $1.35 each and we all know we'll be given years worth of phase in time to switch back.  I think we'll survive.