US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

TDHenderson

You can have my Wing patch when you pry my cold, dead fingers from around it.

VICTORY OVER CORN!

Tubacap

But I like corn, although I am in agreement for you over the wing patch!

As far as USCAP... a sigh of relief is all I can muster that some cool heads prevail.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

flyguy06

I NEVER bought any "US Civil Air Patrol" tapes in the first place.

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on November 06, 2007, 06:00:01 AM
Kinda like a guy who was in our Army Observer Course way back: he gets our aircraft name, "Mohawk" tattooed on his arm, then washes-out of the course.

"Bummer, dude: heard you now gotta go to Cook's school."

"Yeah, but first I have to get this tattoo retouched..."

Looking back, odds were against him from the beginning.

That's one reason why I never buy badges or patches until I've earned them. Didn't even buy Army Aircrew wings until the day I graduated.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 06, 2007, 09:53:47 PM
I NEVER bought any "US Civil Air Patrol" tapes in the first place.

You couldn't get anything else for a while.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

Ah, just think of how much money they will be worth to CAP patch collectors in 20 years!

O-Rex

Quote from: RiverAux on November 06, 2007, 10:53:53 PM
Ah, just think of how much money they will be worth to CAP patch collectors in 20 years!

You can have mine now. . . .

JC004

Quote from: O-Rex on November 07, 2007, 12:27:16 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 06, 2007, 10:53:53 PM

You can have mine now. . . .

Same here.  Get your US CAP branch tapes and command patches while they're hot!

fyrfitrmedic

How long until we see "L@@K - RARE!" USCAP tapes on eBay?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

isuhawkeye

My only problem with this entire thing is that almost the entire active core of Iowa wing members had their uniforms changed to meet the U.S. CAP mandate.  This rapid reversal is just as (If not more) harmful to our members than its improper implementation.

My $.02

dwb

With a mandatory wear date of 2010, why would anyone run out and change their current uniform?  Am I the only person who suspected the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" fad would go away with the CAP/CC that invented it?

cnitas

No, you were not the only one.

Our squadron had not implemented the USCAP tapes, and since we have a supply of CAP tapes, none of our cadets are/will be affected. 

Being on the cutting edge is dangerous...you might get cut.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

TankerT

Quote from: justin_bailey on November 07, 2007, 03:01:18 PM
With a mandatory wear date of 2010, why would anyone run out and change their current uniform?  Am I the only person who suspected the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" fad would go away with the CAP/CC that invented it?

Actually, the nameplates were set to change March of 2008.  So, I know many members that ordered the plates with US on them, predicting a Vanguard shortage when there was a run on them close to the mandated change date...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

A.Member

I don't know anyone personally that bought new nametapes (just those that state as much here) nor have I seen any in person.   I suspect those here are a very disportionate representation (keep  in mind that a good portion of our membership can't get a basic uniform put together correctly).  As such, I expect the overall to the membership impact to be very minor.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TankerT

Quote from: A.Member on November 07, 2007, 03:38:07 PM
I don't know anyone personally that bought new nametapes (just those that state as much here) nor have I seen any in person.   I suspect those here are a very disportionate representation (keep  in mind that a good portion of our membership can't get a basic uniform put together correctly).  As such, I expect the overall to the membership impact to be very minor.

I actually know several people.  In fact, more than I can keep track of on my fingers AND toes.  While, they are the minority, the number of folks I have come across is not trivial.

capchiro

Since the mandatory wear date wasn't until 2010, it sounds like someone in Iowa jumped the gun a little bit.  But then again, perhaps Iowa will continue to wear the USCAP name tapes in an attempt to establish what the rest of us will wear??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Its "not jumping the gun" implementing an approved change, especially if by coincidence you're configuring new uniforms anyway.

At $1 each, this isn't the worst thing that's ever been done...

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

I would imagine, from reading and hearing all about Iowa's way for the past year, that this change was mandated by someone in authority in Iowa and that is why all of the members have been harmed as mentioned above.  I know of no one except new members that have changed to the USCAP nametape in our Wing.  Implementing an approved change by the mandatory wear date is one thing.  Mandating the change 3 years prior to the mandatory wear date is quite another.  If National didn't mandate it prior to 2010, then it would appear that someone overstepped their authority by requiring the change prior to nationals requirements.  National Reg's take precedence over lower units without experssed approval.  I would have to consider Iowa to be a "lower unit".  The point I am trying to make is that it has appeared that Iowa has mandated a lot of Reg changes that are not mandated by National and any time a lower unit does so, they do so at some risk.  JMHO..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

TankerT

Quote from: capchiro on November 07, 2007, 04:04:32 PM
Since the mandatory wear date wasn't until 2010, it sounds like someone in Iowa jumped the gun a little bit.  But then again, perhaps Iowa will continue to wear the USCAP name tapes in an attempt to establish what the rest of us will wear??

2010 was the date for the nametapes.
2008 was the date for the nameplates.

Two separate items.

Plus, after the change was made, (with a slight delay for Vanguard production ramp up) you couldn't buy name tapes that didn't have the US on them.

So while Iowa did jump the gun, the nameplate date did affect people due to the approaching due date...

TDHenderson

Well, not everyone in Iowa made the change.  I'm glad I didn't!